Home Selling in 92586>Question Details

Jared Bell, Home Owner in Menifee, CA

House listed as two bedroom but there are three?

Asked by Jared Bell, Menifee, CA Wed Aug 31, 2011

My wife and I just bought our first house. When we came to look at it we noticed that it was actually a three bedroom rather than a two which it was listed at. The third bedroom didn't look like a conversion either to any of us, including the realtor. It has a double door entry off the living room room and about the size of one of the other bedrooms and also has a closet with sliding door. I checked all county records and it's been listed every year as 2 bedroom. When we bought the house, the appraiser even noted in one of the sections of his report that there is a third bedroom and wasn't sure why it was listed as a two bedroom.

So how do I update the status in the records for when we want to sell in the future?

Help the community by answering this question:


If you just purchased now is the time to do it.
They already made the assessment of your home or soon will.
Contact the Riverside County Tax assessors office asap and let them know.

This may effect other things you do not expect to down the road if you don't.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211
California Department of Real Estate Broker License # 01312992
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 6, 2011
Hi Jared, you can call your county tax assessor to come out and re-assess the property. Keep in mind that when you do this, you may be on the hook for more property taxes, so it might be a good idea to do this when you are certain you want to sell. Best of luck, Caroline
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 31, 2011
You should contact your town or country (however it is done in CA) and have them come out to your home to do a re-assessment. Usually this is done automatically every few years but if you want to dispute your property record, you can do so by having them come out and inspect your home. It can be a process, but it could be worth it and make the home more valuable in the future.

Also, as Sarah pointed out, sometimes it has to do with the septic (if you have one) and the lot size. Those things can influence how a house is classified and it may not be able to be changed if it doesn't fit the classifications for a 3 bedroom home in your area.

It could also be worth looking into permits that were taking out on your home, as previously pointed out. But if the appraiser was doing his job correctly (as it seems like he was because he picked up on the discrepancy) then he should have already looked into permits and such in the public records. But it wouldn't hurt to do your own research!

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 31, 2011
Sarah made a few good points, and I too would recommend contacting a real estate attorney in addition to the county assessor (for clarification as to why this may be). You might also try looking up permits to see if any alterations were done to the property. Often when a professional is used it can be very hard to tell if there was a conversion.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 31, 2011
Most likely the town you are in has this deemed a 2 bedroom. It can be a complicated process to change it, I would consult your town and a real estate attorney if need be. The fact that a room has a closet, size, etc. that makes it a bedroom does not mean that you can increase the number of bedrooms of the home for the future.

Quite often with homes this can be the case. I personally have a three bedroom house with an 'office' that we use as a fourth bedroom. But, we have a three bedroom home, septic, etc...and it is not possible to change it in my case.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 31, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer