kismet356, Real Estate Pro in

Hello, I'm thinking of putting my property on the market but was wondering what is the real estate agent commission rate?

Asked by kismet356, Wed Mar 6, 2013

The property value is between $1,450,000-1,500,000. Thanks!

Answers

14
In California the commission rate is negotiable. The full service professional will give you his or her marketing strategy and show you exactly how and what they intend to do for you to justify the commission. It's important to know that good agents will spend up front money out of their pocket to make your home sell for top dollar in a short time. Some examples might be; buying news paper ads, brochures, paying for catering a lunch, sending out mailers or catering a lunch. There are a multiplicity of things an agent can and will do for you if you are willing to let him or her take the high road with a respectable commission! usually between 5% and 6% of the selling price!
Real estate agent commission rates are negotiable. Just remember that you want an agent that is knowledgeable and willing to put in the hard work. You can contact me if you need any assistance or have any other questions.
Your best bet is to interview at least 3 Professionals and have a full comparative market analysis presented to you. Ask them "what will they do for you?"

Find out if they will hire a professional Photographer, (or take the pictures themselves) will they stage the home, and help with some of the other expenses?

Hi-So, to add my thoughts, I'd say you might be thinking, "Wow, that's $75,000!"

To that I can propose two scenarios, which every experienced agent sees all the time.

In the first, a seller uses a discount agent, pays less and instead of getting the right offer as a result of thorough marketing, people skills, property presentation and market knowledge, gets an offer that takes a long time to close and is for less money than the property is worth. (If it closes at all!)

In the second, using the previously mentioned skills, the active, full-service agent get's many offers from which the seller gets to choose the strongest and make the most money.

In the first, the seller saves maybe 1% on commission and could lose who knows how much from a bad sale. Ten percent? I've seen it happen.

Find an agent you like that will give you everything you and your property deserve. That 1% is going to go a really long way.

Thanks-Matt Ciganek
http://www.SFpropertyreport.com
Assuming that the home is in San Ramon, the excellent responses below by San Francisco licensees would still apply.

Before deciding which friend or relative to use, consider “Dusting Off Aunt Rose”, which applies more to buyers than to sellers ..... but may still be useful:.
< http://leopoldrodriguez.com/129.html>

LEOPOLD A RODRIGUEZ
Real Estate Broker 00849905
Attorney at Law
400 Montgomery 505
San Francisco CA 94104
Office: 415.781.3000
http://leopoldrodriguez.com/

Commission rates are negotiable but the industry average is in the 5-6%.
I recommend that you factor in an agent's overall marketing plan and consider what services they are providing as this will determine the costs you'll paying. Remember that the fee also covers the buyers agent commission which is 2.5%
In addition you'll want to employ the best negotiator to obtain the highest price for your home and ensure a smooth transaction as there are always issues that arise during escrow. I've found that the least amount of stress I can offer my clients is priceless.

Please contact me for a complimentary consultation.

Lizete
Any comment by agents as to what "customary" or usual is against the law and can lead to federal charges being filed against the agent.
All real estate brokerage fees are negotiable.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
You can negotiate the commission in any number of ways - from what you pay the listing firm, to what you offer the eventually buying broker. What you need to do is interview at least 3 agents. Commission is just one piece of the puzzle. I'm sure you'd gladly spend $100 for a $200 service, but would never spend $100 on a $10 service. So I suggest making sure you're getting a great agent, with a great marketing plan, and excellent negotiation skills. Then discuss commission.

My partner Ciara and I are available to discuss your options if you are selling in San Francisco.
Rob Regan
Web Reference: http://blog.SFisHOME.com
As stated below, commission rate is negotiable. You should interview several agents and see what they will do, how they will market, and handle your sale from start to finish. I know a very good Coldwell Banker Broker in the City. Feel free to contact me for his information. Best of luck to you, great time to be a seller!
Greg Corvi
Commission is always negotiable, and an agent offering less for your listing may understand that less on a high dollar listing is still a lot!

If an agent says he'll do more and better marketing, get details and proof of it after you've listed.
While the commission rate is certainly negotiable, the most important thing is to hire Full-Time experienced Realtors who will devote their considerable resources toward obtaining the very best price possible for you (in the least amount of time). Please contact me if you would like to make an appointment today to discuss selling strategy and the listing of your home. Your goal and our goal is to maximize your return on your investment. Thank You!

James Pierce, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
jim.pierce@cbnorcal.com

http://www.jamespiercehomes.com

That can all be negotiate. Will the property be vacant? If it is, I offer complimentary staging. Please email or call me for more details. Talk to you soon!

​Best Regards,

Tony Ngo, CDPE
DRE #0183629
Sequoia Real Estate
Office: 415.702.9184 | Mobile: 415.317.5525
http://www.sequoia-realestate.com/tony/
“Taking Real Estate to Another Level.”
As pointed out below, commission rates are negotiable, however most companies have normal fees they charge and usually any departure from that needs to be approved by the managing broker.

These days most companies charge 5% and split the fee with the buyer agent, so on a home like yours it would cost about $70 - $75K. Some companies (like ours) charge less and provide full service, while other discount firms charge less but offer less services. Given the value of your home, in my opinion the quality of the agent/broker and the marketing campaign should be the most important thing.

There are many aspects that make up a great agent/broker, and you should choose carefully, even in a great market.

If you would like to know more about are great program for sellers and team approach to real estate my contact info is below:

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Hi Kismet356,

Commission rate is negotiable. That being said, do not think that the cheapest Agent is necessarily the best Agent for you. Always remember you get what you pay for. Good luck to you!

Warmest Regards,

Matt
http://www.matthewbartlettrealestate.com