Gables 90, Both Buyer and Seller in Miami, FL

Garage Conversion

Asked by Gables 90, Miami, FL Thu Oct 11, 2012

I live in a 4-3 in coral gables. I would like to make the garage into master suite and add a car port (because city requires) How will this impact my resale? Is this looked as a posative or negative? we would do it legally so it would increase our Sq footage at time of resale

Answers

6
Lila Lopez’s answer
Good Afternoon Gables 90,

I think the consensus here should give you a good idea of some of the things you will wish to consider. What may be an asset to one buyer may be a negative to another. What you may wish to do is meet with a few local Realtors that can come and see your home first hand, when you are ready, and they can guide you through the items you may wish to address to prepare the home for sale. When it comes to pricing there are many different factors to consider, such as what homes similar to yours have sold for, the condition of those homes compared to yours, and several other considerations. Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions regarding the possible sale of your home. I could send you some free preliminary market data to provide you with a starting point for your review.

Lila V. Lopez
RE/MAX Advance Realty
E-Pro, CDPE
homesbylila@gmail.com
305-772-2521
Did you end up converting the garage? I would not recommend getting rid of your garage since most folks purchasing demand a garage especially for storage. Most of my buyers are from other locations and have basements so really need the garage for an extra area.
I like your idea of compromise.. While you are adding the car port, I would suggest you consider enclosing that in the future as most buyers really treasure the idea of great square footage PLUS a garage...

All the best to you! I would love to see pictures with the end result!

Naomi Preston
http://www.waterfrontinmiami.com

Additional square footage is always a plus but when done correctly. I have been in so many garage conversions in Coconut Grove and Coral Gables and the opinion on the buyers side has been mixed, the ones that they liked were the one's were you could not tell at all it was a conversion. If you are going to get it done make sure the person you hire understands that is should be seamless and show as if it was meant to be there and part of the home, if not then don't bother.

I would recommend you spend the money on Kitchen and baths if they need renovating, there are other things you can do to the home that will for sure add value. I would recommend you interview a couple of agents to get a price valuation and they can also give you advise as to changes you can make to make the property ready to sell at the best price possible. That is of course if you are looking to put the house on the market for sale.

In the past couple of months we have seen an increase in buyer demands for homes in both Coral Gables and Coconut Grove it seems like anything that goes on the market priced right and that shows well sells immediately.

I specialize in both these areas and will be more than happy to stop by and give you my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Nayla Benitez, PA
EWM Realtors, Inc.
786 853 2333.
If you are planning on staying in the property and not reselling it I would say do it. But if you are reselling the property I would advise agains it. People like having garages as well as a car port. Perspective buyers may frown upon it and some may like it. As a South Florida realtor I would advise let the next buyer make the changes to the property. If you are looking to resell soon you can contact me and we can speak in detail.

Tamika Moses
Keller Williams Realty Partners SW
954-404-4646
tmrealtor@yahoo.com
http://flapropertiesbytmoses.kwrealty.com/
It would depend upon the BUYER:
Some people hate Garage Conversions, (I, being one of them).
Your prospective Buyers may like the Master Suite and love the Conversion.
Some will not.
If you are doing this for YOURSELF, and plan to stay there a while; go for it!
If you are doing this for RESALE; I would not advise it.