Danielle Sil…, Renter in Chicago, IL

How do you know that an agent is a good fit for you? We have interviewed several and worked with a few, but we keep missing the mark..

Asked by Danielle Silverman, Chicago, IL Mon Aug 13, 2012

Answers

8
It is a really good question. Everyone has their own goals with selling. I would say it has to be someone you feel comfortable with and who is committed to the same goal you are. But be honest with yourself first. This is not an easy market. Sellers are competing with lessor-priced properties for buyers. But on the other hand, buyers are sometimes looking to have a home ready to move in. Price is everything in this market and buyers have a lot of choices. So, if you are dealing with a lot of agents and no one is selling your property, you need to look at if your goals on price and selling are realistic. I know it is a tough pill to swallow, but it is the market today. There are a lot of benefits to selling and getting a better deal on your next property. But it could mean a sacrifice in price.

There are a lot of agents out there. No one has magic. Sometimes, the agent who tells you the truth and not what you want to hear may be the best one for you. Also, I would look for service.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 13, 2012
Dear Suzanne,
Thank you for your candor. Be assured that we have been earnest and realistic. We have priced our home as advised by our agent and have lowered the price six times in one year. Each each adjustment, we have been the lowest priced house with our lot size and features. That hasn't mattered, in fact our activity has gone down each time we've lowered the price. Our home requires marketing and that service has not been provided. When we've asked for ideas, we have been treated very badly. Price is a critical factor, but so is proefssionalism. What people say before you sign a listing agreement and how they behave after that agreement has been signed is remarkably different.
Flag Mon Aug 13, 2012
That is a really great questions. Unfortunately I think the best answer is that you just know.

Personally, I think you should feel confident and comfortable that the agent is going to actually be representing your best interests and has an executable strategy for getting you the best possible terms for your property that can be clearly articulated. I would also look for an agent that is willing to tell you things that you might not want to hear. I find that all to often, agents will say whatever they think you want to hear to get the listing.

I am happy to talk to you to find out if we might be a good fit. I have an excellent track record with people in your position. Take a look at what some of my past clients have said about me by following the link below.

Best of luck!

Evan
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 13, 2012
Hopefully your house is sold by now!
Hi Danielle,
I'm a Realtor and managing Broker for Coldwell Banker Evanston. I would suggest you make a list of what is most important to you. For example when selling your home it might be: 1) internet presence and exposure 2) strength of the company and marketing reach 3) personability of the agent 4) availability of the agent 5) experience in the marketplace and so on. First look through some online profiles of agents and see who mentions the things on your list off the bat in their profile. You will likely ensure that you will be happy with their responses if they are already seeming like they are on the same page as you. From there schedule 2-3 interviews and compare the listing presentations- how prepared the agent was, how knowledgeable they seemed, if they answered your questions to your satisfaction and so on. Best of luck finding a wonderful agent, if you would like any recommendations for a CB agent please email me at Barbara.Kleban@cbexchange.com or call at 847-784-7393
Be upfront with them as to exactly what you want in their services. That way your expectations are met.
Well, here is my thought on it, and being a Realtor it may be a little in my colleagues favor.... but here it
goes: I think that it is probably just as intriguing to find the right Realtor for YOU as it is or was to find the right partner in life, or in business, the best friends, the right dentist, the right family physician and on and on.

For a Realtor, please remember it is not just YOU interviewing the Realtor, the Realtor should also interview YOU, in the sense that there should be a clear and shared communication about what you
need, wish or want when selling your home in Highland Park, and you will probably have a whole basket full of personal and financial reasons for it and the Realtor will interview you or so he or she
should to find out how motivated you are, what the financials are of your property, where you want to
go and what you want to do after the sale, how much time you have for either and most of all what
you motivation is.

Once that has been honestly discussed then both sides need to take a deep breath and be deadly honest and serious about what the market allows and how your property will play in today's market.
Not what you paid for the home, not how much you still owe on the home, not what it is that you need to get financially out of the home to move to the next BUT WHAT FOR YOUR HOME, SIZE, AGE, UPDATES, LOT SIZE, LOCATION ETC. ETC. compared to recently sold homes and also
currently on the market homes (which you are competing with) THE MARKET WILL ACTUALLY ALLOW YOU....

This honesty and straightforward talk from a Realtor is probably one of the most important great characteristics or a truly good agent, not sweetening the deal just to get the listing, but to be truthful, honest and direct, which not always is what a seller likes to hear.

From that honest discussion then a compromise can be arranged, potential price reductions discussed, so that there will be no surprises down the road, constant updates about the market
so that YOU the Seller will know what new competing homes just came on the market.

Of course you just said that you keep missing the mark.....
You really need to connect with one Realtor, who will be straightforward and show you the market
i.e. what has sold, what is on the market and how you should price your home to be competitive.

Also there may be good suggestions by the Agent to be made, may be staging, may be moving or
removing furniture, landscaping updates or or or it just really depends on your home.

Then you want to be kept informed on a continuous basis, cooperate with showing requests,
and hopefully you will have ended up with a Realtor you have good rapport with, who understands you and your needs, and who will personally take care of you, your home and your listing.....
and if that Realtor does all the work with a smile YOU WILL BE IN GOOD HANDS AND CERTAINLY NOT HAVE MISSED THE MARK :)

Good Luck to you....

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Danielle,
Communication and follow through are key to your success with an agent. Being up front with your expectations and great two way communications are paramount in developing a good working relationship. You need to partner with the agent. Your success will depend on how well each side understands the others expectations and needs. This comes with time.

Gary Geer

http://www.ggeer.illinoisproperty.com
Can u explain "missing the mark?"
Sounds like you've had a rough time.
Coleen