Kaybee, Home Seller in 07016

How do Realtors answer questions about recent flooding when selling a house in Cranford?

Asked by Kaybee, 07016 Wed Feb 8, 2012

We want to put our house on the market and want to know the official opinion of Cranford Realtors regarding the questions about flooding. Our home was flooded during Irene along with 1500 others. It is completely remodeled and in move in condition. What is the response when asked by potential buyers about flooding? Are details given or is the response "this home needs flood insurance"? Is it wise to use a Cranford/local realtor or out of town realtor?

Answers

10
Anne KELLY’s answer
ANNE KELLY (908-202-9003) A top producing Realtor for 20+ YEARS, covering Cranford,Westfield,Mountainside,Scotch Plains,Fanwood and surrounding areas.
A Cranford resident for more then 30 years, I work out of Coldwell Banker Westfield East the top C.B. office in Nation. Cranford is a very stable community with highly rated schools, easy access to all forms of transportation. Parks and a GREAT downtown. Yes, Cranford along with many other communities was hit with Irene but the Town, County and State have worked together to make the improvements necessary. You cannot count on any community to NEVER be hit with unexpected storms.Re: disclosure, it is best to always tell the truth. If your mortgage requires flood insurance then you MUST revel that. If you are not in a federal Flood area then it is best you revel you had flooding during Irene.
Call/text me 908-202-9003 I will be delighted to give you
Here is very positive and current news about Cranford homes designated in a flood zone.....several homes that were flooded as a result of Irene have come on the market this year and have sold for market value, NOT distressed pricing. Some of these homes had several feet of water on the 1st floor.
The buyers were aware of the flooding and property flood designation. They weighed the pros and cons and chose to buy these homes and take advantage of all that Cranford offers.
Most of our buyers at this time are coming from Jersey City, Hoboken, Staten Island, Brooklyn and Manhattan. Our schools, conveniences for the daily commuter, endless recreation opportunities and robust downtown are the primary reasons for our town's appeal.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 27, 2012
well Kaybee - since you asked this question over 7 months ago...if you're still here reading this....did you ever sell your home?
HI Kaybee,
I recently listed a home in Cranford that is in the flood zone. The Realtor who lists your home must be honest to the buyers that ask questions about the flooding. I usually will disclose in the listing that flood insurance is required so that the buyer's agent knows that up front. The seller also fills out a "Sellers Disclosure" where they answer questions to the best of their knowledge- here is where you would disclose if your home is in a flood zone, and you can also list the repairs you have made from the damage. Honesty is the best policy. I did sell the home I listed in the flood zone and it is closing shortly. I am also working on listing another home in the flood zone in the beginning of October. It is wise to use a local Realtor as they would be most familiar with the town, concerns of flooding, and they will also be able to point out all the wonderful positives on living in Cranford. My office is located in Short Hills- however I currently live in Cranford and have done quite a bit of business here. Please feel free to reach out to me should you have any questions or if I can be of any help! Best of luck to you.
I too am a Cranford resident living near Nomahegan Park I would say we are obligated to tell the truth when answering all buyers questions whether they are flood related or not. We too had a flooded basement due to power outage. A power outage can occur after any powerful storm.
The mayors and army corp of engineers have been consulted on how to prevent this type of flooding from happening again. How does anyone stop a storm? Would you not live in a beach because a hurricane may occur? Then maybe a beach house is not for you. I believe it is wise to use a local realtor whom you trust.
Hi Kaybee- my recommendation is to be honest about what happened and what you did to cure it. If your home does need flood insurance, that is an important thing to disclose. Better to be upfront and move forward with a buyer that is well informed than risk losing a deal when undisclosed issues come to light down the road.

I think it makes sense to hire a local agent - be sure that she/he has a command for online marketing - that's where the buyers are today.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwaveing Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
We are upfront with all the buyers inquiries, and find ways to help with the financiing or what ever is needed to help the buyer and the seller, we are working on a home in Venetia Ave, Cranford, was also flooded and now renovated, we will disclose all to prospective buyers and avoid any future litigations and responsabilities for the seller.
Most Realtors would ask you to provide a disclosure statement where you would provide details on your property. Use a Realtor that you trust and can work with. Regards,
Yes - I understand the part of full disclosure. Given that I have made full disclosure about the flooding, how likely is it that the realtor will be able to sell the home? What is the dialog between them and the buyer? I see alot of homes for sales in Cranford.
basic rule... if your home has ever flooded, you must disclose that info to the realtor and to the buyer

if you do not, you can be sued!