Home Selling in Beverly>Question Details

Susan, Home Seller in Beverly, MA

How do I cancel a home sale after P and S is signed?

Asked by Susan, Beverly, MA Sun Jun 19, 2011

All parties concerned are RE agents except my husband and I., the sellers. The Buyers have shown up with no notice and no agent, wanting to come in the house, We put a stop to that in the P & S so now they have relatives watching our house. Getting out of hand.

Help the community by answering this question:


You want to walk away from a sale because the buyers are excited about the purchase. I know when I bought my first house I was a bit of a stalker...I would drive by the house just about any chance I got. I never knocked on the door and asked to go in...that's a bit much.

Do you really want to sell?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 19, 2011
Hi Susan,

When people sign a P&S they start to feel attached to the home and can become clingy. When I purchased my house my mother in law rang the bell and asked the owner if she could look around. She did this without or knowledge and boy was I embarrassed

I can understand how frustrating this can be, especially since you may not be close to closing. As the other people have said, it can help if you look on the bright side. You are selling, and hopefully you have a good agent that negotiated well on your behalf. Right now you are in a contract and it may not be in your best interest to work on dissolving the contract no matter how annoying the buyers are.

Tell the family members who are watching the house that you are not comfortable with them doing it and make sure that your agent knows about it and can tell the buyers that they need to put a stop to it.

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy closing1
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 20, 2011

You have done the right thing by limiting the time in the P&S. But as others have said, to have an excited buyer is good. Spend your time packing and hopefully your as excited about your move.

You can't get out of the p&s, but you do have options if you don't want to sell it, they can be costly, time consuming and may not be fruitful either.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 19, 2011
In this market you should be happy that you have someone buying your home. Definitely have your agent contact the buyers agent if they shows up unannounced. Their family members probably just want a look at the house. Annoying, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
You don't have many options for getting.out of a signed P&S. If you want out for some reason other than annoying buyers, contact an attorney. Good luck.

Jim Armstrong
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 19, 2011
Have your agent contact the buyer's agent to hopefully work this problem out.
In normal instances you should be fairly close to the closing date; so hopefully you won't have to put up with this much longer.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 19, 2011
Contact your Real Estate Attorney, if you don't have one ...get one. You can find a Beverly Attorney on my website in the preferred partners section.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 19, 2011
They are contracted to buy your house?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 19, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer