Home Selling in Minnetonka>Question Details

Judy Cross, Home Seller in Minnetonka, MN

How do you cancel listing agreement with Realtor?

Asked by Judy Cross, Minnetonka, MN Sun Jul 4, 2010

A listing agreement is an instrument to protect both the sellers rights and the agent's rights. If either the seller or agent isn't living up to the promises made before the agreement they both have the right to cancel anytime (most people don't realize this). As an agent I would much rather have an unhappy client cancel the agreement with my blessings than to have an unhappy client who feels trapped in an agreement and may tell his/her friends of their woes.
That being said (and i've heard of this happening countless times) some agents may tell you that you are bound by the agreement and cannot cancel. In that instance call their broker directly and explain. A good broker will release you. And, if they happen to be the broker contact the Bureau of Real Estate and report the person.
Contact your Realtor and explain why you wish to cancel your listing agreement. There may be ways he or she can help.
First call your Realtor and express your intent. You will need to sign a cancellation. If a withdraw notice is sent over, that will limit what you can do within a certain time period. Make sure it's a "cancellation". If he/she doesn't send one over, write a letter specifically stating your desire to cancel and the reason why.
When any client signs a listing or buyers agent contract , I explain to them the length of the contract and all that I will do to ensure their satisfaction. I also explain that, if for any reason, during the terms of the contract they are not satisfied, I will be happy to cancel the contract. I do not want to be in a contract that doesn't want to be working with me. As part of the contract, I ask that, should this happen, my hard expenses be covered (signs, brochures etc - although the time is of course lost). While no one has taken me up on it....it is peace of mind for both of us. My business is not based on individual sales and contracts, it is based on ensuring customer satisfaction that leads to lifelong referrals.
Web Reference: http://www.lorischneck.com
A listing agreement is just like a contract made with a Cell phone company, internet service, etc, etc ,etc.
What would happned if you want to cancel a cell phone contract? Search for the answer.

A Exclusive Listing contract is a two parties paperwork. Also, listings "belong" to the broker, Agents represents the brokers in Minnesota.

Call the Realtor and ask if there is a posibility to cancel the listing. Also, put on mind that some work, efford and money had been invested in your property, even if you think nothing has been done.

Communication is alwasy a key for any door.
Actually, Delilah - you can't just decide to cancel a listing agreement, and expect the broker to release you automatically.

If you have decided not to sell your home for personal reasons, that is one thing - call the agent and explain your situation. You certainly cannot be forced to keep your home on the market if you decided you don't want to sell. Just know that if your home is withdrawn, the agency can still hold you to the contract , and you won't be able to relist with another agent, or sell your home on your own, They will still be entitled to a commission until the isiting date is up.

If, however, you decided you want to list with another agent , or try to sell on your own - - I wouldn't expect the current agent to simply allow you to walk away or give you an unconditional release.
If there are problems you have having with your agent, you need to sit down and discuss them with the agent and his or her broker. Hopefully, you can work things out.

They may or not release you from the listing - that is to be determined.

Best wishes............
Contact your agent and tell him/her to fill out the paperwork and come over for your signature.