Becky, Other/Just Looking in Chino Hills, CA

Hi there, I'm thinking of selling my manufactured home myself in CA without a selling agent....

Asked by Becky, Chino Hills, CA Tue May 13, 2014

and I wonder who is responsible for buyer's agent's commissions?? Since I didn't hire an agent myself, if my buyer has someone, is he responsible for paying his own agent?? I'm listing my 2000 manufactured home in Chino Hills for $30K, and most agents will charge me $5000 for commission if I hire them as my listing agent.. it is just too much! thanks!

Answers

7
No one is responsible for paying the buyers agent a commission unless there is a written agreement in place. However, to insure that the process goes as smoothly as possible, you may want to offer the buyers agent a commission as it would be in everyones interest to have a professional handle the transaction.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 16, 2014
We don't charge that much for a commission on a property with that amount on a purchase price. If a buyer wants to buy with an agent someone will need to pay the commission whether it is negotiated through the contract or if the buyer agrees to pay it, it will need to be established. If you would like to discuss listing the property with please feel free to contact us and we can discuss what the commission amount would be.
Becky...some people advertise and sell their homes themselves or they offer agents less commission to sell their homes; also some sell themselves and offer the buyer's agent less than normal commission.....lots of options. Please remember that agents have a duty to protect their clients and should use all the proper standard purchase agreements and disclosures to ensure a sooth transaction.
"Is that why workers all around the country strike for better wages? " quoted from 'research" Home Buyer who responded below..

Did you know the average income for a real estate agent is less than $17,000 yearly. A full time employee at McDonald's makes more and does not have the business expenses of a real estate agent.

Buyers and sellers have many options. Each comes with a unique set of benefits and risk.
Buyers and seller always have the choice of going with the lowest bidder. Unfortunately, that tends to bring it back to 'RESEARCHES' issue that compensation will prove to be inadequate........unless the deliverables are greatly reduced.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 24, 2014
Wait, my experience is that the "agents" pass onto you a password to listing book and than the template sale papers.

And for that they want 10-10% of sale price?

Because this i s business? This is fleecing, not business.

The agents do not store, transport or pay taxes on the goods the "sell" they sell other people goods without any rental space to store them.

5% is more like it, and that will be 1,500 and try e-sellers. Some charge even less.

You have no obligation to buy Porsches to guys who help put people out of their homes.
Annette Lawrence, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
This is a business not a hobby.
Just pay to advertise in Auto Trader and work directly with the buyer.

Or you can put it on Craigslist and work directly with who shows up.

You have options.
One option not available, as you have discovered, is to dictate the compensation for which others will work. I think if you actually tried you could get that down to 10% or comparable minimal compensation agreement.

Who pays that 10% is also negotiable and will influence price and venues.

I know, you think 10% is too high also. This is a business not a hobby.
One option is not to dictate what others will work for?
Really? Is that why workers all around the country strike for better wages?
Is Florida really that silly and that arrogant?
So how about this?

No one needs you.

We can indeed buy and sell through the net and pay few hundreds to a lawyer to draw the papers. except sitting on MLS websites, you do nothing for anyone but yourselves.
Flag Sat May 24, 2014
Someone will have to pay. Agents wont help to sell your home unless you agree to pay a commission. So your only hope would be a unrepresented buyer or you can negotiate payment for an agent that approaches you with a buyer.