Home Seller, Home Seller in 33625

Hi, Question about showings.

Asked by Home Seller, 33625 Fri Sep 24, 2010

Listed my home for sale with an agent and have had a few showings. Asked the agent the other day for the name (only the name) of one of the visitors and she said she couldn’t give it to me because it was privileged information. Is this true?

Answers

3
The question is what relationship does the buyers agent have to the buyer. A transaction brokerage which is what most agents work as requires limited confidentiality, a single agent requires full confidentiatlity and no brokerage relationship does not have a confidentiality requirement.

With that said to give the buyer's name to you I would want a clearance from the buyer in writing, and would recommend they do not give that permission. If you want the buyer's name you should have your agent put that requirement up front in the MLS and disclosed to any showing agent and their buyers. I doubt though that you would have many showings and would probably have trouble getting a listing agent.

The problem is with the buyers name, a seller could look their names up on the Internet and find their contact information. Imagine a buyers agent giving his/her buyers names, gives less than complementary feedback on the showing and then has the seller contacting the buyers and picking a fight. Talk about opening up some major issues.

I am not saying you would do this, however it would open up the possiblities. Unless you require the buyers names before showing the home (in writing), I would not be properly representing my buyers if I gave their names to a seller. The only time you should expect to get the name of the buyers is when they make an offer.

Jeff Launiere, ALHS, CDPE
813-469-3163
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 25, 2010
HOme
The prospective buyer is represented by a Realtor, their agent. Your are represented by an agent. The only thing the buyer agent needs to reveal is his name, not their clients. So you can ask for the AGENT's name.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 24, 2010
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Possibly another agent showed your home and your agent would not necessarily know who the buyer was with the other agent.

I have never had a seller ask for the buyers name. I am not sure why this is important to you. I do not think I would be comfortable sharing the buyers names either.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 24, 2010