Home Selling in Ohio>Question Details

Jen Allen, Both Buyer and Seller in Ohio

How do you handle a difficult buyer and bad (and false) home inspection?

Asked by Jen Allen, Ohio Wed Mar 14, 2012

They negotiated occupancy with us for a week giving us a very hard time to which we finally conceded even if it mean s a double move for us. They are giving us the asking price but we have to cover FHA closing costs of $4K. At their inspection the inspector told him that the house foundation is "slipping off the footers" and they were getting ready to cancel the contract. This is not true! I had to call a foundation expert and spend $150 to get an inspection and report stating what the issues are. (The foundation has cracks that leak during heavy rain in our unfinished basement which are obvious and disclosed. Also porch is settling which is obvious and disclosed). I'm about at the end of my rope with this whole situation. The rest of the house is in great condition new kitchen, new master bath, new windows. HVAC and roof are half way through their life and we're offering a home warrenty.

Answers

3
To follow up on this. It's going to cost $2900 to install a sump and waterproof basement just to satisfy FHA. So this is quickly adding up to be over $7000. We paid $119 in 2001. LP was 122,900 so total net is $115. I'm already 4K in the hole and get the joy of being living with my In-laws and moving twice (also extra money) because of the buyers inflexibility. Am I wrong in feeling ripped off and frustrated? Keep in mind I want to move but I don't NEED to move.. I'm actually hoping they cancel at this point....
If the buyer is now satisfied with the foundation issue don't let your frustration take over and lose the sale of the home. I totally agree with Marie Souza's response.
A foundation issue, is a BIG issue. Many buyers would be very scared by that. You did the right thing to get it inspected & provide them with the report. What you have to ask yourself is if another buyer is willing to overlook these issues & give you this same price. In other words, is $4,150 out of your pocket to make this deal happen worth it to be done & moving on?