Carol Worster, Both Buyer and Seller in 60201

Has anyone had any experience with selling a residential property that is next door to an animal shelter?

Asked by Carol Worster, 60201 Tue Jan 14, 2014

A private animal rescue organization is applying to build a cat shelter for 200 cats across the street from my condo building, and I am worried about the impact on property values.

Answers

13
Never had that issue, I've know of one similar case in Rogers Park but they were way below 200 cats. Good luck!
I have not, but one thing I can tell you, you will always have furry friend close by.
Hi Carol,

Can't say that I've ever come across that. You say it's a private shelter, I guess verify that it is a legitimate establishment and work with the owner to ensure they do not violate any health codes and keep it clean....

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 14, 2014
I have not had experience with this either. However, as long as they keep the property up and looking nice, I would expect it to be fine. Many people may appreciate having somewhere they can volunteer so close to where they live. I also think that it's great that the animals are cats rather than dogs; it will probably be much quieter.
Hi Carol,

I have not. Therefore, I unsure of the type of impact it would have on property values.
As much as I love dogs, the main issue people would generally have with an animal shelter would be noise followed by risk, so outside of a dog or domesticated lion shelter, a cat shelter seems fairly benign, provided the exterior is feline pee proofed.

Plus, think of the niche market of cat owners who will be attracted to your home. Might even be worth putting 'CRAZY CAT LADIES WELCOME" on your sales flyers!
What else is in your neighborhood? Are there other commercial units?
I don't know how that would lower the value of your property. If we were talking about a liquor store or a industrial park, then I could see the issue. Especially if you are in Chicago, being close to shopping and care could actually increase your value. If you are minutes from a major highway, add on the dollars. Where is tis located?
Not a shelter but had a boarding Kennel next door. You need to hope for a real animal lover or a deaf buyer.
I do not think you will have problems selling because of this.

Mike
HI Carol,

Every house has a buyer! Good Luck!
Wow how cool its that ! i bet that the property is going up !
Cats will be no problem.
However, you really, reallly, REALLY need to know what would be required for the cat shelter to expand the services they provide. That is where your problem will originate.
Yes, I agree. I think that if there are 200 DOGS, that would turn people away because of noise, etc. Great thought, Annette.
Flag Mon Oct 27, 2014