Home Selling in Jackson>Question Details

Wmunoz2434, Home Buyer in Bergenfield, NJ

Half bath to full bath

Asked by Wmunoz2434, Bergenfield, NJ Mon Oct 21, 2013

Asked question already but let me explain it better ... Have 4 bedroom cape home ... 2 rooms upstairs and 2 rooms downstairs .... Have 1-1/2 baths .... Full bath down stairs 1/2 bath upstairs . Because the master bedroom is upstairs or the biggest room that's why I call it the master ... If I change the half bath upstairs to a full bath will it increase the value if my home .... Right now it was appraised for 205,000 as is home needs work and I am in the presses of doing so ...... Looking to get more as comparable houses were selling at 215,000 or more . Thanks to the ones that did answer before very help ..... Trying to sell the house after repairs ASAP .

Answers

4

I was just reading your other replies on the last question. There was absolutely nothing you said wrong. I don't know why anyone was confused. I knew exactly what you were saying the whole time.

What I want to explain is that selling a home has many different aspects that are important. Value of course being very important to you, but so should the # of days on market that it will take to sell as that too will ultimately impact the value. You see, the longer a home sits on the market the more a buyer thinks something is "wrong" with it and then they shy away.

Cape cods are a very unique style of home. Some people love them and some people not so much. I have been an award winning real estate broker in Jackson for the past 10 years and can provide you with a ton of insight on this and other things as well.

In addition to being a seller's agent I am also an Accredited Buyer Representative with the National Association of Realtors. Why that matters to you is because I will help put you in the shoes of your potential buyers and see your home through their eyes. That's how you can improve its value.

The quick answer I have for you is "yes" I think you should convert the bath but only if it's done RIGHT! I see many homeowners set out trying to improve their homes only to find out they did more harm then good because now something about it is "weird".

It sounds to me as though you have already interviewed an agent to help determine your value of $205,000. I just want to suggest that you interview more. None of us are the same and you need to find the one that will work best for you.

Please feel free to check out my website below and see what other past clients have to say about me and my services. If you're interested in meeting my contact information is all right there.

Good luck to you! :)
Web Reference: http://www.DianaBrunner.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 21, 2013
On May 2 , 2014 this seller and I closed on his home! He followed my advice and changed the half bath to a full bath. His home was in a multiple offer situation and I was able to negotiate the final bid well above asking price. IF THESE ARE THE KIND OF RESULTS YOU SEEK, CALL ME TODAY!
Flag Sun May 4, 2014
great answer all the way around.... just to add to that. Many buyers won't even look at a home with only one or one and a half baths unless that's all they can afford. That limits your potential buyer pool and subsequently that limits your chances of getting the best possible price. Adding a 2nd full bath on a cape cod is the easiest improvement to do. Get estimates from reputable contractors and make sure 1) they take permits out and follow through for final sign off by township plumbing inspector. 2) don't overdo it price wise....many home remodelers/renovators know the secret of a fix to sell renovation (inexpensive yet new looking fixtures will do the trick)....If the rest of the home "shines/sizzles" and you don't go crazy on the bathroom renovation cost you'll have good chance at recouping the investment cost. Leaving estimates for buyers to decide on or visualize on them won't be nearly as effective as listing your home as a legitimate 2 full bath home. No doubt in my mind :)
Flag Sun Nov 3, 2013
I live in Jackson also, and I can tell you that most homes here with at least 2 full baths do sell faster. Since you already have a half bath up there , it shouldn't be that great an expense and you should be able to reap the rewards of a higher selling price than a home with just 1.5 baths. When you are finished with your improvements please feel free to contact me. I would welcome the opportunity to see your home and discuss my sales strategy to assure you sell it at the highest price in today's market.

Joan Congilose
Broker/ Sales Associate
RE/MAX Central
Cell (732) 232-5277
Hi

I can help you find a local agent in Jackson that can tell you the value with or without the bath. If you are renovating the whole house then the 2nd full bath will definitely add value but it depends house much you spend on it if it will make up for the cost of it.
Quick answer for you, when I answered earlier I just wanted to make sure to know exactly how many baths you had and where all the bathrooms were. For a 4 bedroom home, I do think that it should have two full bathrooms, But make sure that it can be done nicely and that it will not cost you too much, get several estimates. Although you may not get that much more money for your home, but you will be able
to compete better with other homes, and hopefully also sell it faster...

What you also can do is put your home on the market and have the estimates and the plan for the bathroom expansion handy so that new owners know that they could expand the powder room to a full bath, and then they could do it their way??? Discuss it with a local Realtor.

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties Brokerage, 30 Green Bay Road, Winnetka, Illinois 60093
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)