Home Selling in Fort Worth>Question Details

Kyle And Tif…, Home Seller in Fort Worth, TX

How can I get the most exposure selling my home by owner?

Asked by Kyle And Tiffani Rasmussen, Fort Worth, TX Mon Apr 2, 2012

Answers

12
How ironic that you are choosing to sell by owner, but yet are looking for agents to guide you on your marketing efforts; you received good advice below...post your property in various internet venues/local print media....
The best exposure is the MLS. With over 90% of all buyers being represented by an Agent and searching the MLS in their local areas that is the best way for people to find your homes. While most of my clients use sites like Trulia and Zillow they are outdated.

When a buyer signs up with my team and I would speculate most agents we set up searches in our MLS. This is the most up to date and comprehensive information available. When they get notified of a new home that meets their criteria it can take up to 72 hours for that home to populate onto Zillow or Trulia.

So while these sites are great for somebody casually looking for homes the "ready" buyers are working with agents and getting this data. Being in the MLS gives you more eyes than anything else and more eyes will always translate into a higher asking price for the seller.

Best of luck to you,

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com
http://www.AustinListed.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 2, 2012
Dear Kyle and Tiffani,

You will sell your house faster and for more money if you call an experienced Realtor to market your property. But more importantly, there are security issues and legal pitfalls that you cannot handle on your own. Your home is your most important investment, most likely, so why would you want to risk it with an amateur? Do you call a professional to do your taxes? Do you call a professional to handle your lawsuits? Do you call a professional to get medical advice? ...Well --- the same thing applies to Real Estate: Call a Professional!!

I have 32 years of experience selling houses in Tarrant County. Plus a degree and lots of recent classes to update us on the changes in the laws and procedures. What are your qualifications?

If you want to check the statistics, 93% of all houses are sold by Realtors. Half of the 7% (FSBO's) wind up in some sort of litigation. What would an attorney cost you?

Better to hire a Realtor!

Good luck, and call me if you have any questions.

Rick DeVoss

---The Michael Group

817-300-6121

rickdevoss@realtor.com

>>We can also help you save money on your electric bills. Contact me to hook up your utilities.

IGNITE ...we light up the world...

=========================
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 2, 2012
Hi Kyle and Tiffani,

What I would do is use my $99 economy listing plan to get you the MLS exposure you need and still sell your home FSBO. Buyer and Buyer's Agents will still contact you direct for showings and you will not owe any additional seller's agent commissions. Not only will it create leads off of Trulia.com, Zillow.com, Realtor.com etc it will feed straight into majority of realtor sites that have IDX links and pull up in any MLS realtor searches for agents working with Buyers...people search for homes on their smart phones as we all know then they call the agent.

Call me anytime to discuss. Assisting FSBO Clients are my specialty.

Check out all my listing plan options at

http://www.exclusivepropertiestexas.com

I look forward to working with you.

Nathan Beckey. Realtor
(m) 817.691.3602 (e) nathan@exclusivepropertiestexas.com

'More Option . More Results'
Realtors are pro's in this area spent years to prefect the art of attracting home buyers. Good luck

Keep in mind when you sell a home you MUST comply with State law or you COULD get sued .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Kyle and Tiffani.

I have to agree with Kyle's answer - hire a professional. Realtors pay dues 4 times a year for the privilege of being able to use the MLS. Also, since we do this for a living, statistics show that homes sell faster and for more money when listed with an experienced agent. This may be the first house you have sold. I have sold 100's. Experience counts.

Also, there is a good chance that the buyer will be represented by an agent. If you try to sell by yourselves, who will be representing your interests?

Pat Safian
817.690.6094
Most of the Realtors I chat with on a deep level confide they are not aggressive about working with FSBOs because they end up doing all of the work for half the money. Not saying that is right or wrong, just passing on what I have been told. Selling a home for what it is worth requires increasing the odds during the marketing process, cutting out a large segment of the buyer pool doesn’t do this.

Thousands of closed real estate deals over decades and I can count on one hand the number of purchases that did not have at least one Realtor involved. My closing attorney told me they account for about 1% of her volume, way more than my percentage. However, she also told me that out of that total number 98% of those were between relatives. I thought that was very interesting. I have never heard anyone before break down a profile on a FSBO.
Hire an agent.
In today's market, going at it alone is just so tough.
Probably 95% or more of the homes are seen with agents.
There's just a lot of reasons for this..... to name 10...
MLS, Realtor.com, Trulia, Backpage, Craigslist, Single Property Websites, blogs, activerain, SEO, lead capture.... sure you can post on craigslist, but how do you post so people will look at the ad? How do you capture their details, so you can contact them? What ads work and which don't.

For example do a google search on an address in your neighborhood.
Probably the first 3-4 pages of google will have realtor websites. Virtually no FSBO sites come up.
So how are people going to find your house.

Buyers and realtors are typically pressed for time, so having a realtor involved speeds things up greatly for all of us in lots of different ways. It's not that I don't want to show or work with a FSBO, it's just not time or cost effective for me.

You know what a buyer in the car always says about a FSBO? Wow there's a bargain. I bet I could save X if I bought that house. Can we see it? That's why homes listed by realtors sell for more money on average. Who's saving the commission, you or the buyer? I know what the buyer thinks.

Then there are the logistics....access to the house, access while the seller is not there, knowledge of the contracts, availability of resources when things go wrong, etc.

My advice.... be very cautious about going at it alone. Do you know if the contract dates are calendar or business dates? What do you know about mineral rights? Do you know which lenders close on time and which don't? Do you know which title companies close on time and which don't? What kind of disclosures do you need to provide the buyer and when? Do you know the red flags of what information goes on your marketing materials that could cause you legal trouble even after the sale? Who should pay for a new survey? Is there a way to use the old one? What obligations do you have with the contract? Does your home qualify for FHA, VA, or USDA financing? If you sign a contract where the seller indicates they are using VA financing, but your home doesn't qualify is the contract even valid? Do you have an attorney you can get real estate advice from for free? How can you help ensure your home will meet appraisal? What happens if it doesnt? There are just some of the hundreds of questions that come up during the sale. Are you ready?
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
You may put your home all the free and paid internet. You may also use local news papers.good luck.
You can gain exposure selling your own home by posting information about it on every website you have access to, i.e., Craigslist. The reason is that 95% of people looking for homes find them on the internet, a statistic stated by the National Association of Realtors. Very few people look at newspaper ads anymore. Also, offer as many picures as possible, place easy-to-spot directional signs to your home, and place a large, legible sign in from of your home. Flyers should be posted everywhere, at local coffee houses, grocery stores, & wherever these are allowed.
To get the most exposure hire a local, full time, full service agent who is well experienced in your area. They can assist you on pricing the home correctly, tips on staging and showings. For me i can say I use an extensive marketing and advertising programs to get your house ouyt in front of the most potential buyers possible. A good agent will do teh same getting you a better price and quicker sale.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Take lots of good pictures, get a good sign, post it everywhere you can with picture, make it easy to see the inside, and more than anything else price it right.

Best of luck ... Bruce Erickson, Cell 214-213-6382