Nancy Wiesen…, Home Seller in Woodmere, NY

How do I get an estimate for how much my house is worth if I don't want to list it with a real estate broker?

Asked by Nancy Wiesenfeld, Woodmere, NY Tue Oct 23, 2007

Answers

24
Hello

Just about every real estate agent or broker will do what is called a CMA (Comparable Market Analysis) for an owner for free with no obligation. It is part of the service that most of us offer others. You could call an agent who regularly works your neighborhood or mails. If not, you could let me know and I can get an agent for you in your area through our Cartus Network.

I trust that this helps.

Duane Beisner
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 13, 2009
I would hire an appraiser and ask for a "purchase appraisal". Best of luck... I certainly hope that New York is better for for sale by owners than Atlanta!
Web Reference: http://www.HomesByLorie.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 13, 2009
Nancy,
While I think listing your home with a broker is EXTREMELY important, I would be happy to do a CMA for you without any pressure to list with me. I can go through it with you in line by line detail.

Please contact me at info@irenerobertson.com if you really want to know what your home is worth.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2007
You can have an appraiser do an appraisal for you or you could ask a Realtor for a complementary market evaluation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 23, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
Hi Nancy, I would recommend you meet with three local Realtors to get an idea on what your home will most likely sell for. If you decide later to sell with a broker, you will already have 3 agents to contact.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 23, 2007
Nancy,
I would call two realtors and have them do CMA's for you. Let them know you'll be trying FSBO before listing your home. You may just see the value of using a Realtor, if not you'll know what your house is worth. Most Realtors will be happy to give you free advice as long as your up front with them.
Michael
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 23, 2007
Have a professional appraisal done. Check the local yellow pages for appraisal resources. They usually cost in the neighborhood of $300 to $400.

An appraiser is going to give you a range of value as they would a buyers bank. You can study the recent sales in the area as well.

Chris
Hire a Certified Residential Appraiser. Call around to a few companies and see how much they charge. I would recommend ordering a 2055 appraisal, which is done from the exterior and will save you a little bit of money. I would not expect you to pay over $250 for the appraisal.

If you are in Chicago, please contact me and I will help you out.

http://www.ChicagoStyleRealEstate.com
http://www.Facebook.com/ChicagoStyleRealEstate
http://www.topchicagoagent.blogspot.com/.

-Nick Conteduca -
I have been a Broker/Appraiser in Chicago for 10+ Years. Please give me a call or email with all your real estate needs.

Thank you!
You can go to Nassau Properties, all the information you need should be there. Just remember selling your home on your own is not as easy as it seems. There is a lot involved in that process.
Good Luck.
Nancy, there are numerous ways one could get an estimate of your property's values. As a mortgage professional who has been in the Real Estate industry for over 10 years, I STRONGLY URGE YOU to MEET WITH REALTORS. In today's market you can expect to net less for the sale of your house than what you would ultimately receive if you picked the right Realtor to do business with. Home-buyers understand that FSBOs are not paying commissions, so they automatically low ball offers. Another thing I would urge you to do is to go through the Trulia Voices questions and even Zillow Advice forums, so you can see the masses of people who have discovered that neither have property values correct. There is no such thing as a website that can really communicate the true market value of one's property. I could help you find the top listing agents in your area, by looking at the Realtor's performance, you can more or less get an idea of which Realtor is doing what. Even that is not always an indication of which Realtor will be the right fit for you. Feel free to call or email me anytime, good luck!

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Assistant Director of Sales
ACADEMY MORTGAGE CORP
105 Conklin Street
Farmingdale, NY 11735
jmeneses@bankamc.com
(516) 606-9648 Cell
(631) 227-3258 Office
(516) 584-7138 Fax
Pay for an appraisal. Keep in mind, an appraisal is only one person's opinion of value. Your final sales price as well as the buyer's appraisal may differ from your initial appraisal. However, the initial appraisal should get you in the ball park.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 14, 2014
Have a qualified appraiser come out to appraise the value as this is what they do all day long and know the market better then anyone out there...
Nancy,

I would contact an appraiser. Yes, many Realtors would do a CMA for free (doesn't actually constitute worth so be careful), but we are all self employed and if there is no chance for any compensation it eats up ours we could be compensated for in the day.
You can go to Nassau Properties and look for comparive data
Sites like trulia and other have data on resent sold properties.
All it take is a little effort.There are no secrets anymore,everything is public records
From your question it seems that you do not have the know how about selling your house.
My advice to you is to come to my office and I will explain to you the pros and cons of selling a house on your own.
best wishes to you
Joshua Zargari
Pugatch Realty
Any good realtor will end up getting your property sold at the best price possible even after a commission involved. Some questions to ask yourself before deciding--are you ready to be low balled just because a buyer knows no realtor commission is involved? Are you prepared to allow strangers into your home unescorted by a professional? Are you prepared to pre-qualify any buyer on your own without professional assiatance? Your buyer will be informed, therefore you as the seller need to be informed as to the general market. Anyway, MLSLI.com will help you as will a licensed appraiser.
You can go to mls.com or google and enter your properties address Or you can call me Joan Small 516 455-8391 I will email or mail it to you free with no obligation
If you visit my website I have a Market Snapshot tool that will show you what is currently happening in our local market. I live in Woodmere as well and would be happy to help you if you have any questions.
If you feel a little weird getting a "complimentary" CMA from an agent whom you will not be listing with, feel free to offer the agent the same fee that the banks pay for (BPO) Price Opinions (commonly $65 and up )
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
Sometimes a broker will come out and help you with a comp even if you dont' list with him/her now. This will allow them to get to know you just in ase you are going to neet their help later - and statistically, that's a very high percentage.

Short of that, you can go to sites like Zillow and figure out - but remember that Zillow is a long way from accurate, just give you some ideas.

Pricing is one of the most important thing = make sure you do it right.

Sylvia
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Novato, CA
Nancy
There are different types of value.
One type if the property is being used for collateral for a loan
Another type if the property is being insured.
Yet another type for salvage value.

What I you trying to accomplish?

Taking your post at face value, it sounds as though you are asking "how do I set the price for house if I am selling it on my own?" If that's the case, ask a Realtor to provide you with a CMA, then price it 10% below whatever price the Realtor tells you.

Are you aware that 90% of the time the buyer who purchases a home sees the home with a Realtor? If I were selling my home, I'd use a Realtor. That's why 85% of owners who sell without professional representation list with a Realtor to get the job done. That's also way owners that sell without professional representation sell on average 16% less than listed with a Realtor...
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
You can hire an appraiser. Or, you can reconsider and list your property with a real estate broker to take advantage of relocation buyers (who usually don't have time to look at "for sale by owners"), having your property exposed to all members of the local multi-list, and to have your property marketed on line and in print in a professional, consistent manner. If you list with a broker, the agent will do a comparative market analysis for you.
Most Brokers will do a CMA for you. I would suggest that you consider listing it with a broker, especially in this market, a Good broker has already adapted to this market which can be quiet ruff.