Home Selling in Orange>Question Details

Or C, Home Seller in Irvine, CA

How can I verify the number of closed sales of a Realtor?

Asked by Or C, Irvine, CA Tue May 4, 2010

In the course of looking for a realtor to sell my house, I'd like to be able to verify some of their numbers. Is there a public data base or can the office manager provide information about that?

Answers

10
You have to fully trust any realtor you decide to work with. If you feel the need to check up on the information they are giving you perhaps there is an underlying trust issue.

That being said. You sould choose a realtor you feel comfortable with. The main things you should be concerned about are:

1.have they ever had any complaints against them filed with the department of Real estate
2. are they a memeber in good standing with their local boards.
3. Do they listen to you
4. do they return your calls in a timely manner.

Remember, Walmart sales way more shirts than Nordstrom, but I think you would agree the level of service you receive from Nordstrom, and the quality of the product is far superior to that at Walmart.

Quality of service not volume of sales is the real test of a great realtor!

Best of Luck to you.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Dear Or C,
It won't be easy to "verify the claims" of a Realtor who's word you don't trust. You could call the broker, but you might not get that information from them either. I doubt the MLS will give you this information either since you are not a member of that organization. Title companies have it...if you know which title company was used.
Take my advice and interview a few more Agents. There really are some very honest and hardworking Realtors out there!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 30, 2010
That information can be verified by the office manager, the mls or check to see if on his/her company's website agent page shoule note his current listings and past sale should be on that page.
I don't know of any public data base... and as suggested earlier contacting the office manager at their brokerage is a good idea. However, most MLS systems have this information available as a general seach...simply ask an Agent while thery are at your house inteviewing them to not only show them their own stats...and while they are doing it...why not check out the other stats as well. What's the worse they can do, say no? looks like they won't be hired. However, with that said...not all of an Agents sold statistics always end up on the MLS.
Great question. You can ask their manager for this information, but I have a better suggestion. Ask the agent to provide this information. When interviewing agents for your business, ask them to pull up the report on the MLS. Have them do this from their laptop when sitting at your kitchen counter.

Best of luck!

Ryan Smith
Yes, the office manager can verify the claims of the agent.

But, do the agent a favor, will you - tell them, even if after they make their claims, that you're going to check up on them. I think they deserve the courtesy of knowing that you don't trust them.
You could verify this via MLS data, or a report generated by various title companies.

Any MLS member can look that up for you. What I might suggest is to talk to a few agents, ask them to bring a laptop....Starbucks is my favorite office :)....and have them show you the stats directly from the MLS itself.

Since you are doing your homework, you can also check for any complaints by looking up the license with the California Department of Real Estate. Be sure and ask for references and call....ask for a transaction that was difficult to complete...either with financing, or appraisal, or difficult agents, something which demonstrates the work ethic and creativity of the agent. You need to make sure that you have an agent who won't disappear when the going gets rough and has the experience to know how to handle things.

I work and live in Orange County, I'd love to buy you a Latte and show you the closed sales I've done, if you are still interviewing Realtors. I would invite you to read some of my blog posts and answers to questions here on Trulia and/or my website....see if you think we might be a fit.

Karen
The office manager can be an easy helpful resource for that. Go ahead and try giving them a call.

And if you need any help or OC agent referrals, let me know!

Richard Schulman
Or C,

You might want to take a look at the blog attached to the link below.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/rockinblu/2008/12/i_ve_got_my_fin…