Home Selling in Parma>Question Details

Jack Sparrow, Other/Just Looking in Parma, OH

House in Parma, OH

Asked by Jack Sparrow, Parma, OH Mon May 5, 2008

I own a house in Parma that has a bowed foundation in the basement along the back wall that is 40 feet long .. It bowes in four inches from the top and the gap gets smaller going down ... I would like some recommendation if I should fix this or will this have no impact on my house value .. I had an civil engineer come out and inspect the wall and he said that to him the wall has been settled and will not bow in anymore .. Should I just leave this or should I consider methods to straighten it ... What is the acceptable method for me to fix this problem .. Please provide me with the best solution that the future home buyer will appriaciate .. I could have steel beams put against the wall to reinforce it .. Have anchors placed in my back yard and straighten the wall and keep the anchors .. Apply a foam board from the outside to control the pressure .. Or what other method can I do to sell the house without the buyer considering for me to lower the price because it was fixed impropperly

Help the community by answering this question:


Ouch ! Regardless of what even an engineer might say, there are plenty of properties for sale without a bowed wall and the condition of the wall will make most buyers say, NEXT !

If the rest of the house is exceptional, there might be a buyer who will overlook the problem, but it will almost always be a deal breaker. You are left with the option of having the estimate done and offering to have the problem fixed before title transfer, or doing it now.

If you have it repaired make all documentation and warranties available to the buyer. Ask the company doing the work if the buyer could contact them directly with questions. Before and after pictures can sometimes be helpful in cases like this.

Thanks, I hope things work out for you !! Feel free to contact me directly.
Web Reference: http://www.bobkienast.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 16, 2008
If you had a civil engineer look at it and he was not concerned, then get it in writing for the potential buyer. If you spend money on steel or anchor systems now, you may not get your money back in the sale price or the buyer may not like the method of repairs. It is better to negotiate this in the contract after the new buyer has had a home inspection and looked at the engineer's report. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://www.liveinakron.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 5, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer