Home Selling in Englewood>Question Details

bbn1980, Home Seller in Englewood, NJ

How do I transfer the title on my home in the US from abroad?

Asked by bbn1980, Englewood, NJ Tue Sep 3, 2013

I currently live in the Philippines for work but my wife still lives in the US because our kids are still finishing school. We are currently thinking about selling our home (in NJ) so I would like to transfer the title of the home to my wife so she has 100% of the title (we are currently both on the title) so she can sell the property without me having to be there or making the task more complicated. How do I go about transferring the title fully to my wife? Thanks for looking!

Help the community by answering this question:


Geez. Contact a lawyer before you do that. Frankly--and I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice--that's a terrible idea. There's no need to transfer the title to your wife. There are also tax implications involved. You will be making the task FAR more complicated doing it your way.

Look: Keep it simple. Have your wife interview and select a Realtor in the U.S. Let the Realtor handle it for you. If it's necessary, your Realtor can suggest a lawyer.

Hope that helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 3, 2013
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
You can use a New Jersey lawyer that works in real estate matters. Most homes can be sold however utilizing electronic signing and you can do snail mail signing by giving your wife power of attorney to sell the home. That is a much easier way to go about it. Either way, since I'm not a lawyer, I would suggest going through them and asking them about having your wife as power of attorney when selling your home.
It would be my pleasure to help your wife to sell her home in Englewood as I have lived in Englewood, Tenafly and Cresskill almost all of my life.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 9, 2014
In response to your question, I have accomplished this with an attorney.It is important to do with an attorney as the new title must be recorded properly, otherwise there can be issues when it comes to selling the property.
Please contact me if I can be of further assistance to you.

All the best!
Fern Malka
Royal Realty Services LLC
Cell. 201.281.6369
Email. FernMalka@Gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 4, 2013

Check with attorney but as a married couple who have lived in the house there is no way for you to avoid being available to sign for the sale of your home. There is no way to transfer the home to your spouse when you have both lived in it unless there is a divorce.

It is very easy for you to sell it even though you are in the Philippines. Your attorney can fed Ex you documents to sign once you are near closing. I just did a closing for some one that was overseas.

Contact me and I can help your wife sell the house even though you are overseas.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 4, 2013
We are speaking about a house in NJ. Other states have different laws.
Flag Wed Sep 4, 2013
You can transfer the title to your wife with a quit claim deed, but I agree with Don Tepper - that's a terrible idea.

For one thing, transferring ownership in the USA often creates tax events, which is a heck of a complication. You should be consulting with your attorney and accountant on whether to sell the home, and how to go about it.

With modern communications, selling real estate from overseas is not really difficult or complicated.

All the best,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 3, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer