Mickpolaris, Home Buyer in

For a FSBO house I would like to use and electronic lock box. Can I buy a Supra iBox off of eBay and program it for use by local licensed Realtors?

Asked by Mickpolaris, Tue Jul 16, 2013

Answers

9
No. You have to be a licensed REALTOR to use those boxes as we pay a membership fee to use them. You'll have to use a combo box and they can be picked up at Lowes or Home Depot.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 16, 2013
Your best bet would be to use a combo lock box. To use an electronic ibox, you will have to hire a Realtor, they pay dues and fees in order to have that access.

Mick,

Unfortunately, you can not just buy a Supra and start allowing agents to use it as I'm sure others have already replied. You can however find an agent whom for a fee will show the property for you and enter it on the MLS for you as well. Which greatly increases your exposure, thus possibly adding to your bottom line. I hope this helped you.

Thank you!

Sebastian Smith, Realtor
JP & Partners
RE/MAX Realty Team #1 in Lee County!
No, sorry. Combination box is your best bet, and there is nothing wrong with using that instead.
You can get the combo lockboxes at any hardware store. If you don't want the combo box to be used anytime than just take it off and on when you have showings. Cheryl Coleman
Feel free to contact me on these types of issues.
As Steve mentioned your best bet would probably be to use a contractor lock box if you didn't want to be present during showings. Please feel free to email me information on the home you are selling. I would be happy to show it to any of my buyers if it suits their needs.
To get that silly LockBox, you will have to first get a License and then spend about $2000 in MLS fees and Broker fees. Then, the LockBoxes cost about $150 plus the sign-up and monthly fee for the service:
Plan on about $2500 for that Lock Box.
This is one of the many benefits you get for using a Realtor. A place to store the key is only a small part of the iBox. It records who showed the home and when. It also sends me a notification and I have an other service that requests feedback three times, and notifies me when the response is sent or when there is no response after three attempts. I can send that response to the seller if they want as well. Use of the box monthly fees and supporting software all necessary for these links cost me and other agents several hundreds year. The cost of doing business I guess. Again it is included with most listings including mine.