Home Selling in Southlake>Question Details

Tom Pafel, Home Owner in Southlake, TX

Hello, Our home in S.L. is 2600sf. We are thinking about converting the garage (400 sf.) to a family room b4 we put our house on the market. ???

Asked by Tom Pafel, Southlake, TX Fri Apr 12, 2013

Our home is on one acre of land and built around 1983. The kitchen, 2nd floor bath and powder room have been recently updated along with new texturing and painting through out the house. The master bedroom and master bathroom are now the last rooms to be remodeled.

Answers

13
That may not be such a good idea. Most buyers do want a garage.

Susie Kay
Realtor & Certified Home Stager
United Real Estate
469-371-2899
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net
I would not recommend converting your garage, most buyers prefer a garage; in addition your HOA and/or city may have restrictions.
I would recommend not converting your garage. Garages are important to buyers and given that your home has ample square footage there's really no need to do it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 19, 2014
I will have to put my vote in with all the others! Do not convert your garage. If you were to convert your garage you'd be fulfilling something that may have bothered you, but for a buyer of your home they would see it to be a downside of not having a garage. Better to just finish with projects you've already started and then get ready to put your home on the market!

Should you have any further questions I'd be more than happy to assist you.
I agree with those below - don't do it! Normal is King, when it comes to selling. Even if people do not park their cars in garages as often these days they still use it for storage and expect to have that option if they want.
Don't do it!!! The bedroom is worth a little extra to buyers but a garage is worth much much more than a 4 bedroom! If you would like a market analysis to see what you could likely net for your home both ways please feel free to contact me directly. Best of luck to you!

John Straub
817-729-4281
john@dfwfamilyrealty.com
I know for my buyers they want a garage. For resale value I think it's probably not your best use of money.
Happy to assist you in listing your home for sale. HOWEVER many families prefer a garage.

Contact my office today where I can further assist you with staging your home for sale

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com 100's of Dallas homes listed for sale or lease

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
Generally,in the Southlake market, our buyers want a garage. Based on the size of your lot and depending on the subdivision you live in, a future homeowner might be able to keep the garage AND add the family room. I would not spend the money to make the modification.

Debbie Dunn
Coldwell Banker
817-991-3964
Deb@DebDunn.com
HI T
Well there as many people wanting a larger family room as there are wanting a garage. I think you would just be substituting one client desire with another. 2600 sq ft is a nice size so I would vote for keeping the garage
Since you were wise enough to invest in Southlake your potential buyers may be purchasing for the appreciation value if they make major changes to your home after they buy it.
I actually won't show a home with no garage to my clients even if they ask to see one. I tell them not to think about the home they are buying only through their own eyes, but through the eyes of the buyers who will be buying from them.
If you want the best internet marketer in the area give me a call.
http://lloydmartinrealestate.com/index.php/our-listing-prese…
Lloyd Martin
817-471-0221
Converting Storage spaces to Living spaces is predicated on your motivation.
There are, always exceptions to every rule and your neighborhood and market are unique.

The 2013 typical Southlake, TX Homebuyer, is expecting to see a full size attached Garage.
Some HOA's in Southlake would not allow Conversions past their Building Committees.

Should you decide to Sell your Home, Consider consulting with your local market experts on Garage Conversions and how it may or may not affect your ability to Market your Home strategically.

I've attached a good article on Pros, Cons and Logistics of Garage Conversions.

Good Luck, Sir.
JB
Your updates are money well spent, but most buyers want a garage.

I will be happy to give you a free market analysis of your home. Please email sandyo@kw.com or call (817) 773-6022. I work for Keller Williams in Southlake.
Garage Conversions are almost always negative.
Please don't do it.