Geoscout, Home Seller in 85635

Garage Conversion

Asked by Geoscout, 85635 Mon Jul 19, 2010

I am considering a garage conversion. This would add approximately 520 SQFT to my existing home which is now about 1600. This conversion will be done by a professional contractor and all required permits will be obtained from the city. I also have at this time an existing detached garage that is 2 and a half car, full electric and heated/cooled, so the home would still have a garage on the property. The garage conversion would add living space we intend to use for a family room. Flow through the house would be very good, and when inside I doubt you would notice you would be passing into what used to be a garage.
I am not concerned with return on investment; I just don’t want to negatively impact my property value. I was thinking that since there will still be a large garage this wouldn’t be the case, but would solicit more knowledgeable and experienced advise.

Thank You!
L

Answers

3
your garage conversion sounds like a great idea! Because you have an additonal garage you will add space, and not take away a feature. You have the right idea that improvements you make are for you & your family, if you can recoup the money and add value to the house it will also help with resale and add value to your home. it sound like you did some good planning.
Good morning,
Your garage conversion sounds fine though I am curious about the most important detail. Will this new room have heating and cooling? That is the key for value and for being able to get the home appraised for financing should you choose to sell it. Your buyers will want to be assured that all the square footage can be appraised as sq ft living space.
Enjoy your new room!
MaryAnn Ead
Broker/Owner
South East Arizona Real Estate
520-364-3676
Geoscout,
Normally, I would not recommend a garage conversion, since appraisers usually consider it as a change that devalues a property. However, the reason appraisers view a garage conversion that way is because, in most cases, the conversion sacrifices the garage for living space. Since a large portion of the buying public expects a house to have a garage, the appraiser sees it that way too.

Your conversion could be the exception to the rule, though. You already have a detached garage, so you will still have a house with a garage. And, you've said that the "flow", or traffic movement, throughout the house will not be negatively impacted by the conversion. Also, your conversion project will be handled by a professional contractor. These are all good things.

I do have a few concerns though. First, garage conversions can sometimes look "odd" from the street. Ideally, you don't want the conversion to spoil the curb appeal of the house. Talk with your contractor about this beforehand, and perhaps hire an architect.

My other concern involves the square footage. Going from 1600 to over 2100 square feet of living area is a big change. The living area is the heated and cooled space in the home. How will your new living area compare with that of neighboring homes? Ideally, you want to stay within the typical range for the neighborhood, so that you don't "overimprove" the home. Overimprovement can affect your home's value when you sell, as the lower values of the smaller surrounding homes may drag your home's value down somewhat.

If you can overcome or minimize the negatives, I'd say go for it. And, on the plus side, you'll have a new family room to enjoy.

Warm regards,
Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
(386) 314-1149
Watson Realty Corp.