iSell, Home Seller in Tenafly, NJ

Has it been very quiet lately?

Asked by iSell, Tenafly, NJ Tue Jul 10, 2012

Is there a slow period lately in people looking for homes (possibly due to the midweek July 4th holiday) - or another reason? Seems very slow...

Answers

14
Hello:

In answer to your question, not necessarily as there are plenty of Buyers out there and Sellers who are putting homes on the market regularly. The activity level has been quite good this month. Many Buyers have gotten more serious about getting out into the market and attempting to buy. Interest rates also remain favorable.

If you have any other questions, or if you are thinking of Buying or Selling a home, I would be happy to help you. I am a very experienced local real estate agent and work with properties anywhere.

Please contact me at any time. Thanks.

Harriet Lewis-Trulia Top Recommended Agent-(201)467-5738 and
(201)707-5640(Cell)
hrlconsult@yahoo.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 13, 2012
I have to agree with the prior poster - I have been so busy with both buyers and renters. But markets are very local in nature and so your experience may be different.

I would recommend you take a careful look at your pricing - if you need an adjustment, best to do so quickly. The market generally does slow down as the summer rolls along...but so far, that has not happened for me.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 11, 2012
The truth is that any holiday period has an effect on the real estate market along with other things. If you drove downtown in Tenafly over the past week, you saw plenty of cars in the business district during the first half of last week and fewer cars after the 4th of July. However, we actually had great attendance at our open houses. So while it sure looked like a lot of folks left town during the latter part of the week, buyers were most definitely out there over the weekend.

If a buyer wants to purchase a home in time to get their children registered for the start of the Tenafly school year, they only have a few weeks left to find a home. This is a good reason why we were so busy at our open houses and we had many appointments over the weekend. So while there was a bit of a slowdown as people enjoyed the holiday, serious home buyers were busy looking and making offers over the weekend. If your experience is that the market is very slow, you need to revisit how your home is being marketed.

Normally it's really quiet during the last 2 weeks of August Frankly, that's one of the best times of year to go into NYC. Tons of parking, crowds on a Saturday night aren't as ferocious and you don't have to wait for a table if you forgot to make reservations.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
Nilzam,

I would not just the entire market by one week. Tenalfy is a very HOT town with buyers looking all the time. Try to keep in mind that the internet is open 365/24/7 and there are buyers all over the world that could be looking at any given time.

A buddy of mine from high school is in Germany. I sent him a Thanksgiving Day wish last November. He reminded me that Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Germany, but he because he was on the internet, it reminded me of how global our marketplace is.

It sounds to me as though you've already listed your home for sale. If not and you'd like me to discuss how my company and I might help you, please contact me at 201.394.9720 or at Jay@JayShapiroRealtor.com.

Best wishes,

Jay
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
Dear Nilzam,
You're welcome; you've made the right decision: its a good time to be in the market.
Best wishes,
Jay
Flag Wed Jul 11, 2012
Thanks Jay, yes the home is listed- but only since just before the July 4th time period. Thanks for your response- much appreciated!
Flag Tue Jul 10, 2012
The midweek 4th of July was a little quirky. Many folks taking vacations at that time picked the first part of the the week to mid week, others were middle of the week to the following weekend, while others threw in the towel and snatched up the entire week. In tourist destinations the entire week was mass pandemonium. So, in reference to your question, I believe folks were taking a longer vacation than usual to grab that mid week holiday celebration.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
I think spring is the hottest season for real estate. But since its July 4th sales lag behind as people go away on vacation and start to think about the new school year. If you failed to sell in the peak season, consider listing your house in winter. Talk to your local real estate agent as they are best to tell you what the local housing market is like.
In my experience, traditionally, the market can slow up a bit from July 4th through Labor day.
Many motivated buyers were out there looking in the Spring, especially those who wanted to be settled in for school in Sept. By now, many of them have bought....and current lookers/ buyers might get a bit "relaxed" on those warm, sunny summer afternoons and want to visit the shore instead of viewing homes.

Now, this doesn't mean there aren't buyers out there, becasue there are..... each area's activity can vary, so don't give up hope quite yet!

However.............you really need to make sure you're priced right on the mark now, as the buyers will stand back and wait for that "signal" from the sellers that they are serious about selling.
The "signal" is a home that is priced at, or slightly below, market value and the competition.

Best wishes!
Before you give up, PLEASE make sure your home is priced right and clean and presentable.
Proper and thorough advertising is also crucial!!! Make sure your current Realtor if you are using one, is doing their job efficiently with selling your home. I feel there's a unique buyer for every home out there REGARDLESS of price range and location.
Again, best of luck with your endeavours!

Laquita Baez
Licensed Realtor in NJ and GA
It's been super quiet. RE Broker says houses in higher price range do not get many showings. I am just afraid I am going to miss the season.
All I can tell you is that it all depends on the marketing. I have always believed this to be true and my experience confirms this.

Like any other product you're selling - you must capture the right customers who are motivated to want what you're selling and are ready, willing and able to take action.

With a home, you must make sure the buyers for whom the house has the greatest emotional appeal are engaged so they get excited about seeing the house, go to see it and make an offer. Here's another aspect to it all - you must also successfully engage the sales force. Although over 90% of all buyers shop for a home on the internet, it is still true that you need the support of the agent community so they show it and recommend it.

It doesn't matter how many fancy signs, slick brochures etc. you have - if you are not bringing in the right customers, you won't meet with success. It is all about the marketing.
Flag Sat Jul 14, 2012
Hi Nilzam

On the contrary! Sales are booming, and not enough good inventory in Bergen County, especially North Eastern Bergen County and Tenafly. Great school towns and close to NY is what buyers are looking for. Right now Interest rates are at a history low...UNDER 4%!
I have over 15 of my own listings under contract, and have been up against bidding wars on mulitiple occassions.
Check out my web site.. http://.www.PaulaClarkRealtor.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http:// http://.www.PaulaClarkRealtor.com
In our market area, South Monmouth County, it is normal for it to be slow during the 4th of July holiday week. And, with the way it was this year, on a Wednesday, it was bad the weekend before and after. Lots of rental calls, though!
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
It all depends on the area really. Some areas may be seeing little activity while other areas
are busy! And its probably not all due to the 4th of July week...
Not here in Union County! We've got a quick turnover of inventory and lots of very motivated buyers and sellers!
Hi Nilzam

Check out my web site.. http://.www.PaulaClarkRealtor.com
I was referring to the past two weeks- not in general.
Flag Tue Jul 10, 2012