Joe, Home Seller in North Babylon, NY

Feedback on Showings

Asked by Joe, North Babylon, NY Sun Dec 14, 2008

Our house has been on the market for over a month and we've had 7 potential buyers come visit and 2 of them have returned for a 2nd viewing. Is it normal that none of them have provided any sort of feedback to our listing agent?

Answers

10
Every person is different. The agent should be able to contact the buyers or the agents who are showing the house and ask for an update on the showing. I usually find in my market area that we can get feedback the day of the showing or within a week if the buyers are traveling in from another area. Some buyers need time to think over the homes and then can relay the thoughts once they have digested the house vs their needs.
Joe,

I feel for you-seems like this is becoming the norm lately. I have had the same senario lately on one of my listings-great turnouts, 2 second showings-not a word from either of their agents. I gave them a day or two, then started calling-twice a day until I finally reached them. Unfortuanely is has not produced an offer "yet", but at least I know that they have not purchased a home yet, and are considering this one. I feel that buyers are on the fence, waiting to see what is going to happen to with rates-but at least I now know, what the hold up is and can pass the information along to my seller. Have your agent be the squeaky wheel!
Well Joe, your fortunate to have had 7 potential buyers come visit your home and even to have two 2nd showings is great. It's unfortunate that the showing agents have not provided any feedback. Have you asked your agent to call them again just for the feedback...good or bad? This is how you and your agent will determine what steps to take for future showings. Ask your agent again to make the calls...
Is it normal, no - unfortunately, all too common. Professional Realtors share professional courtesies with one another such as feedback on showings and attending brokers open houses. There are usually 2 agents on every transaction, the listing agent and the selling agent, so if an agent hasn't worked with an agent in the past, they will in the future.

With some agents, Real Estate is not their "main job". I myself experienced a similar situation with a listing in your area. No e-mail responses and only one returned phone call for feedback. Some selling agents also feel they are doing the listing agents job by providing feedback.

I would not recommend contacting the other agents directly. That is why you hired a Realtor. I would be more forthcoming with your Realtor about a pet or nicotine odor, clutter, etc. than I would be with a homeowner.

.
Hi Joe,
Not every showing agent will give the feedback, this is how it is, Sorry. I would ask you to make an appointment with your listing agent, go over with the current market analysis to see what's going on (under contract, closed) in your market. Also encourage the 2 buyers/agents to make an offer who came to see the house again, that will open the negotiation and you (we) will know what the buyer thinks of the price they want to pay for your house. If (some reason) those 2 buyers do not move forward, at least think of price reduction and find out what you could do to improve activity (may be accessebility, declutter, light & bright, etc..)Bill, Keith, Jim, Elvis, Karen's advise is right on the money.
Best Of Luck With....
Joe this is most amusing.....there are several ways of obtaining feedback. The most beneficial is direct telephone contact between the agents with a conversation specific to your property.

We think you should have a conversation with your agent about how he/she is requesting and getting important feedback on property. It doesn't sound like a direct contact method is being used.

JOe
Your problem isn't feedback. Your problem is a lack of showings. You need 10-12 showings in the first two weeks of market time (or one offer) and you have not achieved that goal. Look that the link below.

In my book failing to have enough showings means you are overpriced. Interest rates have just dropped, so I would ask your Realtor for a report of competing homes that have sold or entered escrow since your home hit the market.

Also, look that the 10-12 homes that your direct competition. Watch them like a hawk. Go over and see them yourself. If anyone of them lower their price, goes into escrow, then you need to respond.

Given the few sales in your area in order to sell you need to be price below market. Market time is the kiss of death, so to get the highest price possible, hope for a bidding war. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 14, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Joe,

Agents giving feedback is a rare event, and constructive feedback usually more rare. Elvis is correct in stating by not writing an offer, they let you know what they thought. But that's not to say they didn't like it or may be considering narrowing it down before letting you know. I've sent emails,phone calls, tried bribing, but with the proliferation of agents, not too many are as courteous as we want. i always try to communicate in a positive way to the listing agents what my buyers didn't like-if it has a solution. Sometimes prospects simply don't like the house.

One thing you might try is a guest book on the counter or near the door asking the buyer to simply give you one or two things they liked/disliked. It gets the agent off the hook, and buyers are more likely to let you know what they think while they're in the house.
Web Reference: http://www.JimMellen.com
It's not uncommon that you haven't received any feedback. Not every Realtor is courteous, and has the time to call and leave that information. (I agree, it's rude and obnoxious... but it's just how it is).

But they've already given you the most important feedback they can... they've not brought you an offer. I would have your agent "press" the two returning viewings... but let the other five go... their feedback has already been "thanks, but we didn't like it enough to bring you an offer".
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Joe,
I'm glad to see that you have had some activity on your home by potential buyers. I would suggest that you contact your agent and ask if they have attempted to get any feedback from the other agents that showed your home. Especially in light of the fact that 2 have had 2nd showings.
I have seen a rise in the number of agents that do not call or email with any feedback. Personally I will attempt to make contact with the agent for feedback 3 times before I give up.

Another tactic that you may want to discuss with your agent is the possibility of preparing an offer for the Buyers that saw your home twice. This may open the "discussion" and see if they are serious. I have done "reverse offers" in the past and have been successful. If your agent is not familiar with this tactic, maybe have them discuss it with their office Manager or Broker.
All the Best to You!!
Web Reference: http://GoPackerUp.com