Alissa Sergi,  in Jackson, NJ

How can I find the nearest fire hydrant to a home?

Asked by Alissa Sergi, Jackson, NJ Thu Oct 2, 2008

Need for a homeowners policy.

Answers

44
FireDepartmentDirectory.com has a list of fire departments that you could call to find out where the closest hydrant is.
As an update, http://www.firedepartment.net/nearest-fire-department gives you a list of fire departments by distance to the address you enter.
Flag Tue Mar 17, 2015
I've had lots of luck with Google Street view. If there's also a property appraiser’s website for that county, sometimes they'll have map measuring tools that you can use to measure the distance. :) Tricks of the trade I've learned from being an agent. If those things do not work, you will have to do some calling.
Web Reference: http://horacemann.com
Billions of dollars spent on emergency management systems and we don't even know where the nearest fire hydrant is located. I've been reading questions from fire departments asking for a google map for their department and I work for the Insurance industry where we have to drive out to an area and find one. This is pretty sad.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 19, 2013
I agree. I work in the real estate and insurance fields and can find no site to look up hydrant placement. It's not always convenient to call from the field only to be transferred 5 times or give more phone numbers to call and forget about getting the info on the weekend and after hours.
Flag Sat Feb 22, 2014
Flag Sat Feb 22, 2014
Thanks for the BS reponses people. Go look? Follow a dog? Are you serious? What if I live on the east coast and need the information on a property on the west coast? It is not very feasible to "Go Look" now is it? Obviously, if it is close enough, go look.... dorks! Thank you to those of you actually trying to help and not get a quick laugh.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 25, 2010
LOL - I am having same problem - most home owners insurance application require an answer to "how near is a fire hydrant to your home." Since we have not moved to the residence yet, I have no idea. I guess I will try google street view.
Flag Mon Mar 7, 2016
chill out dude! use a dowsing rod, you'll find one. a$$clown.
Flag Thu May 22, 2014
how many feet to public fire hydrant from my house
nearest fire hydrant location to 800 Augusta Court, Concord, CA 94518
Where is the fire hydrant closest to 3700 Race St., Denver, CO?
Where is closest fire hydrant to property at 13994 NC 210 Rocky Point, NC?
My home address is 4733-25 Avenue. Is there a fire hydrant within 1000 feet of my home?.
Need to know nearest fire hydrant to 5074 flamingo memphis
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 18, 2015
Where is closet fire hydrant to my apartment?
What is the distance to the nearest fire hydrant from 2022 Davies Road, Prattville, Alabama 36067.
Are there fire hydrants on Mason Road in Berlin, MD?
2900 fm 971 Georgetown Texas 78626
I like to find out if there is a fire hydrent at 5844brandon hill loop, haymarket va 20169
I searched for it on the local municipal water district website and I found the regulations/city code stipulating the placement of fire hydrants for residential and commercial areas.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 26, 2014
Take your dog for a walk. ;-)

Looks like some good answers have already been posted. You didn't mention why it is important to you???
When applying for home owners insurance, one of the questions they ask as they calculate your rate is how far is your new home to the nearest fire hydrant. So, we're all asking: how do we find this out?
Flag Tue Jan 12, 2016
I know this post is rather dated, however, call your local MUA. They know the exact locations of fire hydrants because they have to maintain them. hopefully you found your answer by now.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 13, 2014
Hi Alissa,

If the local fire station can not tell you, try and check with your home insurance policy. You can get a decent discount if you are near a fire hydrant.
Call your nearest fire station and they will tell you whre the nearest hydrant is.
Closest fire department to 40940 Royal Trails rd Eustis fl 32736
OUR ADDRESS IS 3588 E C-466 WILDWOOD, FLORIDA WHERE IS THE NEAREST HYDRANT LOCATED
nearest fire hydrant to 6012 kenmore pl, chicago, IL
6012 kenmore pl chicago il
Where is the fire hydrant for Frostproof, Florida on Hopson Road?
The answer is rather messy.

1. Do a physical survey AND double check with your fire district. Not all fire hydrants are hooked up water and sometimes not even to the pipe with the right water flow.

http://westseattleblog.com/2013/05/why-red-rings-might-be-co…

2. Very few states (5) have their fire rating bureaus. You can call them since their core mission is to rate fire districts and commercial buildings.

Washington Surveying and Rating Bureau
http://www.wsrb.com/wsrbweb/company/wsrbwho.aspx
http://wsrb.wordpress.com/
looking for a fire hydrant close to corona ca six inch line and six nut an bolts
I work for a Insurance company, and I am just trying to find out the distance to the nearest fire hydrant?
closest fire hydrant to 6895 manasota beach rd englewood, florida 34223
what is the nearest fire hydrant to 1711 Dixon Blvd., Cocoa, Florida?
HI ALLISSA,
WISH I SAW THIS SOONER. I WORK FOR ALLSTATE INSURANCE COMPANY. I'VE BEEN AN AGENT FOR 6YRS. INSURANCE PRODUCERS ASK THIS QUESTION OUT OF LAZINESS. AN EXPERIENCED AGENT WOULD KNOW THIS QUESTION. AN EXPERT AGENT WOULD ALSO KNOW YOUR ZIP CODE JUST BY STATING YOUR TOWN YOU LIVE IN. BEWARE OF PRODUCERS/AGENTS THAT CAN'T GIVE YOU ANSWERS OR QUESTION DUMB THINGS. THIS WILL MEAN YOU WILL BE TREATED LIKE THAT AS THEIR POLICY HOLDER BUT EVEN WORSE!

MOST COMPANIES WANT YOU TO HAVE A FIRE HYDRANT WITHIN 500-1000FT. THIS GETS YOU A CHEAPER PRICE BECAUSE A FIRE TRUCK IS ABLE TO PUT OUT A FIRE FASTER WHICH MEANS LESS OF YOUR HOME BEING A TOTAL LOSS WHICH IN RETURN LESS MONEY AN INSURANCE COMPANY WOULD HAVE TO PAY YOU IN A CLAIM.

MOST LIKELY IF YOU DON'T SEE A FIRE HYDRANTS JUST BY LOOKING BOTH WAYS DOWN THE STREET ON EACH SIDE OF YOUR HOME, YOU DON'T HAVE ONE. THIS MEANS YOU HAVE WELL WATER. IF YOU DON'T HAVE WELL WATER YOU DEFINATELY HAVE A FIRE HYDRANT WITHIN 500-1000 FT. THERE ARE COUNTY CODES THAT REGULATES THIS.

IF YOU HAVE WELL WATER MOST TOWNS PROVIDE TANKER TRUCKS. MAKE SURE TO TELL THE INS. CO. THIS IF APPLICABLE(IT WILL GET YOU A CHEAPER PRICE). THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL ASK HOW MUCH WATER THIS TANKER TRUCK HOLDS. MOST INSURANCE COMPANIES DEMAND IT TO BE 10K-30K GALLONS. THIS WOULD BE A QUESTION FOR YOU TO CALL YOUR LOCAL FIRE DEPT ABOUT.
MY OFFICE IS LOCATED IN TURNERSVILLE NJ AND RARELY HAVE THIS PROBLEM BUT MY OFFICE IN FRANKLINVILLE NJ HAS THIS PROBLEM AND WE ACTUALLY HAD TO SIGN UP WITH A SPECIAL COMPANY THAT WILL TAKE HOMES WITH WELL WATER.
This isn't really true. I'm not an agent but work for an insurance company. We have to ask where the nearest hydrant is. For my own house the closest hydrant is 2530 feet... I mapped it on Google Maps after I saw where it was located. We have a voluntary fire department which is 8 miles from my house....no tanker trucks. So obviously we don't fall under the 1000 feet or within 5 miles from station. Not all carriers will insure. Sometimes it's best to go with an agency who can shop several carriers.
Flag Wed May 11, 2016
Hi Allstate personnel, and officianado of all things fire related... I am an Independent agent, and write business for several different companies. Companies that do not provide this information automatically, yet require this question to be answered, on each application for tenant or HO policies.
Every policy requires a little bit of effort from the proposed insured, regardless of who their insurance company is.
I'm sure you understand, since YOU have to ask when the last time their roof has been replaced, or request proof of completion of a defensive driver's course, or request proof that their roof has been shingled with hail resistant shingles, in order to provide good customer service.
I have worked for Allstate before. This question was not on their application. Their program automatically determined rates based on other factors. I do not ask this question out of laziness, it is required to complete the application process.
Flag Mon May 9, 2016
Ethics...read about it. The State of Mississippi requires 3 hours of ethics before renewing your license. Just because you MAY know underwriting rules for Allstate doesn't mean you know them for all companies. I've been a licensed agent for 42 years and you are way off base besides being arrogant.
Flag Mon May 11, 2015
I have to say, I am a licensed agent with both the CIC and CISR designations. I was coming here to look for the information for a client and I don't think NOT knowing right off the bat makes me any less of a good agent. I have my specialties and my knowledge banks in certain areas however, I too agree that your post is very belittling and I was offended reading it; Glad I'm in good company with the others below!
Flag Tue Nov 11, 2014
Are all Allstate Agents as condescending as you are? Is this an appropriate way to repond to someone asking a legitimate question? You certainly have convinced me not to use Allstate Insurance for any of my home/auto or business needs. What's the point in yelling?
Flag Fri Jun 20, 2014
Can't say that this would apply in all counties. What about a rural-ish setting just outside city limit, but on public water. My house has no well, but it easily sits 200ft off the road. So if the nearest fire hydrant to my drive way were 850ft down the road, then I'm over 1000ft. My neighbors house easily is 500ft off the road, up a hill. So....
Flag Sat Jun 14, 2014
"I WORK FOR ALLSTATE INSURANCE..." That is very apparent based on the comments in your annoying post...I've been an independent agent for 27 years and suggest you do a little more research and gain some more experience before you pretend to be an insurance expert..
Flag Wed Nov 6, 2013
Professional Agents NEVER bad mouth any other Agents. It's part of what you learn in your licensing classes and tests.
Flag Thu Sep 26, 2013
WHY ARE YOU YELLING?? Do you see anyone else on here typing in all caps? Why do people do this???
Flag Mon Apr 1, 2013
fire hydrant infront of house
does 1605 china berry, kingsland, tx have any fire hydrants near by?
Could you please let me know the closest fire hydrant is to my home. the address is 6820 Flying Eagle Ct. Wendell, NC 27591
28 tyler in aiumcreek wv is there a fire hydrant near my home
Nearest fire hydrant to 1368 roundtop road, middletown pa 17057
IF YOU DON'T HAVE WELL WATER, YOU HAVE A FIRE HYDRANT WITHIN 500-1000FT
Flag Wed Aug 8, 2012
is there a fire hydrant in front of 696 east 59th street brooklyn ny 11234

newmarrtt@verizon.net
If there are no hydrants they may ask you the closest body of water. (could include a pool, pond lake etc)
I was told a pool doesn't cut it....needs to be a two hour water source.
Flag Tue Jun 24, 2014
You can call the local fire department, but you can drive around and find them and then you will be able ti figure out how far from the house it is.
Sharon Kozinn
Web Reference: http://sharonkozinn.com
Alissa,

Since some hydrants are positioned in remote locations we feel the best approach is to be in touch with the local fire department. They should know where all hydrants are located.

Some rural sections of Jackson don't have hydrants. Check with the fire department.
drive thru the neighborhood and look. Some inspection companies make note of this during their inspection.
Ask the local Dept. of Water and Power.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Few options either look, ask a resident, or contact the local fire department.
http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com