max, Home Seller in Staten Island, NY

How do I find out percentage a listing broker is offering co brokers on the MLS? Are percentages set for each house or for all that brokers listings?

Asked by max, Staten Island, NY Wed Sep 25, 2013

Aside from asking the broker how much his split is with another agency, is there a way for the public to find out what percentage the listing broker specified they would split on the MLS listing?

Answers

12
What your agent is paying the coop agent should all be outlined in your listing agreement that was signed by you when listing your house. This is a topic that needs to be discussed with your agent. If you are shopping for an agent based on commission-be careful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 25, 2013
If you are the seller the information will appear on your commission/listing agreement; otherwise simply ask the agent, the information is not public....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 25, 2013
Max, if you are a seller or potential seller, what difference does it make to you how your Realtor splits his commission with his broker? What do you care if he/she gets 3,000. or 10,000. if YOU get the proceeds you find acceptable? If the net on an offer is not acceptable to you, you don't have to take it.
You are asking for inside information which is between the broker and the agent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 25, 2013
Become a Real Estate Agent. Or if you are referencing a property that you have listed, then this information is in your Listing Agreement.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 25, 2013
Hi Max

If your the seller that information should be on your contract , if your the buyer there's no real way for you to find out that info is not public to buyers, but those percentages are not set in stone and can be changed or adjusted

Thanks Felix
917-692-7702
There is no set amount. What's offered to the buyers' agent is determined between the seller and the listing agent and does not appear in the public remarks anywhere that I've ever seen.

Some states - Arizona is one - now have the co-broke listed on the listing agreement itself.

Follow-up question would be why you were looking for this information? If it's with the idea that you can "save" that co-broke by going through the listing agent, that's most often not the case as the total commission being charged by the listing brokerage isn't generally contingent upon a second agent and generally isn't reduced.

I say generally because I do reduce my commission when there's not another agent, but that's not at all a uniform practice.
Great question! My listing agreement is not filled in on commission split. I read a response by an agent that said they look at the split before they show other office listings. I think that brokers don't want sellers to know their split. So tis should be up front & transparent.
The percentages should be disclossed to you and filled in on your contract as the Home Seller. You sould not sing anything otherwise. The point of the split is to give the buyers broker an incentive to work on selling other Agents listings. Ask your broker what type of split he or she's giving out. They have to be honest with you.
Flag Wed Sep 25, 2013
Just the split % is blank, not the commission %!
Flag Wed Sep 25, 2013
If your commission is not filled in I question if you have a valid listing agreement or if they don't offer to the other side. Laws vary by state so I would ask your Broker. If there is little to no compensation the Broker may decide not to show, or they will require their buyer to make up the difference. In the latter that could mean the sale would be more than a buyer is willing to fork over.
Flag Wed Sep 25, 2013
Commissions are negotiable, so there is not a SET price to what is offered to the Selling Broker. There are averages and it can go up or down. I don't know about your state, but in California offer of compensation is between the seller and listing Broker as what is put in the listing agreement. The Buyer broker will know what is offered as it is posted in the MLS. The general public is not privy to that information, you can always ask the broker.
If you are selling the house and have a MLS Listing Contract with your listing broker, it is clearly says in your contract what is being offered as a Co brokers percentage to a Buyers Broker or a Brokers Agent which are both buyers that are looking at your house. These fees are not a set number, they can be negotiable.
Max,
Before I answer your question, I'm curious to know what you plan to do with this information.
It is important, but the pathway to revealing this is clearly defined, and apparently not available to you. So, what's up?
Are you selling via a flat fee broker and want to be competive?
Are you thinking about DIY?
Are you second guessing your agent?
Are you gathering informaton for an NYT article?
What's up?
Some brokers are slick. Brokers don't all disclose to seller. They leave blank terms on the listing form & decide in office what the split should be without disclosing to seller.
Flag Wed Sep 25, 2013
If this is your property the Realtor is marketing, the law requires the agent to disclose the percentage they are offering to the selling realtor.
Nope. This is for the agent to know, and is not a figure that is shared on public records.