Home Selling in Raleigh>Question Details

Trulia Ralei…, Other/Just Looking in Raleigh, NC

For return on investment, where should remodeling dollars be spent?

Asked by Trulia Raleigh, Raleigh, NC Mon Apr 8, 2013

Answers

11
Sometimes it helps to make sure the simple things are renovated first. Have you removed any popcorn ceilings? Is your stained woodwork painted white? Have you replaced the "Hollywood" light bulbs in the bathrooms? Are your carpets new and your interior walls newly painted? If all of these are done, then start with the kitchen, and do as much as your budget allows. Cabinet doors, countertops and appliances would be the place to start. Hope this helps.
Nowadays more buyers are looking for open floor plans in the main living areas where families and friends can have conversations while preparing lunch or dinner. Lighting is also very important , especially if you have lots of natural light coming in thru fabulous large windows and of course all women will want an updated kitchen. It's hit or miss on the bathrooms. Some clients have wanted large baths with tubs, others haven't cared about having tubs because they only take showers etc. Extra bedrooms are always a plus, since families are starting to grow with elderly parents and college students moving back home.
Since you are asking in term of investment then anything that gives you more sqft would be #1: finishing bonus room, adding sunroom, etc. Then look into upgrading the spaces that make your home sellable: kitchen and bathrooms. Best way to see how you are doing already is to compare to the homes in your neighborhood and see what features are prevalent, then do a little more and better!
The highest return we have seen is for painting home fresh and neutral colors and landscaping, to make it more inviting, the well-known curb appeal!
I have more info to share with you, if you like to receive it, let me know.
Irina Bennett
info@trianglehomeowner.com
Good question. All great answers below and I suggest, floors, lighting and kitchen. Although I personally love a fabulous master bathroom with all the luxuries. Just my two cents, but I thought Edith gave a well rounded response. ALL DEPENDS.
All the answers are great. Don't forget lighting. Updated lighting makes a difference, especially if it is bright. A high end designer from CA once told me that when people walk into a room, the first 2 things they see are the floors and lights.
I think kitchen is #1. More time is spent there by more people than any other room. Next would be any room that is dark and drab in color. Brightening up the home will make it look larger than it is. Master bedroom & Master bath are also important. Every home has it's own needs and a good Realtor can help you spend your money where it most counts to sell.

If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Please also visit my website at http://www.RaleighHomeSite.com .

Thanks for a great questions,
Ernie
Well the answer would be more specific if and when having seen a home, as the reasons of where to put the money is different for each home, as some work has been done and some not and that differs in each and every home, the size, price range and age of home also will require different items to be considered.

But in general the home should be uncluttered and personal items removed
Clean clean and extra clean, sparkling windows, clean floors (whether removing carpeting or cleaning or replacing it

If appliances are truly old and outdated, that may be a great place to replace, nice new and clean

And one of the easiest and probably least expensive ways of upgrading and getting a home ready for
sale is PAINT, may be not all the rooms, not even all the walls, just depends, but a few walls, a bathroom with an interesting en vogue color, will make a huge difference....

And if the home is decorated with outdated old curtains, may be removing them and replacing them
with shutters or mini blinds will bring the home to a more modern state.

But the places where money needs to be put could be very very different for another home.

A good Realtor will be great to give the right advice!
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties ---- EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
ROI....hands down, paint and cleaning.
-
It is crucial to determine if you are working with an obsolte floor plan.
If you are, take extreme care in spending real money.(as if there was another kind of money.)
-
Next the curb. If you can't get them in the door, you'll pay in the end.
Next Kitchen. Focus on everything the woman touches. (sue me)

Have a strategy.
Celebrate success.
Master bath, kitchen: need not be expensive but stainless appliances and granite countertops are still popular. If more than 12-15 years old roof, Hvac (of course this depends on expected lifetime of these systems). Buyers tend to max out on available funds so prefer not to have to update. Especially if you are competing with new home communities where upgrades are included.
Kitchens and the master bath. That.should return your biggest bang at 70.cents on tbe.dollar.

For.the most part, fresh neutral paint inside and out. New flooring is next, prefinshed hardwoods IF.tou can.get.at the.right.price. Last.is minor landscaping

I have been remodling and reselling homes for 20 years.

For.personal use is one thing, for ROI.and.resale, keep it under$10,000 or.you may never see a return on your money

Dear Seller,

The Kitchen and the Landscaping always make a lasting impression on a Buyer.
Call if you need help in the Raleigh, North Carolina area.

Susan Hunter
Northside Realty
919-616-6888