Home Selling in Phoenix>Question Details

Trulia Phoen…, Home Buyer in Phoenix, AZ

How can a home seller work best with their agent?

Asked by Trulia Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ Tue Feb 19, 2013

Answers

18
Thank you Trulia- that's a great question.

A home seller should interview their agent just as a listing agent should interview the seller.

A seller should understand the selling process and have realistic expections as to the value of their property to sell.

They should listen to their agent when the agent suggests to them to declutter and get rid of all the family pictures on the wall. A potentional buyer should picture their family not see someone elses.

A seller should understand that one lives in their home one way and gets it ready to list and sell by keeping it another way.

I believe a home seller can best work with their agent when there is mutual respect, understanding and they work together to get it sold.

Hope this information can assist future home sellers.

Debbie Nieman
Keller Williams Sonoran Living
602-799-5239

Diverdebirealty.com
diverdebi.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 23, 2013
Working to build a relationship is critical and like any relationship, needs to be two-way to have the best outcome. Often sellers feel that once the listing is under contract and there's a sign in their yard, they never hear from their agent again. Likewise, lack of flexibility or willingness to consider feedback from the market on pricing or presentation of a property can make a listing agents job difficult if not impossible. I think having clear and concise communication at the outset of a listing, being honest with your agent about your bottom line and having an agent you trust to help you sell and net the most from your sale is critical. If you a seller can't share specifics, then as an agent it's difficult to give an honest opinion on whether now is the right time to sell. It really does boil down to great honest and open communication on both sides.

As a team, we love working with clients that are willing to be creative and also accept some feedback from us, from other agents and from buyers. It doesn't have to cost you a fortune, in fact, it often costs nothing to prep your home for sale and help us help you get the most for your home. We also constantly reevaluate our marketing strategies for listings and brainstorm with our clients ways to attract more showings and more buyers.

Not having this relationship doesn't mean that a home won't sell, but we fervently believe it's the only way for a seller and agent to leave a transaction feeling satisfied with the outcome. Plus, it's just so much more enjoyable to feel like a team!!!
Agree with the communication aspect. You need to find an agent you are comfortable with and that you trust. Find out what the agent is doing for you in order to best market your home. Many agents put a sign in the yard and enter the property in the MLS but their is much more to it - find out what they do. Often you will get what you pay for - as the case is with most things in life.

For example some of the things that I do to market the home in order to get hte best price and the quickest sale include:
1. I pay for a home stager that comes to your home and does a full consult. Telling you what you can do to showcase your home with the items you already have (no, not going to purchase new items).
2. Professional photograhy of the property and views.
3. I'm part of a network of agents that are the top 10% in my city and I showcase the listing to them.
4. An open house to brokers in my office to let them preview the property.
5. Property is marketed on literally over 100 websites.
6. Weekly updates through email and a phone call.

These are just some of the services that I think are very valuable and may not be things that all agents are doing.

Don't be fooled by the agents that offer the low price - check it out completely. After selling real estate full-time as the income earner for my family I have seen all sorts of business models but you know what? It is a customer service business and find out what that service is.
I have to comment on Mr. Mack's reply to your question. Maybe some agents are commission motivated but certainly not all agents have that as a priority. I've been in the business for 34 years and maybe that is because my #1 goal is to take care of my client no matter what that takes. If I do that my income will take care of itself. I want to find the best property for my buyers no matter what commission rate is being offered to me and I want to get the highest price for my seller with the least hassle possible. I stay on top of my transactions from beginning to end. I don't count on escrow to take over once the contract is written. If you make the client your #1 priority and do a thorough job for them so they have the best outcome possible everything else will take care of itself.
We wholeheartedly agree with that Susan! Commission is certainly how we pay our bills, but we never think about it until it's time to pick up the check. Our philosophy is similar to yours in that this is a relationship business and our largest source of future business is our past and present clients. We don't want them to merely feel like we got through a transaction together, we want them to feel thrilled that they had us on their side and that they were our number one priority...and as you so aptly stated...the income will follow!
Flag Fri Feb 22, 2013
PS: If I were in this for $$$ alone, I could never do the job. Period.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 30, 2013
BRAVO Susan, Annette Chris and Michelle!! Great answers.

Feel free to send me your Sedona/ Verde Valley AZ referrals. Please do check out my references. I am all over follow up!

Karen Melillo
Realty Executives N AZ
928-300-9151 Direct Cell

karenm@realtyexecutives.com
http://www.cottonwoodsedona.com

View some of my References or refer me at:
http://www.trulia.com/profile/karenmelillo/

Integrity: No Shades of Grey
Bravo!
Susan Job and Chris and Michelle Spalding.
Both have articulated well WHY so many real estate professionals are in this business in addition to clearly explaining why they are successful. They are successful BECAUSE the are focused on their responsibility to their client, to preforming each task fullly. They know it is the full completion, execution of these tasks that determine their income. Those who have not received such revelation remain stick in the 'it's all about the commission' mindset.
-
Applaud Susan, Chris and Michelle for investing a moment of time to add some reality to this dialog.
-
As in any team sport, you can only have one captain. Make sure, in this home selling event, the captain is identified and the CAPTAIN is ready and able to be held accoutable for the outcome. The outcome is getting the home sold. (not what has been suggested) The professional hired will fill the role needed. We are hired to do as instructed by those who hire us. If the seller believes Trulia and Zillow has prepared them propertly and they want to be captain, sometimes, the agent simply can not persuade the owner to get out of harms way. In those cases, the agent has a very, very important decision to make.
-
The home seller should be aware, their commitment to the process is reflected by their responsiveness. If the home owner committed to improving the curb appeal, and they do nothing, you need to understand, this can create the perception you are not part of this team effort. The agent needs to embrace the prospect the owner is responding with counter-intentions....that brings us back to the #1 issue...COMMUNICATIONS.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Move to the Front of the Line
(http://FirstLookHomes.us)
Find a Realtor with a lot of experience that can guide you through the process. Listen to what they are saying and follow their lead. Good luck!
You should have full trust in your agent's competence, honesty and integrity. Buying and selling a home is a major life event that should not be entrusted in an agent just because he or she has a for sale sign hanging in your neighborhood.

Mario Micheli
West USA Realty
http://www.linkedin.com/in/hiremario
The home owner and their agent need to communicate honestly through out the entire listing, marketing and selling process. This includes discussing the general market trends, how the home compares to the competition, what the seller's motivations are, how to present the home in the best light, and how to provide maximum exposure and easy access for buyers and buyer agents. This is really a TEAM sport!
Ask when, where, why and how ;)
Communication is key in this market. Realtors understand the complexities of the business and can guide you through the process. If you and your Realtor both communicate often and with good content, the home selling process can be very simple.
I agree that communication is key in all instances.

The seller has the right to ask for any price they would like for the home; however, if the agent doesn't believe the price is realistic there has to be an honest discussion. Additionally, if the property is occupied that makes a few more essential guidelines including flexibility in showing the home, and keeping the property in "show" condition.
Good luck here! The agent has one goal: Commission. It's just the way that 99.9% of the business runs. That said - don't be afraid to look into alternative relationships. For example: My company does NOT charge "percent of price commissions". The "% of Price" commission is based on what you made your property worth, not on the level of or amount of service being provided to your transaction. For a better understanding go to http://www.essentialrealtyservices.com and view your options. Additionally: It's YOUR property, so don't allow ANY agent to act like they are in charge - YOU ARE! Act like it! Seek out the most experienced real estate licensee you can find. If they have been in the business for several years, they're doing things better than the 95%+ of licensees that "Wash Out" of the business within 2 to 5 years of getting a license. Lastly: The purchase contract is THE controlling document of the entire deal. Line out ANYTHING you don't like! There are only 7 basic requirements for a valid contract and 9 pages of "out" clauses that do more to CYA the agent as opposed to the parties to the transcation. Oh - one more thing: Escow instructions are NOT valid Contracts, nor are Contracts valid Escrow Instructions. Ecrow companies will require the parties to sign additional documentation if Contracts are to be "used" as escrow instructions. They will not risk their right to operate by accepting some ridiculous contract prepared by a less than experienced licensee. There's a lot more that I could cover here, but you should "get the idea". And for you agents who will take umbrage with this answer, if you know what you are doing and what the Real Estate Business should be about, well, perhaps some introspective soul searching might be in order.
You will want to work as a team with your listing agent and have open communication. Also, you will want to work with a listing agent that knows how to make your property stand out from the rest of the competition. Also, you should try to follow the direction of your listing agent as best as possible.

Please let me know if you would like to schedule a listing appointment to learn more about what I am able to offer.

Sean Heideman, Broker
Position Realty
Office: 480-213-5251
Fax: 866-232-2256
Web: http://www.PositionRealty.com
3 things!

Communication.
I recommend being sure to get an agent with experience. She can help you with pricing your property properly and giving you hints to make the property show better and be more sale-able. Having someone you can trust to give you good advise is very important and then you need to work with your agent. The goal is to get your property sold for the highest price in the shortest period of time. You are paying your agent to help you reach that goal and you need to work together as a team to get it done!