Home Selling in Oak Lawn>Question Details

Nicholsjessi…, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

Home is a SFH in Oaklawn with other town homes as comparisons. Been on the market for 365 , we've been thru two realtors, and dropped the price by 50K

Asked by Nicholsjessica.05, Dallas, TX Fri Oct 19, 2012

We need a sales person who can actually sell, and not just say to keep dropping the price; give the home away with a huge loss. Very sad as we have two kids under 2, and we want to get into a neighborhood for them.

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1031119366-4232-Wycliff-Ave-D…

Answers

8
I am familiar with Oaklawn as it is my area. First, your property is very unique and shares a lot with another unit. Most buyers in your price range do not want to share a lot unless they are buying a condo. Second, the color is not very favorable.

Agents do not get paid until the unit sells. So they are probably doing everything they can. So if you want to sell this property you are going to have to do some things cosmetically and or reduce the price more to make a buyer come. You should also be talking with your Agent and not us. This shows me that you are not communicating with your Agent and if you are it probably is not a good one. It like a marriage, what you put in is what you get back.

Kenny
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 22, 2012
Keep at it, the right buyer will come along.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 15, 2014
WOW! a year is a loooong time to have anything on the market in Oaklawn. I would be happy to help you troubleshoot the issues... and get you in a home perfect for your kiddos.
call me and I will explain exactly why and give you everything you need to sell your home in one week. 214-714-3137
I would agree with the other Realtors here. Pricing, condition and marketing are key. If one of these is missing or inadequate your property sits on the market. You have a unique location and I think this is your biggest hurdle. You're off a busy street at the back of the lot and are squeezed in behind a commercial building. For the same money, buyers can get most of the features of this home in a more favorable location, but at the right price someone will be willing to accept the location. Best of luck!
I'm struck by 1) the external color and 2) the very strong style notes of interior which will a buyer will either love or hate... you really want to think about toning it down to something much tamer. As any agent will tell you, aim for as neutral as possible to make it easier for your potential buyers to envision living there.

I live about 4 blocks away, as I see it here is the core challenge: the value (amenities, sq footage) of the property may be appropriate for that listing price but it is NOT comparable to other properties at that price because you have a very unique location. I don't mean how well positioned you are within Oaklawn/Highland park. I mean the actual property lot.

At that price, buyers may not want to be so set back with only views of a church and the parking lot.
A buyer who is attracted to your actual home is going to look at comparables in that price per sq ft range and decide they want a better location.

That's why your agents have been pushing on the listing price.
Hi Jessica,

If you would like another agent to take a look at your property, I would be happy to do so. There are 3 things that sell a home: Price, Condition, and Marketing. If the home has been on the market that long, there are problems with one of these, and the other two are not making up for it.

If you have not had a recent market analysis done, that should be your first step. Find out what other homes similar to yours are selling for and what is available on the market.

Compare the condition of your home to the condition of the others that are available. If they have more updates and are in better condition, you need to drop the price to make up for that.

Finally, it comes down to marketing. Once you have the home properly conditioned and priced for that condition, it comes down to an agent who can market your home to get the most exposure and bring in the most potential buyers. What have the other 2 agents done to market your home other than maybe an open house and putting the home on here? I don't see a virtual tour on the home. Here are just a few of the things that we do to help get a home sold fast: http://finddallashomesforsale.com/sellers/

If you would like to meet to discuss your home, please feel free to give me a call.

Brian Rayl
B&B Realty Group
Keller Williams Elite
214-601-4192
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
It's unfortunate that you have been on the market for 365 days and have not sold yet. Pricing is a huge factor in getting your home sold. It looks like either you have been chasing the market down or the agents told you an inflated list price so that you would list with them.

I recommend you have a very frank conversation with your current agent. Ask for honesty and comparable listings which are active, pending and sold. Have your agent take you to visit your competition. And evaluate how you can position your home to compete with what is selling.

If your listing has expired then interview agents and find out how creative they can be. If your market is loan challenged perhaps you can offer to buy down points. If it is down payment challenged, you can offer to credit towards closing or perhaps carry back a small second.

Maybe your home would do well to be taken off the market for a while 30 or more days to let the days on market turn back to look like a new listing.

You can also check out the new book released "Sell Your House Fast for the Right Price!" I am a co-author and there is a wealth of information from agents all over the country.

Have an Amazing day!
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com