Jsto, Home Seller in 54956

How can I find out what the actual worth of my home is without using an agent? We are not sure if we need to sell or not yet.

Asked by Jsto, 54956 Mon Nov 16, 2009

Answers

10
Hi, The actual worth is technically what a buyer is willing to pay for it. You can only get an estimated range based on sales within the last six months in your area. The most accurate infor comes from the local MLS which only agents have access to. Othersise you have to rely on sites like Zillow to hopefully be correct.

Chris
The actual worth of your home is the price that you and a qualified willing and able Buyer agree to. As Realtors, we can estimate the selling price based on realistic recently sold similar properties near your neighborhood. You may hire an appraiser, but when all is said and done, the end result of selling returns to the first statement above. Your "need" to sell is not a factor in your home's value, but may be a factor in what you are willing to accept in a legitimate offer to purchase.
Good afternoon Jsto,

One of the ways is to hire a professional appraiser, But my advise is to make sure the current market value is based on an unbiais opinion. Due to the downward trend of the market, overpricing your property could do you more financial harm then anything. There are several ways to find out and that is to have a BPO (Brokers Price Opinion) completed, whereas no one has an interest in the sale of your property. No commissions, no lenders. Generally this is completed by a BPO agent. The agent does not want to sell your home or list your home. Appraisers can be expensive for what you are looking for. BPO agents are marketing specialist as well as a REALTOR and practice Real Estate under the same State and Federal requirements...In a nut shell, they are REALTORS.

If you want to do your own research, there are plenty of public sites you can go to that may help you determine the right list price based on recent sales for this market. I hope this has been of help to you.

Equitable Assessment Field Services, LLC
You can always hire a professional appraiser, if you're against contacting any local Realty office(s).

Anna
Hello Jsto,
We are Real Estate Professionals, talk with a few Realtors have them Give you a Fair Market Value or a Comparable Market Analyse (CMA) it shouldn't cost you anything for them to do this for you. If you still are unsure, then an appraiser will be the next step. Polly and Keith are giving you good advise. Have a Blessed Day.
Sherry Rowland, Affiliate Broker
Coldwell Banker Wallace & Wallace
#865-202-5938
One thing that you can do to get a quick snapshot of your properties value is to order (through a realtor) a BPO which stands for broker priced opinion. You can get them done for 50-80 bucks and it will give you a rough idea based on recent comps both what has been sold and your current competition.

Hope this helps,

Nate in Appleton
Why don't you use Zillow?

Half-kidding..There are a number of variables when estimating the value of your home. My recommendation would be to ask a Realtor for a Fair Market Value analysis. You could also have your property appraised by a professional appraiser, probably for around $400-$500.

The other important thing to find out is what minor repairs or improvements could you make to max the value. A Realtor would be your best source for that advice.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
I think you need a realtor. Home appraisers are not always going to be able to give you a correct price to sell your home. I had a client that paid (between $300.- $500.) for an appraisal and they gave her a number $25,000. over what it eventually sold for. As the other realtor stated, you need a realtor. that is our profession. We see what is on the market and know how your property would compare today and it's value and saleability.
Julie Aslin
Coldwell Banker
Jaslin@coldwellhomes.com
Hi Jsto,

I am a realtor and I do work and live in Neenah. I guess my question back would be, why not ask a realtor to check the market value of your home? I do evaluations all the time. I just did one for a young lady and frankly told her not to sell her home. My job is to advise you, not sell you. As the gentleman below said, you can always hire an appraiser.

Polly Briley
RE/MAX On The Water
Hi, I am a Realtor but I do not work in your area.
I hope this links might help you:
Recente sales: http://benitogarza.remax.com/communityinfo/homesales.aspx

This one I like more:
What's Your Neighborhood Worth?
http://benitogarza.remax.com/Listings/NeighborhoodValuation_…
If you want it by Email (PDF), you need to provide your email, but since I do not work on your area, I will not contact you.

Also, without contacting a Realtor, you could hire an appraiser to do an appraisal. It won't be free.