Home Selling in Waukesha>Question Details

jmcconkey, Home Seller in Waukesha, WI

House has been on the market since end of August 2013. Plenty of showings. Realtors say it is priced right but needs kitchen and bathroom updated.

Asked by jmcconkey, Waukesha, WI Wed Jan 22, 2014

What can we do that won't cost a lot of money.

Answers

8
Bathroom prices generally average between $6,500 and$ 11,600 when you are replacing everything, kitchen range from $15,000-$26,000. As you can see this is a lot of money. Most likely to sell this house you need to go down on price. The only other little thing you can do, you need to remove all the clutter from the kitchen cabinets fresh paint on the walls. Remember less on the countertops better...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 22, 2014
Ask your agent to show you other active listings to verify if your competition rooms compare with yours. This requires you to put on your buyers hat and try to see their homes and yours through buyers eyes. Also try to find out if their are any other factors about your home or location that are preventing an offer from coming in. Buyers are telling you something is not right if you are not getting offers. Ask your agent to provide you with feedback from showings to help find out. Normally when showings are up but no offers come in it is the price that is the problem. All the best.
This house does not need kitchen and bathroom updating, is priced perfectly
.
If the home has been on the market for that long, with lots of showings, there is no question its over priced!

If it was priced right it would have been sold with all the traffic and eyes on it... they need to have a professional appraisal done to the home and this will tell them where it should be priced where it will sell.
The price has to match the house's true value. If a home needs updates like a new kitchen, that must be reflected in the price as well if Seller does not want to update. I sugguest a Seller offer some form of compensation to a buyer for kitchen udpates or reduce the price in reflection of udpates needed. A lack of an Offer at this points speaks for need of change in udpates or pricing and I would strongly encourage the change in pricing.
Usually when a house sits on the market with plenty of showings the price needs to be adjusted downward. From my experience this will spur an offer. As far as things you can do that won't cost a lot of money, it's very hard to advise without seeing it. If you can I would reduce the price.
Troy
House may be priced right, depends on how other similar properties are moving in that particular market. However, dropping the price is almost always an incentive that draws buyers out of the woodwork. Best of luck...
I would beg to differ with the Realtors who say it's "priced right but needs kitchen and bathroom updated". If the house needs updating, and it hasn't sold, then it's priced too high. Whatever $$ you put into kitchen & bath upgrades you WON'T get back when you sell it. I would adjust the price down, to adjust for lack of updates.
I wouldn't do much in the bathroom but more so in adjusting the price.
Flag Sat Feb 8, 2014