Home Selling in Seminole>Question Details

Sweet Semino…, Home Seller in 33772

House insurance when house is on the market?

Asked by Sweet Seminole Sassy, 33772 Tue Jun 12, 2012

Also a very important question I want to ask you. My house insurance for this house expires on July 15th, I will be out of town from Monday to July 10th.
I pay for the house insurance of 1400.00, and If I do pay this, on Friday, Will I get any money back from the buyers on this house insurance? I asked the insurance company they said No.
What happens to us then? I am getting no answers to her, she told me not to renew on the house, I need somthing for fire or theft or vandalism. what do you all think?

When your house sells, you will get a refund of the unused portion of your insurance. For instance, if you pay for your insurance starting on July 15 and your house sells (closes) on August 15, the insurance company will send you a refund for the premium you paid for August 16 through the remainder of your policy.

If you can break your premium up into a few payments, pay at least the minimum. But remember, you ALWAYS want to have your house insured. June 1 began hurricane season. Don't risk it.

Tom Cato
Realty Executives Adamo
8200 Seminole Blvd
Seminole, FL 33772

keep it insurred even if you must change insurance companies, check out a 6 month policy.
Keep your home insured at all costs! Pam's correct, you'll want to contact your insurance agent and explain the situation and they should work something out with you. If they can't or won't for some reason, they have to refund you the overage you paid after closing. Although next time you need coverage, I'd talk to several agents before making your final decision.

If you'd like referrals to trusted insurance agents, feel free to contact us for a list.

Kind Regards,

Matt & Julia Fishel, CDPE, CIAS
Suncoast Partners at REMAX Elite Realty
Palm Harbor, FL

Leaving your house uninsured for ANY amount of time is a BIG risk and if there is a mortgage, your mortgage company will not allow it either. See if your insurance company will let you pay on installments. Many will credit back a portion after the closing when you send them a copy of the HUD (closing statement). Explain to your company this is why you want to do an installment. Most will work with you. They want to get your business next time around too. Insurance usually does not convey from Seller to Buyer, the Buyer will have to get their own (this is per the insurance companies).

Pam Cohn
Broker Associate, GRI, SFR, NHS
Real Estate Consulting, Marketing & Sales
Prudential Tropical Realty
2539 Countryside Blvd #3 Clearwater, FL 33761
TEXT "PAMELA" TO 727-213-5142
We are insuring it again on 6 month policy this friday, I have coverage till july 15th... so i can do it till then.. then i will buy a 6 month policy thanks to all of you for all your answers much appreciated..
Flag Wed Jun 13, 2012
no mortgage on the house. I just may pay the insurance anyways thanks i just wondered if i would get some of it back if someone should buy the house thats all and i appreciate all that you tell me everyone!
Flag Tue Jun 12, 2012