Home Selling in Cape Coral>Question Details

Trulia Cape…, Other/Just Looking in Cape Coral, FL

How do you sell with sitting tenants?

Asked by Trulia Cape Coral, Cape Coral, FL Tue Apr 30, 2013

Answers

9
Sam (Rosa) Yaffey’s answer
As the selling realtor, I ask the landlord for permission to talk with the tenants. I get to know the tenants and reassure them that I will work to minimize disruption to their lives by scheduling showings according to the instructions worked out with the landlord.
We often forget that tenants are people too. They're naturally concerned that they'll have to go through all the hassles of moving and relocating their kids and more. A win-win is to find them a new landlord that appreciates his good tenants.
Very difficult especially when Tenants have not secured a new property. This is not a good situation & either try to get them out or take a walk for showings.
Tenants can make it impossible for the seller to get the property sold. I scheduled a showing for a buyer on a tenant occupied property a couple of weeks ago and the tenant promised the listing agent he would allow it to be shown (he hasn't been being cooperative). When we showed up for the appointment as scheduled his truck was in the driveway and he was home but wouldn't allow us inside.

Tenants don't want to be bothered and in most cases they don't want to have to move so they make showings difficult. I have found they are much more cooperative if the buyer is an investor who plans on renting the property out as they know if an investor buys it they can continue to rent the home.
Those are often difficult to show and sale if the tenants are not cooperating with showings. An option is to offer the tenant a cash refund if the buyer comments on "how clean and organize the tenants are keeping the property" and they make it easily available to show. Explain to them this will also be a good selling point if they want to stay on the property and want the new buyer to continue leasing to them. At the end everyone wins. Was this answer helpful? If so please click on the "green thumbs up" or the "best answer".

Tony Vega
Antonelli Realty
Hello there...

Do your tenants have a lease? If so when does it expire?

Florida law states a renters lease must be honored.

When you list the home for sale, simply have your Realtor state that the lease must be honored and expires ----

If the lease expires in the coming months you will have no problems with showing to buyers that intend to be end users

If they have many months yet on their lease, this will look attractive to an investor.

If you would like to talk further feel free to contact me at 239-677-7186.... I am always here and happy to help

All The Best,

Debbie Stack
Sunshine Realty of SWFL
You have to love the tenants as much as you love the seller and potential buyers. After all, it's their lives that are being interrupted. You have to let them know you will do your best to meet their concerns, not just the seller's or buyer's.
Plus you want to keep the tenants happy, in case the buyer turns out to be their landlord.

I've had 5 listed homes so far this year with tenants in place. The sellers and I worked together to keep the good tenants in place. One tenant though had trouble paying the rent, plus that home needed some minor renovation. So the seller terminated the month-to-month lease, painted the interior, replaced the carpet, and other minor repairs. That home is now under contract to a very nice young couple as their first home.

By the way, I thank my sellers' tenants after closing - Again it was the tenants who had their lives interrupted for showings, had to worry about the future buyer not wanting them to stay, and had to worry if they would like their future landlord.
24 Hour notice to tenants. i work around the tenants schedule
You market to investors showing rent roll, maintenance schedule, reserve, NOI, ROI, cap rate. Take a ton of photos and video of all angles, set up schedule to show working with tenant, no random showing.
You just make arrangements to show the property around the tenants' schedule.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com