BoulderSuZ, Real Estate Pro in Longmont, CO

Empty versus lived in - which is better?

Asked by BoulderSuZ, Longmont, CO Thu Feb 10, 2011

With plenty of foreclosure inventory out there, does it make sense to stage a home or remain in a home when the sign goes in the yard? Does the owner's furniture help - if the pieces are in good condition and are not too large for the rooms that they are in? Your thoughts?

Answers

9
Home stagers will attest to the value of a well-staged home in eliciting the most positive impressions

As for the owner's furniture --- guess it depends on the furniture. Some stagers provide a service wherein they can inventory the owner's possessions, recommend which ones to keep and how to position them, and which ones to pack away or dispose of.

Many folks are very challenged in visualizing how a room would look, so it helps to give their eyeballs a little nudge with some eye candy. That's accomplished via creative staging.

Besides....if you are competing with foreclosures, etc. it becomes even more important for your property to stand out. And having it staged sets it apart.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 13, 2011
New home builders will stage a model and they sell a lot of homes from the model.
Vacant homes show larger.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other; but I'm going with lived in as long as it don't look too lived in.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
As agents should be well-dressed and well-groomed to make a good first impression, so should homes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 10, 2012
I'm in total agreement. You always put a smile on my face, Mack!
Flag Fri Apr 13, 2012
Quick UPDATE on the marvel of staging for 2014 -

We just had another home staged that had been on the market from April - August of last year without being staged with a FSBO approach.

It had a lot of taste specific items the first time around....

After we helped the seller's find contractors to replace paint and carpet and have it professionally staged we now have it under contract within 90 days of taking the listing in a higher price range!

It is amazing what a little help can do for a home in a buyers mind.

Cheers!
April Neuhaus
|||||||||||||||||||||||| UPDATE 2013 |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Stagers are proud of their work. Staging a home makes the property much more appealing. The secret is reduction. Spend at least three weekends clearing the house of a clutter. If you don't want rent a storage space, put it in the attic or the garage.

We helped a neighbor move their 50,000 vinyl record collection. I think the average SUV weighs less. They were clearing things out to rent their place.

It's a good habit to get into every spring. If you haven't used something for two years, it's a good candidate for the attic.

The stagers will do more.

You can make your home sparkle without hiring a stager. If you want to attract multiple offers, though, on your nice home, stage it.

Suz
Staging is better, isn't it. You don't need to hire a pro to come and tell you that you need to store some furniture, or add a few touches here and there. Go tour a home at one of the new communities springing up around town. Tip: You should do this anyway so you know your competition.

The builders don't care if you steal their ideas from their model home. I've walked tours in these fabulous model homes. Actually, I worked in the offices of these homes for a number of years. I never minded if people came to see the homes so they could learn or imitate us. It's actually flattering.

When you roll up your sleeves and go to work on the house getting it ready for showing, be sure to take a hard look at your house from the curb. Is there curb appeal? Some extra work now can make all the difference in the world when it comes to marketing your home. Curb appeal is what goes out front in the photographs used for advertising your home - unless someone has done an absolutely spectacular job with the interior.

All that effort has to be carried through to the entire property. Details, details, details ... You should go through your house a number of times to look it over before and after you have worked on cleaning and de-cluttered.

Final tip: Do not leave a home empty. Even a few items that accent the home's features is better than a blank canvas.

Much success to you!
Properties tend to sale faster if they are vacant. A vacant property that is well maintained allows the buyers to visualize their furniture in the property. 80 percent of the buying decision is based on emotion so buyers need to be able to actually "see" themselves in the property. The next best thing is a property that has been staged by a professional. It is clutter free and depersonalized. A vacant home is also convenient for agents to show the property. This means your home with get the most exposure possible.
Some buyers are able to visualize better than others. Staging done well brings out the best features of a home while providing enough space that allows buyers to move easily through the home. Some stagers opt for smaller furniture pieces. I think I prefer empty to an un-staged home.

Updating can transform a home. I'm excited for friends who updated their kitchen and dining area recently. The difference was absolutely stunning. The house will no doubt bring high offers.
Flag Tue Apr 10, 2012
Hi Suz,

I just had one home in which the sellers waited for the renters to move out even though that made them nervous about loosing the rental income during the time the home would be on the market. We were competing with a lot of REO's that were priced very low so I felt that it was going to be very important to have this home staged professionally to make it stand out as much better than our competition.

I am happy to say that even though it cost around $550 for staging a smaller home - we were able to get it under contract in the first week!!! We also had 3 different buyers pulling together offers that week and were able to choose the best one. It made a HUGE difference to get the clutter from the renters out and just stage it with tasteful decor. I would highly recommend staging to anyone in that circumstance.

April Neuhaus 970-213-9394
Quick update on the marvel of staging for 2014 - We just had another home staged that had been on the market from April - August of last year without being staged. It had a lot of taste specific items the first time around.... After we helped the seller's find contractors to replace paint and carpet and have it professionally staged we now have it under contract within 90 days of taking the listing in a higher price range! It is amazing what a little help can do for a home in a buyers mind.
Flag Wed Jan 22, 2014
Good job! That is so marvelous, April.

There are a lot of REOs out there and that may make sellers a bit nervous.

I'm glad to hear your story. Staging can make a big difference. Price brings the buyers. Staging sells the house.

Suz
Property Movers of Longmont
Flag Tue Apr 10, 2012
Thanks for acknowledging home builders, Phil! (That's what I used to do.)

It is true that a home that is bright and spacious sells well.

I give the edge to upgrades, great design and top line appliances. Yeah, people have to imagine themselves in a house. Then again, people seek out expressions of their personality and enhance that. There are people who want a completely finished product and they will bargain for it.

Those upgrades sometimes cut into builder profits. Sometimes the appliances in the model get left out of the deal.

These days, with so many red sales and foreclosure homes in the market, used appliances, pool tables, and even a construction contractor's equipment get pulled onto the bargaining table.

As generalities go, you're right, Phil. It probably does split down the middle.

SuZ
PML of Longmont
720 810 0683