Home Selling in Boston>Question Details

Frank Hays, Home Seller in Boston, MA

How do agents identify a property that is waterfront or great for nature lovers?

Asked by Frank Hays, Boston, MA Wed Jul 10, 2013

Answers

7
Frank,
Agents who are knowledgeable regarding waterfront properties, such as myself, actually have created a database of those homes. We've been to them, driven by them, qualified them.
For instance, I have 731 big water view homes qualified as being newer construction or very well maintained. An experienced, knowledgable agent will be able to direct the buyer to those communites where a $700,000 Big water view can be purchased and what communites have the 'sand in your toes' waterfronts for $1,500,000. Which ones look at the Gulf and which ones have wide canal view; which are point and which are linear.
-
The second list would be the 'blow-up' category for those who want to plant their own home on the water.
-
Unfortunately, relying on the listing agent to enter searchable criteria is not the most reliable method. So that makes the MLS a resource but certainly not the only resource.
-
In many areas of the country, the tax database will identify waterfront properties. On a house by house basis you can find the waterfronts and 'nature' houses. That shouldn't take long.
-
I am condifent the same holds ture in Boston. All Realtors(R) have access to the MLS, but it the agent who 'knows' that represents real value. They know because they drove the street and paid attention.
-
How do you know who they are? Ask the very questions I answered in this note.
"IN what communities in Boston can I buy a big view of the bay for $450,000?" Rather than stating....'Doesn't exist!" the agent will show you the waterfront vaules so you can calibrate your expectations accordingly.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Your agent should use those same keywords to ensure that the property description properly advertises these features. In MLS we do have a tag where we can mark a property as being waterfront, beachfront, and/or detail distance to a beach. Unfortunately, as pointed out below, this is not always properly used and that is where a keyword heavy description comes in to play. Additionally, photos should help tell the story. Show pictures of the home as it relates to nearby trails, beaches, and other points of value. Chances are that what you love about your home will be the same for the next owner and these are the items your marketing plan should focus on. Many MLS searches are setup to be town specific so another option is to expand your reach is to ensure your agent will advertise the property in local newspapers where neighboring towns will also showcase your home. And finally, the power of social media is important. Simply tagging a home with certain keywords is certain to get the word out. Twitter would be a great tool for something like what you seem to need. If you want to further discuss these items, feel free to send me an email.

Danielle M. O'Brien
MBA, ABR®, SFR®, REALTOR®
Broker Associate & Director of Marketing | Patch Realty Group
Mobile - (508) 989 – 1989
danielleobrienRE@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 27, 2013
Ps - you are showing up as a home seller which is partly the reason some of the responses were not to you liking. I would suggest changing your profile to reflect agent and then posting a question such as this in the agent2agent section. I'm sure others have some great ideas they could chime in with!
Flag Mon Jul 29, 2013
Twitter and facebook are my go to's. Also, there are many online publishing that can help you reach a wider yet local audience (such as patch.com - not related to my company Patch Realty Group). They have a real estate section and choose a home of the week.
Flag Mon Jul 29, 2013
Thanks Danielle, this is the best answer I've received! I've taken the summer off thus far but plan to get the efforts cranked up again soon. I'll do much more with social media. Do realtors tend to frequent any particular groups or feeds in social media? Thanks again, Frank
Flag Sun Jul 28, 2013
It will be listed in the amenities of the MLS if its water front or steps away from the water... Here in Connecticut there is a fine for mis representation on a listing thats not fully correct. If the listing states it has these amenities, then it will. You can always call the agent and verify that this listing has water front and nature lover paradise to make sure, and make sure you ask detailed questions about what you are looking for so there is not misunderstanding of whats being asked... how many steps till I'm at waters edge, do I have a dock, or can I have one? How are the trees... new or mature?
Based on the responses received I should have stated the question differently.
How does a home seller convey to wider range of buyers that their property has a great water view or is perfect for nature lovers. It's likely that anyone searching in my town will realize that is the type of property but how would people searching for that kind of property in the Boston Metro area see it?
We learn the taste of the buyer and apply that to our knowledge of areas and properties that are on the market.
We are leading, waterfront, specialists on Cape Cod.

http://www.RobertPaul.com

I would contact a local real estate professional to help with this answer and to save time and money.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Thanks very much for your answer. Based on the responses received I should have stated the question differently.
Flag Mon Jul 15, 2013
Frank that's easy, just call me.

After a few minutes of conversation, I will have a thorough understanding of your needs, wants and ability. With that I will provide you a list of those that meet your needs. We can whittle it down to a few that you would like to view.

If none meet your needs, I will find it for you even if it is not on the market.

Louis
Frank

Honestly it all boils down to an agent that knows the area they are working with. Make sure you pick an expert in the town you are focusing your search on. Pick an Realtor and meet with them to discuss your must haves and then use their experience and expertise to help you find your dream home.