moziview, Home Seller in Fairfax, VA

Getting ready to sell our townhome near the Vienna metro.

Asked by moziview, Fairfax, VA Tue Apr 2, 2013

We have a four bedroom townhome that was built in 1996. It is in Fairfax but within a mile of the Vienna metro. It is not a luxury townhome but is still spacious. I bought it from a builder so didn't have to deal with a broker. I've interviewed three brokers but none of them will tell me their fees (I think they want to see if I will pick them first). What are standard broker's fees in our area?

Answers

19
If your looking for answers to any questions, I am here to answer any you may have about residential sales or purchasing in 2015.

Scott Polly, Realtor
scott.polly43@gmail.com
scottpolly.kwrealty.com

Thank you!
It is typically 3% for a buyers agent, and another 3% for the listing agent. I would like to discuss selling your property for you. I am with Keller Williams Realty in Vienna, VA.

Scott Polly
scott.polly43@gmail.com
scottpollyrealestate.com
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Perhaps I can help someone else out who reads this post. I am a Loan Officer for a local lender, which has allowed me the opportunity to personally get to know dozens of Realtors in Northern Virginia and DC. After a while, you get to know which ones are on top of their game and genuinely care about their clients. Choosing the right Realtor is extremely important. I would be happy to share a couple of names for you to consider.

Very Best,

Zac Dennehy, NMLS #1045494
Senior Loan Officer
MVB Mortgage, NMLS #181319
11325 Random Hills Rd, Suite 100
Fairfax, VA 22030
The typical rate for a good broker is 5-6%. This total is divided between the selling and buying agents. I too would be hesitant about the agent not willing to tell you their rates. Ask them what their marketing plan is? Where are they advertising your home? Are they having the house professionally photographed? What periodicals and databases are they getting your home listed in? How often do they do open houses? Often times you will get what you pay for, so ask the tough questions and demand answers. Best of luck and feel free to contact me at 703-623-8050 if I can be of service.
Please let us know if we can come see your unit and then talk about fees based on what we think it needs for marketing! We have no problem talking about that with you. Please also feel free to check out our website http://www.yourzareskiteam,com. Stay warm.

Sharon Zareski
Re/Max Choice
7035687868
Hi Moziview. I am looking to buy a house in 22031. Would you tell me the address/price via my email nguyenquang_99@yahoo.com

I think we can get a closing agent to sort this out without paying a 5% commission ...
Thank you everyone for responding. Yes, I did actually interview them, had them walk through my home and give me a number we should start at. Some were conservative, some were aggressive but all above the price point we were thinking of so that was good. I will be contacting some of you for further interviews as we get closer to when we want to put it on the market (by June 1 - we have some renovations we need to do).

However, as most of you are out in the field every day, is this market going to continue to heat up do you think or is it a bubble again with a shorter life?
All good advice here. The fees are definitely negotiable, so my one takeaway from this entire discussion would be this: interview the actual agents who would be prospectively listing and marketing your home. Ask for specifics on marketing campaign - how many websites will my home appear on? What sort of direct mail will you include and do you have samples? ( Just Listed cards, Open House notifications, and marketing flyers that will be placed in the home). Don't get me wrong - having and experienced and reputable broker is important, but it is the actual agent that you will be relying upon to market the home - all those funds come out of their pocket. And you will be in direct contact with them on a daily basis so make sure you feel comfortable with them.

Good luck with marketing your home - feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Stewart Gardner
571.205.8563
Did you actually interview agents or did you just call the brokerage and ask your question of whomever answered the phone? If an agent visited your home for a listing appointment and didn't answer that question, they should be eliminated from consideration. But simply calling a real estate office and asking what their commission is probably won't work. Every home is unique as is each seller's situation. It's far better to sit down with an agent and discuss their marketing plan and how they can help you sell your home. You might find that you don't need a full-service listing (if you plan to do most of the marketing yourself) or you might decide you want the agent to use all the marketing bells and whistles.

I know of quite a few agents that offer a tiered commission structure depending how much assistance you need. You won't get that information by simply calling the real estate office.

Hope this helps!
Not sure why you never got to the point of discussing the fees with the Realtors that came to your home,
There is though no standard fee, each brokerage office sets their own standards for their region and agents, and those depend and vary based on the type of property, the advertising and marketing that will be required etc. etc., so the services each particular Realtor will provide, items they will suggest
is somewhat related to their fee (commission)....
You should call them back or call back the one you liked best, or whose marketing and advertising and
thoughts about the preparation for sale and the pricing you liked best or consider the most honest and straight forward supported by actually market data. And discuss the commission, and I sure each
individual Realtor will be pretty firm about what their commission is going to be for you.

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties ---- EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY
That's very unusual. In fact, highly unusual. Especially in today's market--which is very active in Northern Virginia. I'm with the largest company in Northern Virginia and everyone there I know is more than willing to discuss their fees and commissions. See http://www.WeSellFairfaxHouses.com

As noted, commissions are negotiable--though the numbers others have provided are fairly typical.

It's up to you--and I know you've already done the "right" thing and interviewed multiple agents--but you might want consider interviewing a few more...ones who will be up-front about all aspects of the transaction.

And again: Northern Virginia (especially around Falls Church and Vienna) is very active.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Dear Seller,

I would suggest that you interview another broker or two. There are many to choose from and you don't want to just settle on one, you want to find the right one for you and your goals. I would love to meet with you and discuss my selling strategies that will get your home sold for a good price quickly. I will also be happy to discuss all brokerage fees with you at that time. Please call me at 703-307-3449 to get started.

John Ginty
Keller Williams Capital Properties Fairfax
10300 Eaton Pl, Suite 120
Fairfax, VA 22030
JohnGinty@kw.com
http://www.JohnGintySells.com
Dear Seller in Vienna:

When it comes to selling your house commission is not the only thing you need to consider. Many factors come together for a successful sale. That's very unusual that brokers you interviewed didn't disclose their fees (have you asked them? and why they didn't mention).
I would suggest that you sit with someone who knows the market and can show you the comps and suggest number for days your house will be under contract. My success rate is; under contract in 30 days when the market was slow. In this spring I can have it under contract in a week. I can show you my market packet and listing information which shows the proven track.
And yes!! Commissions are always negotiable but as they say: you get what you've paid for!! I would rather have an expert charge me a fair commission and have the house SOLD in a timely manner than someone who promise to charge little and then have the house sit on the market and depreciate in value.
Example:
House listed $650,000 - under contract in 7-10 days may sell at list price or more.
House listed $650,000 - sits on the market for 3 weeks or more (buyers start to negotiate = less than list price).
I would highly recommend to call in a few more agents who can present the whole scenario and give you an expert advice. Hope this information is helpful to you and if you choose to interview more Realtors please give me the opportunity to be one of them.

Thank you and Good luck!!

Faiza Alvi - Realtor®
Prince William Realty, Inc.
703-389-7973 (Direct)
703-580-9995 (Fax)
http://www.house2homeva.com
MILLION DOLLAR CLUB - PWAR 2011

I believe:
Real Estate is about building relationships
& serving clients with honesty, integrity & passion.
I'm surprised to hear that tactic. We post our commission structure on our website. I guess some brokers do not post their fees so they can negotiate their fees up or down depending on the property.
http://www.virginiamls.com/pleasantforest/index.htm
Web Reference: http://www.virginiamls.com
We charge 4 % with 100% success ration and if property is not sold in 80 days .We will sell it for free listing commission .Email me details at forsalebyraj@yahoo.com.Recently sold one single family in Vienna for $1000000 dollar list price and sold more than list price .
Most brokers charge between 5-6%. I am surprised none of the brokers you spoke with discussed this with you. You want a agent who represents you and your interests and freely discusses costs and fees associated with the sale of your home. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Our brokerage is very competitive and can offer you a reasonable rate. Please call me at 703-625-6731 if you would like to discuss.
There are no standard fees but most brokers charge between 5.5-6%. I am a VA native and would be willing to list and market your home for 5%. My company has the #1 website in the area that will ensure you maximum exposure. Check us out for yourself: http://www.justnewlistings.com
that seems unusual. I always provide a seller net out sheet during my presentation which details all the fees that are associated with selling your home.I would be happy to discuss this in person. Please give me a call.