Phillip, Home Buyer in Staten Island, NY

How do you enable potential buyers to envision a home look they would like to have, rather than looking for flaws in the home?

Asked by Phillip, Staten Island, NY Wed Sep 25, 2013

No buyer moves into a home without making some changes to paint, carpet, or interior decor. Some homes can always use an update, yet many prospective buyers don't make offers to buy homes because they can't imagine re-decorating without thinking a major renovation project rather than considering just cosmetic improvements.

Answers

8
Phillip,

This is a great question........one of the things we subscribe to is making certain the buyers have a clear appreciation for what they both personally wand and do not want in their future home. By focusing their attention on the qualities they desire and deplore, this should minimize the focus on flaws.

We ask customers to generate two lists. one that clearly identifies all the features that the must have in their new home while the second is a list of features they absolutely don't want. This can evolve into a third list that contains items that they could go either way on. We ask them to bring their lists with them during showing to refer to. The real challenge surfaces when the husband and wife can't agree on this information......but this is an entirely different matter!

Hope this helps,

Funnily enough, I wrote about this on my own website last week.

Short answer is it's going to depend on the home. You want it to show so well that the buyers don't have anything to question. It's why I tell sellers to do something as simple as dusting all of their a/c vents just in case, as it gives the buyers one less item to nitpick. And once buyers find one such item, they'll be alert to looking for as many as possible rather than being awed by the house.

If, in your own mind, there's something that could cause a buyer to question the house, fix it.

And as for the direct answer to the question ... that's we do when we put a home on the market.
Phillip,
Your argument is similar to a resturant blaming the diner not not liking the meal.
A store blaming the customer for not buying the item displayed.
-
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE SELLER TO POSITION THE PRODUCT CORRECTLY TO THE BUYER TO CAUSE THE BUYER TO RESPOND AS DIRECTED!
-
Of course, I understand that folks are going to do whatever they want to do and find others to blame for the outcome.
-
Here is the choice you have to make. Do you want to compete on price. Ugly houses get low prices. I actually read a seller argue a buyer should pay for the home based on value projections 3 years ahead. Folks will do whatever they want to do.
-
Do you want to compete by emotion. .Pretty, clean, uncluttered, well maintained homes get top dollar.
-

YOU choose if you want to sell high or low. Blaming the buyer, agent, broker, FSBO across the street or even the buyers lack of vision is an exercise of fultility. The fatal combination is the seller who prices an ugly home high becuase they added the 'vision' premium.
-
To answer your 'How to" question.....YOU SHOW THEM.
The less furniture the better. Try to make the rooms what they are. Don't keep boxes of toys ins what is suppose to be the dining room. Definitely paint and make sure the house has some curb appeal. tHROW ALL CLUTTER AWAY OR PUT IN STORAGE WHILE SHOWING THE HOME. This way it looks like you have sufficient living space in your home.
Put all together what Kuwain, Gail, & Gary, said: minor repairs +blank canvas+ some ideas+serious (but realistic) buyer = new home!!
Too many agents don't know how to help a buyer envision what the home will look like when they are in it. A good agent will give buyers ideas on how to decorate. A good agent will imagine what they would do and let the buyer hear his/her thoughts. That, in my experience, has started my buyers imagination and they begin thinking out loud on how to decorate the home. This does not always lead to an offer but it, at least, gets the buyer thinking. Its up to the agent to give advice on re-decorating or renovating.

I try to do that each and every time I show a home.
Phillip,

Sellers should minimize furnishings; more is less. They should remove all religious artifacts and all family photos. House should be repainted neutral colors.

Basically, stage the home. Give the buyer a "blank canvas" on which they can paint their own designs.
Hello Phillip,

Buyers that are this fussy may not be serious. Most home will require some touch up work.

I suggest you get your home in the best possible shape your budget and time allows.

If the home is in need of repairs, make them. If you are unable to make the repairs offer to issue a credit at close of escrow to buyer , so they can have repairs made.

If your home is in good shape and priced right, you should be able to secure a SERIOUS buyer. Keep in min some people are "shoppers: vs. "buyers".

"shoppers" look at several homes, and find something wrong with each and every one of them. These "shoppers" often end up buy nothing.

I hope a REAL SERIOU buyer comes your way soon.

Kawain Payne, Realtor