Home Selling in Skokie>Question Details

Buying101, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

Hello-if I have signed a contract for the sale of my house but the buyer isn't a strong buyer can I show my home still?

Asked by Buying101, Fremont, CA Sat Jul 9, 2011

Can I still leave it on the MLS saying it's "pending but still showing?"

I agree with Alan. Realtors don't want to show properties that are contingent or pending. Your agent can continue to market on Trulia, Craigslist, etc., depending on what the contract says.

You could have made the buyer strengthen the offer by demanding more earnest money, a shorter mortgage contingency period, or requiring that the buyer get a pre-approval from a lender that you trust. Good luck.

Attorney Ranj Mohip is a Chicago real estate attorney. The information in this answer is general information and is not intended as legal advice. Further, answering this question or otherwise contributing as a member of Trulia.com does not create an attorney-client relationship. Remember--consult the best real estate attorney in Chicago or in your respective area. Contact us at http://www.ranjmohip.com for more information
Yes, you can leave it on as CTG (contingent) or PEND (pending) and still allow showings... but honestly, once a property is under-contract, regardless of the fact that you "allow" showings, your showings will slow down to a trickle, if at all.

Most agents (myself included) are hesitant to show properties to our clients (unless they insist) that they might fall in love with, and not be able to have.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 9, 2011
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Hi, This depends on the language in your listing agreement and contract. Typically in NY we show the home until the contracts are fully executed and keep any additional offers as back up.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
You can continue to show your house but you cannot accept another offer even if you think that it is a better offer except in back up position. In other words, as long as your current buyers perform under the existing contract you are bound contractually to sell to them. This can be good for you because it would put pressure on the existing buyers to honor the contract.
Hi Buying101,

Have your Realtor put it in the MLS as Backup Status, not Pending. Backup means you are still showing and accepting Backup offers. Pending means you're not showing anymore or accepting any more offers.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
This is a simple question for your Realtor:

Good luck and may God bless
The first answer is correct. While some people are hesitant to even look at a house if they are only able to write a "backup offer" others will keep an eye on the house to see if it becomes fully active in the future. A house went "pending" proior to a buyer I represented was able to write an offer. The buyer didn't want to write a backup offer, he wanted to find a house. As we continued to search we watched the status of the house. When the first agreement fell apart, we wrote an offer and we should be closing in a couple weeks. Therefore, while the showings may slow down, someone may be watching from the sidelines.