Home Selling in Lakewood>Question Details

Kath513, Home Seller in Lakewood, NJ

FIRE INSPECTIONS FOR CLOSING IN LAKEWOOD, NJ

Asked by Kath513, Lakewood, NJ Wed Sep 29, 2010

I AM CURRENTLY SELLING MY HOME IN LAKEWOOD, NJ AND I KNOW FOR CLOSING I NEED A SMOKE/FIRE INSPECTION. I HAVE TALKED TO A FEW NEIGHBORS AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY HAVE CLOSED WITH A FAILED INSPECTION. I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW RISKY THIS IS AND IF YOU CAN RECEIVE ANY FINES AND WHO WOULD BE CHARGED WITH THE FINE...THE BUYER, THE SELLER, THE AGENCY OR THE ATTORNY?

Answers

1
Lyle Wolf’s answer
Your neighbors are foolish, don't follow their lead. Forget the fines, the real risks to you are legal with respect to liability if there is a fire after the buyers close and even worse if someone is injured or dies as a result. The fire inspection involves having working fire/smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and a fire extinguisher, in or by the Kitchen. None of these are costly and they are easy to install. Check out the specific requirements in your town, then do it right.