Home Selling in Mundelein>Question Details

Marissa, Both Buyer and Seller in Mundelein, IL

How do I make our listing description the most attractive and welcoming to buyers?

Asked by Marissa, Mundelein, IL Thu Mar 18, 2010

Do the phrases "motivated seller" or "make an offer!" work to make buyers feel more comfortable putting in an offer when they might otherwise have not? Any other phrases work to make buyers more at ease with walking through or making an offer? What about reminding people of the home buyer tax credit?

So far, everything we've looked at, we are priced right at or a bit below market and there is just alot of inventory and not alot of buyers. Is there anything additional we can put in our listing that would make them walk through our doors and possibly give an offer? We were also considering offering a 46" flat panel TV ... would that be incentive or seem desperate?

Answers

7
Louwu’s answer
This sounds crazy, but actually works in nice neighborhoods of LA/Orange County in California:

Price your initial listing 20% below market value, and in the headlines, say REO. You'll get 30-50 ppl a day AND your home will get bid up to near or even above market value.

Not kidding.
Motivated buyer = offer low please

Offered below market price would be a good phrase.

The tv would be something that either
a the buyer already has
b the buyer does not want
c the buyer figures costs more so the house could have been bought cheaper

make an offer OR all offers considered might work. It could also make you look desperate and encourage low offers.

Be just below market. $1-2k under could be enough to get your house looked at first.

One thing would cost money but could help. Get a house inspection done by a tough inspector. Probably $3-500 gone. Have the inspector agree that they will also cover a buyer within x amount of time in the contract. Nothing is worse than wanting to buy a house, paying for an inspection and then finding out the house needs tons of work and walking away is best.

I do not say it would encourage every buyer. Fresh house inspection available upon request would surely appeal to me. It is one less problem to deal with. Is it worth it to you? I am not sure. It was an idea.
I think when you use the phrase "motivated Seller" or "make an offer' you are sounding desparate. if I was a buyer and I read those comments i would think that you have the most room to move and even if I dd not like your home as much I probably could get it for substanntially less......

You need to differentiate your self from the competition out there... What sets yoru home apart form the rest fo them? Is there features of yoru home that are unique.....Try to peak interest and take excellent photos.

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
http://www.davedicecco.com
Hi Marissa,

I am assuming that you are selling on your own. I tell my clients that there is a 3 pronged approach that will guarantee a sale in this market. 1) You must be aggressively and realistically priced. That does not mean what other homes are listed for, but what other homes have sold for. 2) You must look good compared to the competition. You home should be clean and staged for a sale. There is a difference in how you live in a home and how you present your home for sale. A professional stager can assist or an experienced Realtor can help guide you as well. 3) You must be marketed aggressively.

In answer to your questions about "motivated seller and make an offer" there are 2 schools of thought. I am of the school that your price will indicate whether you are motivated or not. Of course a reminder about the impending deadline of the buyer credit puts it in front of people again. As far as offering an incentive, if someone doesn't like your home or location, a flat panel will not sway them one way or the other.

As far as no buyers.......in Mundelein for the last three months 26 homes have closed and 68 are under contract and waiting to close.

I live in Mundelein and would be happy to chat with you and see if I can help.

"Motivated seller" and "make an offer" are phrases that will improve your odds of getting an offer, but they will almost always guarantee a low offer and it will hurt your ability to negotiate that offer to an acceptable range. I virtually never use those phrases. If you are willing to accept a lower price--then lower the list price--it is the most powerful way to compete.

In this market, buyers a focused on getting a great deal. And if your home is presented as well as it can be, then price is main variable you can control.

What is your agent's opinion of your price? You have indicated that your opinion is that you are at market value. My experience is that a seller's opinion of fair market value is somewhat higher than what buyers think the fair market values.

Do you have an aggressive agent working for you and giving you regular feedback and presentation recommendations?
Hopefully you looked at the descriptions your agent wrote for other listings they have before you listed. That's one thing that differentiates an average agent from a great agent. Descriptive words that paint a picture are important. Also be sure you mention the features that make your home special or different from the competition. Photos are the single most important thing your agent does. They are your first showing. Be sure they are well-lit and top quality and that you have as many as the MLS and websites allow.
Marissa,
Are you working with a professional realtor or selling and buying by yourself?
I could help you make a strong marketing plan for your property. Please email or call me.

Peter Schifrin
Express Real Estate Group, Inc.
cell 847 630 6843
pschifrin@gmail.com