Question Details

Nikki, Home Seller in Harleysvillle, PA

How can I get my home sold from another state?

Asked by Nikki, Harleysvillle, PA Wed Apr 16, 2008

I recently removed my home from the market. I believe my realtor gave up on the property but I still need to sell it. How do I find a realtor to list and show my property when I am 1000 miles away

Answers

9
FIND AN AGENT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH WHERE YOU ARE AND HAVE THEM REFER YOU TO A GREAT AGENT WHERE YOUR HOME IS LOCATED.
One thing I do is help in the area of relocation referrals. I have a company referral process that screens agents and finds just the one who will work hard, has a good reputation, is accountable to more than the distant seller and must provide service according the to referral instructions (which come directly from you the seller). Contact me if you would like my assistance. Please check out my profile for the quality of service you can expect - Platinum Quality Service Award recipient. email me directly jlizotte@prunw.com
Web Reference: http://www.junelizotte.com
Nikki
I went througth the exact experience. You'll need to a couple of things:
1. Ask friends you have back home for referrals. Develop list of concerns that you have and ask each Realtor you interview the same questions, then you can compare their answers.
2. I like the idea of asking some of your new friends of they know of a Realtor in your new home town. Sit down and go over your situation, and see what they say. They can probably find you a Realtor that can help.
3. Look in Trulia Voices for a Realtor that works in that area. Ask the same questions

Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Work with a real estate company that is nationwide. Another words you can talk with a local agent and then it can be referred to an agent in the city where your home is and then you actually have a local agent that will get a referral and the other agent the commission, but you will have two realtors to keep you posted as to the upkeep of your listing from states away.
Find another Realtor who doesn't give up that easily! Ask potential Realtors for references. How long has she/he been in the business? Is it their full time job? Are you, the seller, realistic in pricing? Is the property in move in condition?
My company is nationwide and has a great relocation department that can arrange for a qualified agent to assist you. Just let me know.
Web Reference: http://www.jackmarkle.com
Nikki,
I would recommend calling a local agent that you may know or have worked with and ask them to refer you to a Realtor in the location that you are trying to sell. Many Realtors have excellent contacts throughout the US and abroad and know of the agent's areas of expertise, etc. Good luck!
Loni's basically right: You need to find a Realtor in the area of the home you're selling.

The question is: How do you find a good one? A couple of suggestions. Search online for homes in the same neighborhood or zip code as the one you want to sell. Make notes on who the listing agents are. Look for a pattern; very often, a few agents will be dominant in a particular area. That's one place to begin, and really the one I'd recommend.

Another option is to contact an agent where you are now (preferably someone you know, someone you trust and like) and ask for a referral to an agent in the area where your home's located. Most firms have referral programs. That means a couple of things: First, the agent you contact probably will receive a share of the commission, so you might as well ask someone you know, trust, like. However, it also means that you'll probably have a better shot at getting a good agent than if you simply opened up the phone book, called an office, and got whoever was on desk duty.

After you've identified 3 or so possible agents, then you'll want to interview them, as Loni suggests. And there are plenty of threads on Trulia about how to choose a listing agent.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
You need to call local realtors in the area you are selling in and interview them by phone and determine which one will meet your needs even though you are 1000 miles away.