Matthew Marv…, Home Seller in Palmetto Bay, FL

Have 4/2 no garage, hm=2688sf,15Klot,very nice. should be build a 2car garage? home on mkt 18 mo $530

Asked by Matthew Marvel, Palmetto Bay, FL Fri May 23, 2008

Everyone looking for 2 car garage. Want to sell. Price to high? Would we make more money adding a two car garage? Orig home was 3/2/2-converted garage to large bedroom and inside laundry room. We have lots of storage including orig 11x13.5 garage plus shed plus large attic. MLS R2916992

Answers

8
Matthew: I took a look at your listing on the MLS. The house certainly has curb appeal and the landscaping around the pool is super! Certainly nothing to do there!

Here's my 2 cents worth. A garage certainly is desirable but I wouldn't do anything about that right now. What I would do is spend some money on your kitchen, the appliances, new faucet, sink and countertop! Your cabinets look good but the rest is blah. Your home needs some staging and better photos on the MLS... well, more interior pictures. Go to somewhere like Kirklands and add some pictures, lamps etc. See if you can pick up a nice comforter or duvet set... watch a few of the home makeover shows on the Homes & Gardens network... Your interior looks a little dated and "country" - a coordinated updated look will make all the difference to your home, I think. It just needs to be staged a little more. I would also offer to convert the garage back if the buyer prefers - give them that option.

It seems as though you're using a MLS only Realtor. At this point, it seems as though you need some extra marketing which you'd be able to talk to a full service Realtor about. Remember, you only pay your Realtor once the property has sold. You need to push this property - don't forget Craigs List too!

I definitely think you at least need to upgrade the kitchen... you didn't include pictures of the bathrooms or other rooms - do they need upgrading too? You have to be as competitive as you possibly can. Check that your pricing is right - perhaps have the home appraised and inspected - another selling tool. Just some ideas.

I hope this helps... it's a very tough time to be a seller, hang in there!!!

Angela
Web Reference: http://www.villagrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 23, 2008
What a pickle, Mathew. Today, as unfortunate as it may sound, we're in a Price and Beauty Countest type market.

Here's a cheap suggestion. Watch all the HGTV or A&E programming you can that deals with homes. You will notice that to sell, there are a number of things you must do. If you have anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a couple or few thousands to spruce up the house...by all means, do it. However, I don't believe that, in your situation, you should invest as much as adding more space for a double-car guarage.

How about this instead? If you must, how much money and/or trouble would it be to re-convert the bedroom back into a 2-car garage? If feasable, this may be cheaper. But then of course, it's the issue with competing with other 4/2s as a 3/2.

Consult with a decorator or staging professional who can guide you. I work with some and could provide you their contact information. Alternatively, consider every maintenance repair you could afford, including paint (use only neutral colors). This is possibly the best result-yielding thing you could do.

If you've been on the market that long, take this advice seriously. Contact your Realtor or drive by the neighborhood and enter every FSBO and Realtor Open House you can. Then, approach your home by car or on foot and see how it compares to others on your street/area. LOOK AT YOUR HOME WITH BUYER'S EYES.

To sell a property, you must act like a buyer. It is typically never what you want to see or hear, but buyers will give you the feedback you need as to why your home is not selling. In the end, if it has been in the market this long, it is most probably time for a price reduction (even a hefty one perhaps).

When you sell, you mus see your property as though you were looking to buy it. Would you? If you were a buyer, looking around that area for a place to call home, would you buy that house? Compared to others of similar size and in a similar price range, how does your house compare?

Notice I'm calling it your "house" NOT your "home". Detach yourself by no longer calling it the sale of your home, but the sale of the house. You are looking to sell a house to someone who wants to make the place their home and register memories of their own there. In turn, you will be looking for your next home.

Once sold, this house ceases to be your home. Therefore, project that forward and take the necessary steps to do so.

Wenceslao Fernandez Jr, BS, CDPE
Hi Matthew. I really don't think you should build a two car garage. Since there are so many properties for sale in your 33158 zip code and pretty much most places in South Florida, price usually is the most important thing for the majority of buyers. Most people could live without a two car garage if the price is right. But most people that want a two car garage home wouldn't be willing to get the home if the price isn't right. Instead of spending money on improving a home that you don't want to live in any more, it makes more sense to lower the price. If your home has been on the market for 18 months, the price is way too high! You need to lower the price a lot so that you can get it sold. If you don't, you will lose more and more money each month because we are in a depreciating real estate market. The majority of buyers in our market will buy any home, if the price is right!
Web Reference: http://www.AmitsBlog.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 14, 2008
Dear Matthew,

Hi! I looked at your home on multiple listings and I basically saw the outside and a nice pool area. Your kitchen is missing granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. I have no idea what your bathrooms looks like. Also, how did you decided upon your price? Buyers are very picky and they can be with so many homes on the market. There are many homes in Miami without a garage, and if the buyer likes the home, they will add it on themselves. Sincerely, Susan Penn penn.s@ewm.com 954-557-5993.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 3, 2008
Matthew,
Palmetto Bay is basically a Family neighborhood with all great schools, homes with garden and pool etc.
Families usually have 2 cars (mom & dad) and in Florida we need a room to hide them from bad weather.
I would say is not a plus, but a necessity. But that is no all.
Pictures can be deceiving, but I noticed that the house is not updated (kitchen, window frames, etc.) and maybe the bathrooms - those are major turn-offs.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 23, 2008
having a Two Car Garage would certainly be beneficial, it is typical for the area. Most buyers expect to have one.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 23, 2008
If it is common for houses similar to yours to have a 2 car garage, and you don't have a garage at all - and people are saying that's a problem... then yea, that might be what's holding you back from selling.

Is your home priced comparibly to homes that do have garages? That may be part of the problem as well. You could either compensate by lowering your price to make up for the lack of garage, or build one. Depending on building costs - building one may make more sense.

There's some numbers to be crunched there to figure out if it makes sense or not. Talk to your realtor - figure out what it would cost you to build, figure out if it makes sense financially.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 23, 2008

Please call me at (305) 495-2790 or email me at Lenny@SellOrBuyMiamiHomes.com