Home Selling in Alexandria>Question Details

Amy Andrews, Home Buyer in Charlotte, NC

Floor plan/tax records don't account for 100 square feet of a den/sunroom area in condo. Want to sell and account for this sq footage in asking price.

Asked by Amy Andrews, Charlotte, NC Mon Dec 30, 2013

The den/sunroom is fully functional (AC/Heat) and I actually have my home office in it. However, the floorplans of the condo, thus the tax records don't account for this. The units across from mine have a balcony rather than the den/sunroom and are used as comparables. I preferred the year-round living space rather than a balcony, so it is a tradeoff. Can I account for the 100 extra sq. feet in the asking price even though it may look like a higher price unit in the neighborhood? This is a difference of ~28K when I price by average sq. footage for the units sold in the area.

Answers

5
Check with the tax authorities and your condo assn to see if you can add the space. If so, it will help you. ( Ask the higher price anyway).

Check our website for offers

Bob and Nicole
Dear Amy Andrews:

If your unit is similar to those having a balcony, then most likely your den/sunroom is considered to be a limited common element, and therefore "owned" by the condo association. Back in 2011 I sold a first floor foreclosure unit whereby the patio was there, but never shown or mentioned in the condo documentation. If your condo is located in Fairfax, then I can easily pull up the recorded condo documentation. If it is the City, then I can go to the Courthouse and pull the documents from the courthouse records. (Just as I had done with the unit on South Washington Street.)
The majority of the condos with an Alexandria, VA address have increased in price since this Spring.
Would be delighted to market the your unit for you. Sincerely yours - Bob Lepelletier, Jr. - Borker Associate - Classic Realty - Annandale, VA 22003 (703) 310-7880 or bob@bobtherealtor.pro
Ms. Andrews,

Contac the local government Real Estate Assessment office and request a review. A Real Estate Appraiser should be sent to verify space. Take in consideration that once you increase the square footage the real estate taxes may go up a bit.

Maridol Garcia-Joy, Realtor, ABR, CAS, ASP
Long & Foster Realtors
Alexandria /Kingstowne Center
5911 Kingstowne Village Pkwy Ste 100
Alexandria VA 22315
Cell 703-655-0777
Office703-822-8327
Fax 703-2363510
maridol@LNF.com
http://www.maridolgarciajoy.LnFre.com
I LOVE REFERRALS!
Amy,

The value you can add to the sunroom depends on whether it is a year round space with heating and air. If it is the value of 100 additional sq.ft would be significant. Sometimes county assessments are off and that needs to be pointed out in the listing.
You can contact your Real Estate Assessor's office & let them know of the discrepancy . I had a home which had a functional Sunroom and we were able to use the square footage and get the tax records changed. In our case the square footage was significant. The city sent a Real Estate Appraiser out and verified the square footage. Hope this helps!