Mrlee, Home Seller in 11706

House has been covered for 6 yrs w #1 Termite Svc Co in Westchester. Buyers demanded a competitor spend 2 hrs knocking holes in my joists. Is this ok?

Asked by Mrlee, 11706 Sat Nov 26, 2011

Answers

9
Mr. Lee,

Could it be that there was termite damage before you hired the termite company to treat for them? Did the buyers ask for an inspection by a competitor after a home inspector found damage in the joists?

The fact that an inspector could knock holes in your joists indicates at one time there were active termites. Perhaps that was the reason you contracted with your termite company in the first place. The questions these buyers most likely wanted answers to are 1.) How extensive is the damage to the joists-has it compromised the structural integrity of the house, or do any joists need replacing, etc?, and 2.) is there any evidence of active nests now?

As you are finding out, buyers want to know exactly what they are buying before they plunk down their cash and take out a mortgage. Can you blame them?
Web Reference: http://sallykgriffiths.com
All the buyers need is a guarantee from your current pest controller.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 27, 2011
Mr Lee,
If I read your question correctly, "knocking holes in my joists" suggests they were indeed able to knock holes in your joist. I am neither an inspector or builder, but I do not believe a joist should be easily perforated.

If I have read your question correctly, the inspector simply revealed an issue the needs to be corrected.

If however, they aggressively attempted to create a hole and failed leaving behind evidence and damage, now that's a different story.
Web Reference: http://www.MyDunedin.com
Yes you gave the buyers the right to inspect your home. BUT NOT DAMAGE IT.

Good Luck
Having a competitor examine the property is ok, as long as you agreed to it. If you feel your property was damaged I would consult your lawyer.
No one is allowed to damage your property and that includes home inspectors or competing pest companies. If the buyer is not moving forward with the sale and you can prove their inspector caused damage, call your lawyer and your agent right away. You may be entitled to the cost of repairs.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
You have granted the right for the buyers to have their own inspections done, at their expense. They certainly have the right ti hire anyone they might select. As you have had the property covered with routine inspections, there should be no issue!
Buyers can choose to have the property reinspected, and hire whoever they wish; it appears the inspection was mutually agreed upon, therefore not sure an issue exists; what is you agent and or attorney suggesting....
It sounds a little DRAMATIC;
yes, the Buyers have the right to have their own Inspectors; you gave them the right.

Good luck and may God bless