Natalia Hunt…, Real Estate Pro in Marietta, GA

How do you select a Real Estate Agent that is right for you?

Asked by Natalia Hunter, Marietta, GA Thu Apr 4, 2013

Debi Key & Deryk Harper’s answer
Natalia, I agree with Barbara, the right agent is crucial when purchasing a home. My husband & I work as a husband & wife top team for Keller Williams Realty. I go out "shopping" with the buyer & my husband comes in after we have found your home & negotiates with the Listing Agent. Some Realtors specialize in marketing Listings (Representing Owners whose homes are for sale) and some specialize in being a buyer's agent (representing your best interest as a buyer). We offer the best of both. My background is in contract paralegal work in that I would perform the real estate closings for the attorneys. My husband's background is in technology & negotiating. Once we have set down for our buyer's consultation (where you receive a 1st time homebuyer book) & feel comfortable working with us exclusively, we would allow you to "shop" just like a Realtor with our technology tools. All contracts we do are thru Docusign to make it easy for your busy schedule. Again, picking the right agent is crucial & you want someone to represent your best interest & break down the whole process for you. Feel free to call me 770-906-0317 with any questions.
Hi Natalia,
I agree with everything said here! In addition, just like the selection of any professional you will choose to do business with, trust your instincts. Look for someone whose personal style will complement yours and is willing to really listen to and understand your needs.
Good luck in finding and agent right for YOU!
Hello Natalia,
The right agent is so imperative for any home seller or buyer. Remember the best selling agent is the best listing agent. I live and work in this area so I can tell you that when I do a listing, I put verbiage in that will attract the buyers I am working with in the area. Experience is most important and I suggest you get a tech savvy agent as most homes are viewed on the internet at some point in the process by home buyers.. I sold the last 2 listings the same day I listed. Please call me if you would like to sell fast and at the best possible price. I love what I do. The sellers are always happy with my results. I would be happy to assist you.
Thank you so much
Barbara Martin
These 4 things are most critical:

- Agent has to be a market expert in your area or specialize in a particular type of property you are buying or selling (commercial, luxury, farm, land, etc)
- Work full-time working real estate;
- Be able to provide personal track record of sales while representing buyers or sellers:
L/SP ratio, Other concessions negotiated, DOM, etc.;
- Provide verifyable recommendations.
Interview them.
Ask yourself: What do they have to offer? How can they help me acheive my real estate goals?
Do we have good rapport?.....

Laquita Baez
Licensed Realtor in GA and NJ
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Metrobrokers
12 Questions to Ask When Choosing a Real Estate Agent

Make sure you choose a real estate agent who will provide top-notch service and meet your unique needs.

How long have you been in residential real estate sales? Is it your full-time job? While experience is no guarantee of skill, real estate — like many other professions — is mostly learned on the job.

What designations do you hold? Designations such as GRI and CRS — which require that agents take additional, specialized real estate training — are held by only about one-quarter of real estate practitioners.

How many homes did you and your real estate brokerage sell last year? By asking this question, you’ll get a good idea of how much experience the practitioner has.

How many days did it take you to sell the average home? How did that compare to the overall market? The realtor you interview should have these facts on hand, and be able to present market statistics from the local MLS to provide a comparison.

How close to the initial asking prices of the homes you sold were the final sale prices? This is one indication of how skilled the realtor is at pricing homes and marketing to suitable buyers. Of course, other factors also may be at play, including an exceptionally hot or cool real estate market.

What types of specific marketing systems and approaches will you use to sell my home? You don’t want someone who’s going to put a For Sale sign in the yard and hope for the best. Look for someone who has aggressive and innovative approaches, and knows how to market your property competitively on the Internet. Buyers today want information fast, so it’s important that your realtor is responsive.

Will you represent me exclusively, or will you represent both the buyer and the seller in the transaction? While it’s usually legal to represent both parties in a transaction, it’s important to understand where the practitioner’s obligations lie. Your realtor should explain his or her agency relationship to you and describe the rights of each party.

Can you recommend service providers who can help me obtain a mortgage, make home repairs, and help with other things I need done? Because realtors are immersed in the industry, they’re wonderful resources as you seek lenders, home improvement companies, and other home service providers. Practitioners should generally recommend more than one provider and let you know if they have any special relationship with or receive compensation from any of the providers.

What type of support and supervision does your brokerage office provide to you? Having resources such as in-house support staff, access to a real estate attorney, and assistance with technology can help an agent sell your home.

What's your business philosophy? While there's no right answer to this question, the response will help you assess what’s important to the agent and determine how closely the agent’s goals and business emphasis mesh with your own.

How will you keep me informed about the progress of my transaction? How frequently? Again, this is not a question with a correct answer, but it reflects your desires. Do you want updates twice a week or do you not want to be bothered unless there’s a hot prospect? Do you prefer phone, e-mail, or a personal visit?

Could you please give me the names and phone numbers of your three most recent clients? Ask recent clients if they would work with this realtor again. Find out whether they were pleased with the communication style, follow-up, and work ethic of the real estate agent.

Fred Yancy, Broker
Crye-Leike Realtors
(678) 799-4663
Hi Natalia
A very good question because the real estate agent and loan officer you choose are so very important. Experience is critical especially if your market is experiencing a rush and multipul offers on properties. Ethics is the critical qualifier. They also must be experienced with the various processes involved with all of the loan types. FHA, USDA, FHA 203k, and the assistance and grants available in your state, if you are a first time home buyer.
Gather up lots of information here from Trulia and you will also find an article at Your-Road-Home, Consultation Interviewing Real Estate Agents, that will serve you well. If you read the articles in the numbered order you will become a very savvy home buyer. Be sure to read #9 about the MCC tax credit. The best tax credit ever for first time home buyers.
After your full of useful information you will also find on Trulia agents and loan officers from your area offering their services. A very good source.
Best of Luck, Stephen