Terry, Other/Just Looking in 13212

How do I find a good experienced Agent? Our contract ends this week and we need to find an agent that will

Asked by Terry, 13212 Mon Nov 12, 2007

sell our house. Our current agent works hard but is with a small agency and is fairly new to real estate.

Answers

14
Good advice? Listen to the folks who have already answered. They are real professionals. Most would slam the other agent yet, they have offered real advice....GOOD advice. As it relates to selling real estate, size of an agency has nothing to do with anything. If your agent is working hard, has marketed your property utilizing realtor.com, Trulia and other avenues, it is time to look within. If your home is available to show at any time, is clean and well presented then, the only thing left is price.

If you could buy the rights to sell all of the worlds toothpicks at $1.00 a piece ...would you? You would have the monopoly on toothpicks for goodness sake, why not? You wouldn't because no one would ever buy a toothpick at $1.00 a piece. There are too many alternatives available. All of the marketing and enthusiasm in the world would not help .

Take a hard look within before you consider a change of agency which, in many cases will do nothing but harm your listing and chances of selling. Good luck to you in any case. It is a difficult market and if you have a great agent....stick with them and find other ways to spark some interest.
If your agent works hard, has gotten a lot of agents in to see and show your home, and you have gotten showings, I wouldn't pull the rug out from under them. In my area, there is anywhere from a 10 mo to 2 year supply of homes, depending on the town. Changing agents may not make the house sell any quicker.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2007
Hi Terry, Did you know that 97% of all homes sold are not actually sold by the listing agent? Another agent brings the buyer. If your agent works hard... does he/she also work smart? exposure of your house to other realtors normally via the MLS (Multiple Listing Service) is what gets it sold not by the size of her brokerage firm. I don't know what your local market is doing but depending on how long it's been on the market... what has the feedback been from the agents that showed it? That is very critical to any sale... I agree with Holly about the sites promising to connect you with an "experienced" agent.
Web Reference: http://www.sumnerrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2007
The size of the agency isn't the consideration as much as the agent. Was your house given the maximum exposure possible? Does it show well and is it priced accordingly?
How did you obtain this agent in the first place? Through a referral or recommendation from a friend or family member?
Look at who is selling homes in your neighborhood and interview them.Ask them what they would do differently to get your house sold. Look online at various agencies web sites and see who has strong presence.
Web Reference: http://www.northropteam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2007
If your current agent works hard, you already have a good agent....as the seller, you are his or her greatest critic!!! You did not mention his or her experience, so I am assuming they are not brand new. Even though the company maybe new, most likely, the broker or other agents have had prior experience before opening this company. My cuurent company is only 2.5 years old, but we have well over a 100 years of experience in our area, and we are one of the top five selling companies in our region. Another company in the area has also come to the area as a newcomer and that company is also one of the top five.
Suggestions- Ask them to be completely honest with you about the reasons your house has not sold before you start interviewing other agents Tell them you truly want an honest evaluation as to why it hasn't sold and go from there. Average market time for properties typically mean a house will be on the market for about 6 months, if you are expecting results quicker than this, it may be a wee bit unrealistic, unless you are fortunate enough to be in a market with quicker absorption. As far as finding a good experience agent, ask your friends, neighbors or other respected professionals in your community who they may recommend, surf local real estate sites and research them yourself...but beware of sites that claim to have an "approved list of professionals" Their screening process and selection method is usually dependent on whether or not that agent has sent them a check.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2007
They may be a good agent but are they a good salesperson? Agents are salespeople so my advice is to pick the one that not only works hard, but smart, and could sell anything they put their mind too. If you want your house sold, pick the best salesperson because I don't see to many rewards for being the best agent. :-).

Mark
If your contract ends, you get letters, solicitations and some may show up at your door steps. George Bernard shaw quoted experience is the amount of mistakes one commits. Listings are sold by the buyer agents and rarely by a listing agent. One has to see the absorption of homes in that price range and in the school district. How differently the new agent will market the home, the need for touch ups, pricing not just x dollars less than previous listing. If the agent has too many listing how many failed to sell. That ratio will speak for itself. It is a buyer market. Pricing, saleability, competing properties, timing, market share of the broker are the factors. Yesterdays experience will not work today. Whole game is different.
Hi Terry,
I've been a realtor for going on 23 years. This career is nothing you can learn in a classroom but by the different experiences that you encounter on a day to day basis. I too worked for a small brokerage in the early 90's but, I soon found that with the advancements of technology and the consumer becoming more and more educated, in order to do the best possible job for my clients and customers, a larger brokerage what necessary. A good realtor will be able to provide you with past clients names and numbers for you to contact, you will also want them to show you what their company will do to market their home. The internet is key so if your agent has their own web site this is very important too. I would be happy to meet with you at your convenience to explain to you what RealtyUSA has to offer and you can also Google me and visit my web site or visit me on Facebook. I hope this gives you some insight and I wish you the very best of luck!!! Deb Lawrence, RealtyUSA
Terry,
Here is some info to help you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VJ4LKuFtvg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW-RGx7vm2I&feature=playe…

Prudential is a very strong and resourceful agency with great people who are ready and willing to help, including myself.

http://www.prudentialcnyrealty.com/view_agent.asp?AGENTID=25…

Let me know if you think Prudential could help you.

Ted Ackerman

http://syracusehomelife.blogspot.com/
check for the agency's market saturation and then last five homes sold by that agent and if it's OK to speak with a couple of his past client's as well as their written comment on the last deal with the agent. Support from their office....
Many factors are in play when selling a home. A boutique agency can do just as well or better than a national group,

I have seen perfect homes sit on market years, vs. "ugly home can have a bidding war" go figure.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Terry
You may or may not be aware:
1. How many homes, like yours, have sold since your home hit the market?
2. Buyers are looking for value. Most sellers believe that their home is special , and worth more. If there ARE homes that have sold, then YOU have some work to do.
3. How many showings have you had. ? Any feedback from the showings? Have you made any changes inthe price, marketing, value that a buyer might say 'Hey, this is a good deal"?
The odds are you have not. Sellers never want to see their equity evaporate. The size of agency in most cases is less important than the Realtor you select. Length of time in the business is also not a good indicator of ability. I know many agents that have many years in the saddle, but apparently have not learned in the process.

The truth is (in most cases), that the price is too high (meaning the buyers buy other homes because they perceive them to have more value). In most cases, the SELLER is the reason the home does not sell. (just being honest here). It takes a STRONG Realtor to educate and persuade a seller to do take the needed steps to get the home sold.

BTW, stats prove that homes that sell during the first 30 days usually net the seller the most. Holding out for "YOUR PRICE" is not normally profitable (nor fun!)
Keith
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
You say both the agency is small and the agent it new. That sounds a lot like a small advertising budget and perhaps an agent who can't network effectively. My company, Coldwell Banker, has a huge presence in New York state. If you wish, I will gladly refer you to a preselected experienced seller's agent in the closest CB office to your home. No obligation to use him/her. You can be sure the marketing will be extensive and first rate. No shoe string advertising budget here... and they will know how to get the word out on you home.
Bring in several agents who can show you a prepared Marketing Plan of what they will do to market your property. Google the agents you are considering to see what kind of internet exposure they have. 81% of all buyers spend 6 days on the internet before calling a Realtor. MLS is not enough exposure to market a property.