Cliff, Home Seller in 08618

How do I findmy next realtor? A successful, active, person. I have a great property to sell and no offers after 9 months?

Asked by Cliff, 08618 Sat Dec 4, 2010

House is priced below the comparables in the neighborhood. New paint, trim, rugs, roof, electrical, appliances, heater, and water tank. Updates kitchen. Great curb appeal with 5,000 at closing to buyers to use as they like plus 1,000 to realtor who brings buyers to table. Will negotiate.

Answers

29
Cliff,

Sorry to say that after 9 months and no offers, the issue is price (bottom line) and not necessarily the Realtor or RE company. Although in some cases, you can find a more assertive Realtors who invest more money in advertising, open houses and other tools to get the house sold.

If you want to make a change that's perfectly acceptable, but if your Realtor has invested beau coup time and money in marketing your property will no price improvements on your part, I'd give the Realtor another 3 months with at least a $20k price change (or in the alternative price the property below or at the most recent comparable sale . . . . buyers are looking for "value" and those are the houses that are selling).

Francesca Patrizio, Broker Associate, ePro, SRES
Francesca @PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931 (Direct/Cell)
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 12, 2010
Put your address in google and see how well marketed it is. Put agent name in google and see how he or she markets themself.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 9, 2010
Pay attention to which Realtors' listings in your area are moving. Check out their presence on Trulia, Zillow and Realtor.com because with 85% + of all real estate sales starting on the internet in today's market you want an agent who is leveraging the power of the internet to get homes sold. Interview at least 3 agents before hiring one--I've attached some great interview questions that will help you find the right agent.

Best Of Luck,
Judi
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 5, 2010
Try finding a Realtor who is extremely computer savvy since most people start their search for real estate online.
Web Reference: http://www.sjrates.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 5, 2010
Ethically we, as Realtors, cannot solicit an active listing. So, assuming your listing is NOT active right now with another Realtor, let me tell you the results I can get.

I recently took a listing for a home that had been listed for 2 years, with four previous Realtors. I listed it on August 2nd. We had buyers under contract on September 11th, and Closed on November 15th. We got 99% of what I had projected as the expected sale price! ( imagine if everyone in the USA performed their jobs at 99% ! Our economy would be booming!)

Some Realtors may blame the "Market". Sometimes it's the Marketing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
I agree, incentives like closing costs & home warranty to the prospective buyers, not whomever sells it. I suggest getting referrals from friends or family whom have worked with a "good" local Realtor. Set up listing presentations and see what they offer. Ask them what are they going to do differently? It is a fact, over priced houses take longer to sell but at the same time lowering the price is the easiest answer, not always the right answer.

Best of luck.
Hi Cliff, I've read through the responses and agree with what I read - I suggest you put direct all incentives to the buyer. The market is tough - you know that from your own experience. Tough markets like this one require that you get it right to succeed and that starts and end with pricing.

My suggestion is this - after 9 months you need a new story to tell to a wider audience. Buyers are here, online, so yes, your agent must make online marketing the cornerstone of her marketing strategy. That will help you reach the broader audience, but after nine months and no offers, you have to reach a different pool of buyers...you have exhausted the current one. And that means, a price adjustment. You've got $6,000 right off the top that you can put into a price reduction - buyers see price and are less likely to get to the details where the incentive may be tucked if they deem your home overpriced.

Great idea to examine every aspect of your presentation and listing. But the harsh realty is this - pricing will cure everything, but nothing - nothing - will cure a pricing problem.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Advertise the listing and take the buyers to see the house, Help them with obtaining a great loan officer to get qualified and explain all the different loans available. Can't sell a house without proper financing.
The most important thing when choosing a real estate professional is to find someone you can trust. Good communication is the cornerstone of any successful relationship. They must keep you informed regularly and they must show your home often. Effective marketing is the key to selling your home quickly and getting the highest price. One of the most important elements of marketing your home effectively is setting the price right. The condition and appearance of your home are also critical factors in getting the best price for your home. Having an agernt that will negotiate furiously on your behalf throughout the entire process to ensure that your best interests are protected is essential. Everything sells when it is priced right! If you have had your home on the market for several months and haven’t seen much activity or any offers, chances are that one or more of the reasons below are to blame. No doubt about it, the most common reason for a home not selling is that the asking price has been set too high. There is a lot of competition out there to sell homes. Your home has to compete against other similar homes for sale, as well as competing against shiny brand new homes. The more you can do to make your home look appealing to a buyer, the better your chances for a quick sale. It’s the oldest cliché in the world, but it’s true. When it comes to real estate, it’s all about location! If your listing agent isn’t making sure your home can be found easily on the internet, isn’t actively touting his or her listings to other agents in the area, isn’t running ads in the local newspapers and real estate publications, then it might be time to change agents. . There are several things you can do to combat a slow market. The most effective strategy is to sell at a lower price. Buyers are expecting to find bargains during a slow market. You can also help yourself by offering to pay some concessions to help a buyer that might not have a lot of cash. To get your home sold quickly, it’s important that other agents in the area show it to as many potential buyers as possible. When a busy agent is compiling a list of homes to show a buyer, the agent will naturally tend to show those houses that are easiest to gain access to first. Sounds almost silly, but it’s very true. If your listing agent isn’t liked or respected by other agents in your area, it could slow down the sale of your home. It’s just human nature to tend to skip over someone you don’t like. I wish you the best of health, happiness and the time to enjoy them.
Web Reference: http://www.RaulGuevara.com
Hi Cliff
I know everyone wants to blame us when the property doesn't sell, but it usually is not the case. However, I would narrow down wether or not he/she has provided you with good service, communication and marketing? Have other homes sold in your area or is nothing moving? If they have sold what range did they sell in and what did they have that your's doesn't? Have you had a lot of showings with no offers?

All these should point you better to what might be wrong than just your Realtor. Even though you think it's a great house at a great price maybe the buyers don't. Have you had any feedback from showings from other agents? If I'm asking questions that you have no answers to because your current Realtor has not provided you with any information than you should certainly shop for a new Realtor. However, if it's the market, your location, the price, it's not fair to blame the Realtor.
I wish you success!!
I'd ask a trusted friend for a referral. Makes sure you ask them why that real estate agent is good to make sure your values are congruent with your friends. Advertising is mostly BS. Don't believe what agents write about themselves. If you can't get a referral, then identify a few agents that sell ( actually closed, not just listed) in your neighborhood and interview all of them. Keep your BS sensors on high alert and hire the one that your feel has both the skills and integrity to get the job done while protecting your interests.
Do your pictures show the property well? Are there properties selling in the neighborhood? How many months inventory is in your neighborhood. Take sales in the last six months to see how many homes move each month. Then look at the number of active listings to see how many months supply you have. Given the incentives, it could still be overpriced or it's location is an objection to buyers.
What is the agent saying to you except lower the price and "Do the Google thing". That will tell you who much work your agent is doing for you. My guess is price is messed up or you are not getting any exposure!
There are several avenues to "selling" your home. ALL are key to successful conclusion. Posting on line is great, there are several sites to do so. If you choose to sell it without a Professional Realtor, consider taking an ad out in some local magazines (a beneficial investment) as long as you do it in the right mags. Also ask friends to help you out, referrals work in wonderful fashion. Also go to Public Records and ask for printout of who sold their home recently. You just might find a buyer there.

If considering a Professional Realtor, find out what their current market accumen is like, what their average close/sale timeframe is, and three solid references (recent) to substantiate your needs/desires.

Good Luck and happy trails!!! "Luck" is when Preparation meets Opportunity!! ;-)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 5, 2010
Internet marketing is the key. You need high quality photographs and a digital presentation that sells both the property and the lifestyle. Something like this: http://www.131Kenilworth.info
Will bring the buyers in. Of course, it has to be priced competitively so get on top of what's been selling.
You may not need to lower the price. You just might need better marketing.
Call me and I can help you out.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 5, 2010
I am a Realtor and I live in your zip code. Is your home currently listed with a Realtor or are you trying to sell it yourself? I am not assuming, as your wording does not point to one over the other. If your home is listed by a Realtor, do you know what they are doing to market your home? Things are tough out there right now. How many other homes in your neighborhood are currently for sale? If there are several, that could be a key contributing factor.

I have to agree with some of my colleagues and say that marketing, especially internet marketing is very key, but so is a home that is impeccable, especially if you are reaching for top dollar. With the glut of REO's and short-sales out there, you have some serious competition, since many Buyers are looking for the best deal.

I wish you the best of luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 5, 2010
Hi Cliff,

A few things, first if you really believe it is the realtor's lack of proper marketing, then interview, interview, interview. It is true realtors in New Jersey cannot solicit an active listing, however that does not prevent YOU, the homeowner, from soliciting them. You can initiate the call and begin interviewing now. Tell then what you think the problem is, ask them what THEY think the problem is, and ask them how they would address those issues. I will tell you this much, studies show that today's home buyer starts their home search on the internet. An internet presence is VITAL to getting a home sold today. And it must include not just your local Multiple Listing Service but also enhanced listings on Realtor.com, and other real estate websites such as Trulia and a host of others. The online listings must include lots of quality photos, a detailed, and I do mean detailed, description of the home and a high-quality virtual tour. The listing must be 'word smithed' carefully as well.

Once a home is identified online and added to a buyer's 'short list' they generally do a drive-by, make sure that the exterior of your home is just as immaculate and well cared for as the interior. Curb appeal is very, very key here And, if the potential buyer likes what they see from the street, THEN and only then will they make an appointment to see the inside. And, of course, getting as many people to go through the home, foot traffic, is the final step in getting the home actually sold.

I don't mean to sound as though other marketing tactics and strategies are not as important, they ARE. print advertising, especially in home magazines, perhaps putting the home on more than one multiple listing service, open houses, broker open houses, all these are important, but seriously, this is the internet generation and proper utilization of internet marketing is key!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 5, 2010
Hi Cliff,
This is an easy question! I can help you find three realtors to interview who are the top agents in the top offices in your area. Our relocation division, one of the largest in the U.S., has the resources to help me do just that. I interview them first before I would forward them onto you. I have successfully referred agents to buyer and sellers all over the country. So do contact me if you are interested. it's just a phone call or email. I have plenty of references on my website and Linked-In.
Importnat features that you will look for:
* Where will they market your home?
* How many websites will your home appear?
* What Print Media will they use? (No, print is not dead)
* What resources do their company and they possess?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Associate Broker
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
CARTUS Certified Relocation Specialist
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com
215-803-3237
215-794-1070 x-103
Web Reference: http://www.FrankDolski.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 5, 2010
Lets not try to fix the blame- lets look at the problem of the house not being sold. Even if you trim it to the bone (reduced the price) and the property still is not sold . I would suggest that you do an inventory, what's going on in your immediate market, who are the buyers you are focusing on , when you brought what where the reasons that you brought in that neighborhood and do so same reasons exist today or have they change for todays buyers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Do you need a new Realtor or a new price?
Eventhough you are priced below other comparables, it doesn't mean that you are priced right. The buyers are the ones who will determine the sales price of your home and if you haven't had any offers, you need to reduce.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Interview them as if it was a job opportunity for them. Less experience, with a national firm, may mean they have an experienced mentor guiding them . Very experienced and they may be too rigid in there ways for today's market place. Just remember...real estate is transparent today and most start off on the internet. So if you find someone who you feel will do the job, they do not necessarily have to live there. The agents showing your home may not live there either...

Best of luck..
Bernie

Ps: I can not address why you have not sold your home in 9 months without additional info. If you are currently represented by an agent, this is not meant as a solicitation. :)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Cliff, I'm curious: why do YOU think your home hasn't sold?

Based on what you have stated, it sounds as if you are doing everything right. No offers in 9 months indicates something is most definitely not right.

How many showings have you had?

What didn't your previous agent do that your next one should?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Cliff,

It could be the quality of the marketing on your property but that is not a certantity in this bear of a market. If you were in my zipcode area of expertise, your search would be over, but you are not so I suggest you go to Realtor.com, search on your zipcode, find properties like yours and compare the marketing you see to that of yours. When you find some properties/marketing that you really like, interview those Realtors and after they tell you what they will provide you, tell them exactly what you expect for your listing!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Hi Cliff
You can eaily search profiles of agents on the Trulia site as well as Realtor.com for starters. Look under your zip code then select a few agents , call them , arrange to meet & interview them. Slect the one that has a good marketing plan & a proven track record for sales in your town.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Consider interviewing in person a few local agents from different realty offices in person--then choose the one you like best and who has the most to offer--choose your agent with care.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Hi Cliff;
I'd be happy to help you find the perfect agent. We are a real estate concierge service that connects buyers and sellers with prescreened real estate professionals from all brands around the Garden State. Feel free to contact me anytime by phone or email.

Camille Miller
Managing Partner
Just Jersey Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Hi Cliff,

Look for a Real Estate Agent who actually lives in your zip code, owns a home their, and simply ask them how they would sell your home if they owned it. I doubt if the comparables are recent sales ( no more than 3 months back). Your sale should be easy based on the information you provided, if the list price is right.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
95% of home buyers use the internet to find homes for sale...my advice is to use an agent with a great online presence, marketing plan, and gives your home the most online exposure. If homebuyer's can't find you, how can they buy your home?

I'm in contact with agents nationwide that utilize online marketing to sale homes, let me know if I can refer you.

Melia Indra
melia@prusd.com
Web Reference: http://www.oliverindra.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Hi CLiff -

Send an email with our address and we'll take a look at it!

John Sacktig
Brokker / Manager
Orange Key Realty

Get your home SOLD!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010