Home Selling in Huntersville>Question Details

momeason, Home Seller in 28078

How do I best advertise my open house?

Asked by momeason, 28078 Thu Sep 18, 2008

I am paying for a Charlotte Observer online ad and a notice on my MLS listing. I plan to put up directional signs on the weekend of the open house. Is there anything else I can do?

Answers

14
One way to advertise your open house is deliver flyers to your neighbors (or other area neighborhoods)letting them know about your open house. They may have a friend, relative, long lost cousin that would like to move to the area. Another way is to just knock door-to-door letting folks know. Be sure and put out your signs on the evening before the open house with the time and date. You can catch the evening traffic this way. Good luck!

Kelly Cahill
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 18, 2008
We often forget that one of the best advertisements are the next door neighbors.In a close nit community doing some door knocking never goes out of style.
With all the rage for the internet touching the four corners of the world, local word of mouth has significant value.
In addition to the general things you do for an Open House....Ad in the local paper and directional signs. Ask neighbors if they know of any friends or family members that want to live in the area tell them about your open house and ask them to invite their friends/family members. Send out e-cards to past and current clients and contacts. Offer a door prize there's nothing like a free gas card. Make sure to send direct mailers to area apartments. Have a Great Open House!!!
The social media is so very powerful. Craigs list,facebook,twitter,linkedin are excellent sources.
Obviously putting signs to attract traffic is necessary.
Well, our local newspaper has a deal on what is called a "Featured Open House", a large photo and write up before the long list of open houses. It costs about $100 with the open house ad, but I find this really gets more people than when I only do online ads. Maybe it's because many people still look in there newspaper for garage sales! Whatever, if I have to sit somewhere for 3-4 hrs I want as many people coming through. Neighbors are great the first time, but they rarely show up if you do more than one open house. Also, I try and get a few neighboring listings to do an open house at the same time so we can have a little caravan style opening! You're unclear whether you're an agent or a FSBO but, good luck in any case, Best,
Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA
Hi momeason, try door knocking the neighborhood, personalized invitations to neighbors, and splattering it ONLINE, ONLINE, ONLINE. Craigslist is a good resource, and if it's in the MLS, it will also be on realtor.com. Do you have a facebook or twitter account? You could try letting people know about it on those outlets with pictures to help entice them as well.

Great signage for the open house will help with traffic, but ultimately you want solid, legitimate buyers who are ready to buy your home now. If you haven't already, check in with your agent to ensure the home is staged properly and the pricing is right. It makes all the difference.

Best of luck,
Caroline
signs, signs & more signs!
Price and Location. The key components from turning a open house into a sold house.
It is an advertisement that is heard loud and clear across the country.
I read this article in Realtor.org

Here is the link.

Hope this Helps and good luck with your sale
Open houses can be hit or miss. Online ads are good, but print would have been better. I feel that people look for the sunday paper to peruse through the homes, and then visit. Usually, I do mine on a sunday, put out directional signs a few days before, and on the day of open house bright colored balloons work well.
Good luck with your open house!
Web Reference: http://myrealtorpatti.net/
Momeason
Just to give you a heads up, most homes are NOT sold through an open house.
The majority of the time they are sold by a REaltor bringing buyer.
So that means that if you are not getting 10-12 showings or one offer in the first two weeks of market time the price is too high.

Most homes will sell at closest to asking price if they sell in the first 30 days. About 20%of homes sell in the first 30 days, 80% sell after, at 93.6% of asking price.

So when MLS Entry ONly Brokers list your home, you get the MLS, you get to do your own open houses, however what you don't get is the one thing you need...accurate pricing and market information. At it may be accurate ONCE, but the selling a home is more like a game of chess. The environment changes all the time.

Moral to the story. if you are serious about selling, you have more to worry about than where to advertise an open house.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Try posting your open house at Craigslist.com. Just put "Open House" in the title, and I'd suggest posting no more than 2-3 days before the open house, and ideally the day before. Posts are free in almost all cities, and this site is hugely popular. Backpage.com is another site that you can self-post an open house, but it isn't as popular.
Web Reference: http://www.StantonHomes.com
Momeason,

Try having you agent post it on http://www.openhouse.com.

Try attaching something to your open house signs that will attract the attention of motorists...American flags, balloons, pinwheels....think outside of the box.

We have seen agents hire someone to dress in costume to stand on the corner and hold a large sign or hand out flyers.

Good luck and remember, regardless of what doubters say.......open houses really do work.

The "Eckler Team"
Michael Saunders & Company
billeckler@michaelsaunders.com
941-408-5363

Sounds corny, but little things like this work.
Local paper, signs on main roads and any street corners leading in, lots of balloons and a little luck there is good weather. Good luck on your open house.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com