Jeff, Real Estate Pro in Livonia, MI

Have you ever found a dead cat or dog in a foreclosed home?

Asked by Jeff, Livonia, MI Sun Mar 15, 2009

I talked to a realtor today who once showed a foreclosed home to a potential investor, and they came across a dead dog in the middle of the floor. What would you do if that happened to you?

Answers

16
I came across a foreclosed home that looked like it was used for med evil torture. Needless to say my clients were not interested.
You wouldn't know it until you got in the house. What would you do?
I have found dead animals in foreclosed homes. It's sad when they are left behind.
Never have - but I've been in foreclosed homes that smelled worse than a dead dog. Your agent should have alerted the listing agent to have it removed.
Question? Did the investor buy the home?
Gosh. That would be devastating. I would definitely make an immediate call to the listing agent.
I did show a foreclosure once in a wooded area that had a large family of frogs living in the basement. That was comical. They were jumping everywhere. I assume they made their way in somehow from the outdoors...probably not pets left behind. My buyer did not pursue the purchase of that particular home. :)
I could see this happening. It shouldn't happen, but it does. Not all people think of their pets as members of the family and leave them behind.
Wow I can't believe how many have found dead things in these homes. I have shown a lot of foreclosures but have not seen this yet (could've fooled us by the smell though).
I found a dead squirrel in a vacant home. It was not foreclosed. I called the listing agent right away.
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
Hi Jeff,

I hope not, and carry plastic bags with you in case this happens, oh my. I would exit and call the listing agent as I do when there is so much mold you can't breath. Some of these properties should not be available to the public, they are hazards
I've seen dead birds and mice. Never a cat or dog. Not sure...
Only a dead cat or dog!!....some of these houses are left in such a state, all you can do is shake your head.......and offer low ;)

Cheers,
Chris
We showed a bank property with dead birds in an upstairs bedroom, this home needed to be torn down. Some of these forclosures need to have more visits by the listing agents.

Tibbles Team, Tom & Rose (734) 812-6745
Jeff,

What a morbid question! But to answer, I did, and it was pretty vile. We fled the property and the odor immediately and called the listing agent to allow her to have the body removed.

Had my buyer's not been so sensitive I would have grabbed a plastic bag from the car (I always carry a few with me) and removed the body to the outside, at least.
Same thing I would do if I found one in any other home I was showing. Tell the listing agent.
Jeff,

Most banks hire companies to clean out foreclosures before showing so this should not have happened. There was a segment on Fox2 news where a Realtor(R) found 2-3 dogs almost dead in a home. Humane Society (I believe) was able to save them.

Anything like this would have to be reported and of course properly removed.
Web Reference: http://mi-living.com
Either bury the dog, or contact city for removal. Sad ;( innocent victim
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com