Home Selling in West Bend>Question Details

Jayla638, Home Seller in West Bend, WI

How can I check if my divorce attorney put a lien on my properties I was court ordered to sell?

Asked by Jayla638, West Bend, WI Sat Jan 21, 2012

My ex and I still own property until said properties are sold and proceeds split. How can I find out if my attorney put a lien on the properties?

Help the community by answering this question:


If you want to find out yourself, you can get an online title report within few minutes on website such as http://www.nextace.com then you should exam the title and verify the records on your own.

You can also search for lien for free at http://www.searchq.com then search by your home address to download a free property report. If you see no lien information on the report, your property might be free of liens.

In the WI, you can call the clerk of circuit court in the county, where the property is located, to inquire about the liens.
Web Reference: http://www.searchq.com
3 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 8, 2015
AS has been mentioned, you should be able to verify these things through a simple Google search. Also, the divorce attorney will typical tell you what they are doing along the way, and provide you with the proper paperwork. I hope that you get this figured out.
Mark Leach | http://backuslawgroup.com/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 20, 2015
That's a great question. I would consider simply talking about this with your divorce attorney. He or she should be able to tell you what you need to do. I'm guessing that if your attorney did put a lien on the properties, he would've told you. I hope you're able to get your money back from that property. Good luck! http://www.karplawoffice.com/divorce-separation-family-law-s…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 12, 2014
I think that communicating with your attorney is the first step. You must understand what steps they are taking to resolve your case. I hope that you are able to have your properties. Divorce can be a very challenging series of events, which makes having a great family lawyer is essential.
Flag Mon Jan 12, 2015
I would ask your attorney because he would know. I think that that document would be a public record and that it shouldn't be that hard to get. I again would just ask your attorney he should have all the answers. http://blackhillsdivorce.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 1, 2014
A lien will be public record you can do a title search and find out most title companies will charge a small fee for this or you can goto the county records and they will have it... You can bet as an attorney he paid the filing fee to get this done.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 16, 2014
I agree with Darrick. I would check the record office and find out. They'll have all the information that you need. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

Brooke Bowen | http://www.stephenbrowndorflaw.com/divorce-law/
Flag Thu Aug 14, 2014
I'm not sure what the law is on that actually. I'd definitely make sure that the family law attorney you're dealing with has good communication. You should just be able to ask them.
Tim Johnson| http://www.bergermannlaw.com/familylaw.html
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 16, 2014
I know several great attorneys in the area, if you still need one. Happy to help. Let me know.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 1, 2014
You would want to consult an attorney. They will be able to assist you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 1, 2013
Best to not take this on as a "do it yourself" project....there can be a length of time before the lien is recorded due to the backup in the court system which is one of the big reasons we have GAP insurance in Wisconsin.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 27, 2013
The way to check if a lien is placed against the property is pretty simple.. You can do a public records search for your name search document type Lien. If one is recorded then it was placed against the home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 27, 2013
As the only Realtors certified in divorce in Wisconsin and having sold many many divorced/divorcing couples sales...we can tell you it is very rare...but not impossible. If you are selling your home, tell the Realtor to have the title company do a "search and hold" and that will tell you immediately if a lien has been put on the house. A lien doesn't necessarily mean that the house cannot be sold without full payment.....we would need more details to be able to tell you possible scenarios and you are welcome to contact us. for a confidential discussion. http://www.HansonRealEstate.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 27, 2013
We are the only real estate agents in Wisconsin certified as divorce specialists. I would be happy to find this out for you at no charge - Please call our office 8a - 8p 414-525-0563 with the details. We work with many divorcing couples and while nothing is impossible, it is not a usual situation.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 22, 2012
A title company can tell, as well as an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 22, 2012
I think an attorney would need to get a judgement against you before he could place the lien. Either way, a title search would show the lien. The easiest way would be to ask a title company to do a search for you. Not free, but not too expensive, either.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 21, 2012
Hi, Liens are usually public information so you can go to the County Clerks office to see if anything has been filed.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 21, 2012
I agree with Christopher and Jenn. I would call the records office and check. They should have all of the information that you need. Good luck and I hope you find what you need!

Dean Reese | http://www.levineandco.ca/
Flag Wed Aug 20, 2014
You should have the title searched on your property, any real estate attorney can take care of it or if you know your book and page numbers you can go to the registry of deeds in your county and search yourself.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 21, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer