Home Selling in Conyers>Question Details

Jadaprincess, Home Seller in Conyers, GA

How do you fire your realtor legally?

Asked by Jadaprincess, Conyers, GA Tue Oct 26, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


The same way a realtor fires a seller or buyer!

After having first made a good faith attempt to resolve the issue or disagreement at hand, and having been unsuccessful in doing so, simply send a notice in writing that you would like to termintate the agreement. In your case, and depending on the situation you may be subject to paying any marketing fees and costs to date before the Broker will agree to termination.

Good Luck!
3 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 26, 2010
In writing, Jada, to the Realtor and the broker. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 26, 2010

Answers that say you should fire you agent in writing are incomplete and wrong, at least in California. I suspect that is true in any state because your agreement with your Realtor is a contract. A contract is an agreement between two parties and one party cannot unilaterally cancel the contract. If the real estate law in Georgia is similar to that in California, and I have no idea if it is, the contract is actually between you (the seller) and the Broker of the real estate company. If you are unhappy with your Realtor and that person is a sales agent who is working for the Broker, talk to the Broker and discuss your options. The Broker will want to retain your business and may assign your listing to another agent.
If the Broker is your Realtor, you still need to talk to that person. Express your dissatisfaction. Perhaps you can continue with the relationship if your Broker has a better understanding of your disappointment and your opinion of the Broker’s failings. A new sense of dedication of the part of the Broker may be possible.
If the relationship is totally broken, ask for a release from your contract. It doesn’t do the Broker much good to hold an unhappy client to a listing contract.
As others have commented, you may be liable for fees to the Broker. Make sure you are clear on the issue, also.
Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 30, 2010
Listing agreements are different in different states, but typically doing so in writing will work. Unfortunately in Texas a broker can still demand commissions, but most agents/brokers will not hold an unhappy client to that.. it's just bad business!

Sorry to hear you're unhappy, best of luck to you!
Web Reference: http://www.zarealestate.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 27, 2010
Most times agents encounter this problem with buyers and sellers when other agents come by to flavorize their expertise and ability to deliver more gain to sellers or lesser bargain for the buyer. Or a relative shows up with "I still have my license."
As it is compelling on Realtors to be ethical and educated, we also demand fairness from our prospects, customers and clients.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 27, 2010
You may fire the agent but, this agent can be entitled to the full commission. The situation can be when you are under a contract or negotiating with buyer/seller.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 27, 2010
Call the Broker and put it in writing. Get a signed returned copy for your records. Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 27, 2010
Like Trump. Put it in writing and send it to the broker with return receipt requested or in person and have them acknowledge receipt.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 27, 2010
In many cases, you can simply do so in writing. Your listing contract may specify specific steps to take to "terminate" the contract, so check it for details. If you have questions about the termination, you can talk to the office broker for details. If that's not an option, then an attorney should be consulted.

I hope you have better results on the next try!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 26, 2010
Hello Princess,
True, in writing. Especially after you have tried all you can to discuss lapses and deficiencies.
Most Brokers will re-assign you to another Realtor in that office that may suite your expectation.
It needs to be done with care if you have a purchase contract with this Realtor. You may be better off to endure it to the end (my opinion.)
Legally? You may consult with a legal practitioner.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 26, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer