Chris, Home Buyer in New York, NY

How do I go about obtaining permits for an illegal structure that was build without a permit?

Asked by Chris, New York, NY Tue Nov 26, 2013

Answers

4
For accurate information contact the local department of buildings.....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 27, 2013
You would need to reach out to your local municipality
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 26, 2013
Every township has different compliance requirements, If its in a village then it would be the Village building code would apply. You ask specifically for an illegal structure?. Are you determining that because it was built without a permit or because the structure would not comply with building codes? There are many factors that go into determining an illegal structure.
For example: an additional garage was built without permits but adhering to building structure standards but not complying to the property set back (town code guidelines). Although the structure was properly built its illegal since it does not adhere to town code set backs. In today's banking environment open permits or Illegal structures will prevent you from getting clear title thus making the purchase or sale of a property very difficult. Having spent number of years as investor in real estate i have extensive experience in these matters. I would be happy to discuss how I could assist you in this matter. Don't hesitate to call.

Samuel Reinoso
Pristine Properties Cole Assoc.
631-365-2242
samrbroker@gmail.com
There are differences from township to township but more than likely you will need to get a permit for a certificate of compliance rather than a certificate of occupancy. The question really will be whether or not the structure can even be made legal or not and/or whether the structure will need to be torn down or changed to meet the town code. If you are under time constraints (and even if you're not), you may want to hire an expeditor who is familiar with your particular town code and has gone through the process many, many times. If I can assist you in any way, please feel free to contact me.

Ralph Windschuh
Keller Williams Realty Homes and Estates
631-495-4711